First Fly that you tied and Caught a Fish With

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Split shot crimped to a sz 8 baitholder for a rolly polly imitation for trout and silvers in thornton creek. Once we knew they would eat something besides worms and pautzkes we cooked up some carey specials with a friends dads unused cheap kit, and no longer had to keep many.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Since I started tying 66 years ago at the age of 8, quarry was likely a Brookie in a beaver pond in the upper Big Hole Valley. The fly was undoubtedly misshapen, ugly and featured a gigantic head . . . o_O

Smalma

Life of the Party
My first fly that I had tied that caught a fish was when I was 11. Had been trying to fly fish for a year or so (knew no one that fly fished) and had read about fly tying. My aunt raised chickens and I had gleaned some loose feathers including some from a bantam rooster. In my clumsy way wrapped one feather along the shank with another in front of the first. It was on number #14 hook and somehow managed to fool a cutthroat trout on the South Fork of the Snoqualmie. The fly was so poorly tied that it can apart as I unhooked the trout. As my tying improved for the next decade that initial success the "pattern" became a staple in my chasing of the Snoqualmie forks cutthroat!

longputt

Steelhead
I caught rainbow trout with Carey's Special with a fly rod.....but....they were trolled.

My most memorable "first" fish was a cutthroat caught on a fly I simply dubbed the shank with seal's fur...it was the first fish I caught casting from shore; casting and retrieving on my own...not trolled!

Zak

Legend
My first flies were completely made up, but they caught some fish. The first fly "from a recipie" that I learned to tie was a black wooly bugger with a gold bead head. The second was a partridge and pheasant tail soft hackle wet fly with a green thorax. Those are still confidence flies for me. I was fishing Vermont rivers with browns and rainbows in them and Vermont streams with brookies.

kerrys

Ignored Member
To long ago to remember. First fish on a fly was a rainbow from the Rogue River. I was l around ten years old. I doubt the fly was home tied. My dad fly fished and gear fished. He didn’t tie flies so my guess is our flies were store bought. My dad didn’t think of fly fishing and gear fishing as different. Both were just fishing.

The first fish I caught on a fly I tied was likely a planted rainbow and the fly was probably a wooly bugger. Again long time ago.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
I think it was probably a TDC (Thompson's Delectable Chironomid) fished at Rocky Ford, circa 1989.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
I seem to catch more fish once they get tattered and ugly...
I seemed to catch more fish once I got tattered and ugly . . .

Islander

Life of the Party
I remember it like it was yesterday, only it was close to 20 yrs ago when I had first moved to Whidbey. The island fly club taught a tying class and I learned to tie a Carey-Bugger. I went the next day over to Lone Lake and caught a big ass rainbow. I was stoked!

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
The first fly I ever tied and caught a fish with was a damsel imitation. Was fishing a lake up in BC.

What was the first fly you tied and caught a fish with? What were you fishing for?
#14 PTN, fishing for rainbows in the Elwha.