First Fly that you tied and Caught a Fish With

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Found these a while ago in my childhood tacklebox, inside the bottle dated Nov '76 (I'd have been 9!)
View attachment 29871I'm sure that I had never heard of fly fishing, and most likely tied these in hand from sewing thread and feathers from a pillow.
I vaguely remember dangling them off a MN dock with my little yellow Zebco for sunnies
White Bear Lake? I'm going to have to watch Fargo now

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Lol - I've been in the bar where that interview scene was shot (waaaay before the movie). A lot of that movie was filmed around Brainerd, MN, which I just so happen to be flying into next week
My favorite scene from that movie.

Whenever someone mentions a lake in conversation I like to ask them “Oh ya, were ya going crazy up at the lake?”

No one ever gets the joke though 😃

Andy

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Lol - I've been in the bar where that interview scene was shot (waaaay before the movie). A lot of that movie was filmed around Brainerd, MN, which I just so happen to be flying into next week
Going to Paul Bunyan Land I suppose ?
;)

My mom taught school there way back when.

Have some hot dish while you are back there.
:)

Kyle Smith

Steelhead
First fish on my own fly - we had a pond my friends and I would trespass onto and fish when I was 10 years old. Garcia glass rod, Pflueger Medalist, and the first fly I ever even attempted : a hare's ear with no weight or bead. That pond had some nice crappies.

It must've been at least another year before my first trout on my own fly. I absolutely lit it up on the Boulder River, MT on my own Parachute Adams. My parents were shocked to witness me pulling in a couple dozen cutthroat and rainbows while they just caught a few fish with their bait rigs. I haven't taken any other fishing method seriously since that day.

Shaker Jake

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Over 50 years ago I bought Roy Patrick’s “Tie Your Own Flies”. Bought the book because the first pattern listed is a grey hackle yellow. That was my favorite fly, which I would formerly buy at Monkey Wards (which is also where I got my 2 tip bamboo rod for $3). Fished for Cutts in Salmon Creek (Vancouver) Tied up more than a 100 and gave many away at Christmas to my dad and brother. We even used em with success at Merrill.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Over 50 years ago I bought Roy Patrick’s “Tie Your Own Flies”. Bought the book because the first pattern listed is a grey hackle yellow. That was my favorite fly, which I would formerly buy at Monkey Wards (which is also where I got my 2 tip bamboo rod for $3). Fished for Cutts in Salmon Creek (Vancouver) Tied up more than a 100 and gave many away at Christmas to my dad and brother. We even used em with success at Merrill.
Some seasons - a yellow chenille, grizzly hackle, red tailed wooly worm is the ticket.
Love the color combo for other flies as well.

Reactions: Zak

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
I don’t remember my first trout caught on a fly I tied, something like a Mickey Finn, late 70’s North Fork of the Middle Fork Willamette.
First 3 steelhead were on trout gear and a size 9 Possie Buggers. First intentionally swung 2 hand fish were on something like Jerry French’s Disco Sculpin.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I seemed to catch more fish once I got tattered and ugly . . .

I seemed to catch more fish before I thought I knew what I was doing .

If I remember it’s been 50 years ago , it was single Renegade I tied , pretty basic tie . Caught a brook trout in the Unitas in Utah with it .

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My first trout caught on a self-tied fly was almost certainly a #12 Tied Down Caddis Buck.
I fished almost nothing besides this fly and a Spruce, using them to fish for cutthroat in NW Oregon coastal streams for my first several years of fly fishing.
tied down caddis.jpeg