• Cortland

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 10.0%

• Total voters

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Who’s your favorite and why? I’ve been happy with the life of my Airflo lines.
I, too, like Airflo because of their reinforced loops and super low-stretch cores. I have a FIST that's going on strong season number 5 this winter. Bridge makes some killer lines, too. They deserve to be in the poll.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I voted for SA (which should include Orvis tapers), which I like a hair more than the other 2 I like a lot which are Airflo and Cortland.

Orvis actually owns SA, their lines are just their own tapers, which I also like a lot. They have the perfect combination of really good tapers and longevity.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
I’ve had good experiences with recent generations of SA floating lines, intermediate, and their 3D sonar sinking series. I recently purchased a Cortland type 7 6/7 weight that’s significantly heavier than the Rio Deep 7 and SA Sonar 3/5/7 lines I fished with the same rod. I’ll need to try it with a 7wt if I want to cast it more than 40’. The Cortland is great for hanging a deep vertical presentation. Love the bright hang markers.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Wow, surprised at the lack of love for Rio.
Lack of Rio love isn't surprising on this forum as there' been a lot of Rio bashing (here and on the "other" site). I haven't been in too many fly shops lately but in my visits, Rio lines seem to have the most shelf space with Cortland rarely represented. I guess Rio's rep gets her done.

I have a decade old Rio Gold WF8F that's held up well, been my go to carp line since I bought it.

longputt

Steelhead
Brand loyalty is always a terrible idea. Every company, in every industry, has good products and bad products; you need to buy the best one for your intended purpose, regardless of the brand. I have owned good and bad lines from nearly all of the brands that you have listed.

FYI, Orvis lines are made by SA.
Many moons ago I had a pair of Hodgman waders and the Hodgman logo fell off and underneath was Orvis printed on the waders!

Chucker

Steelhead
Wow, surprised at the lack of love for Rio.

Lack of durability doesn’t make you very many fans, especially given the cost of fly lines these days. I shelled out for a rio line for winter steelhead, and it didn’t even last one season, so they lost me as a customer. I don’t really have a favorite of the other brands, I just won’t buy Rio.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
One other one that I actually really like is Barrio. I have a couple of the fast intermediate (almost like a type 2) that are absolutely awesome for lake fishing for trout. I have no idea where he sources his lines, but they seem to last and the tapers I've used (all for trout) are awesome.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Brand loyalty is always a terrible idea. Every company, in every industry, has good products and bad products; you need to buy the best one for your intended purpose, regardless of the brand. I have owned good and bad lines from nearly all of the brands that you have listed.

FYI, Orvis lines are made by SA.

Almost true, I know of one company with no bad products.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Lack of Rio love isn't surprising on this forum as there' been a lot of Rio bashing (here and on the "other" site). I haven't been in too many fly shops lately but in my visits, Rio lines seem to have the most shelf space with Cortland rarely represented. I guess Rio's rep gets her done.
Because to carry FarBank product (Sage, Redington, Rio) the shop has to devote a minimum amount of wall/shelf space for Rio.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Anyone have any experience with Bozeman Fly works . I have used their tapered leaders ,and so far they have been great ,also one of their sink tip lines , has worked well, not old enough yet to see how it holds up . Price is right , plus the reviews . I have their four spool set of fluorocarbon tippet, price is sure right ,compared to the major brands , and again the reviews are positive . Time will tell .

FishaLot

Team Dark Mode
Review of th Max catch DT?
A little back story first. I fish 3 and 4wts mostly. Many years ago I used Rio trout taper on most of my rods, over time I switched to SA trout mastery on all my rods. When the price of premium lines approached and surpassed the $100 mark, I thought I’d give the Maxcatch line a try. I have since purchased and use 4 different models, Gold on my Redington Ct, Grand on a cheaper Orvis backup rod, Avid on my Sage LLs and the DT Don’t recall off hand what reel that’s on, apparently haven’t fished it in a while.
I’m impressed and like them, no memory coil, float well and cast nice, so far have held up well after fishing them for 2 to 3 years I’ve used them. At the time of purchase I researched the tapers and grain wt, which are copies of the Rio lines. These lines are the $15 to $20 line, not the $5 and $10 line.
I don’t bother shopping clearance or the classified ads for lines any more, your mileage may vary but for $20 I’m glad I took the chance.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
SA for full floating, single hand, general purpose lines.
Guideline for some Scandi lines.
Rio for Skagit, full sinking single hand lines, and 3D single hand and 3D Scandi lines.
Nextcast for some 3D two handed lines (manufactured by Rio).
Gaelforce for mid to long bellied spey lines (again manufactured by Rio).
With all that, Rio definitely has the greatest presence in my heart. Knock on wood, my Rio stuff doesn't disappoint. Not the Rio of old like back in the windcutter, accelerator, mid spey, and old powerflex leader material days.
I now use Rio leader material and tippet exclusively now in fluro and regular mono. I used to be a Maxima guy.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
A little back story first. I fish 3 and 4wts mostly. Many years ago I used Rio trout taper on most of my rods, over time I switched to SA trout mastery on all my rods. When the price of premium lines approached and surpassed the $100 mark, I thought I’d give the Maxcatch line a try. I have since purchased and use 4 different models, Gold on my Redington Ct, Grand on a cheaper Orvis backup rod, Avid on my Sage LLs and the DT Don’t recall off hand what reel that’s on, apparently haven’t fished it in a while.
I’m impressed and like them, no memory coil, float well and cast nice, so far have held up well after fishing them for 2 to 3 years I’ve used them. At the time of purchase I researched the tapers and grain wt, which are copies of the Rio lines. These lines are the $15 to $20 line, not the $5 and $10 line.
I don’t bother shopping clearance or the classified ads for lines any more, your mileage may vary but for $20 I’m glad I took the chance.

Have seen those on Amazon , been tempted . Will give them a shot next time around . I invite some to also try those line from Bozeman Fly Works . For the price they will be hard to beat also , I believe they are $35 , and the one I bought came in a decent fly box .

I refuse to pay the price for fluorocarbon for the major brands , $35 for a four spool set with holder at Bozeman Fly Works , and they are 55 yd spools compared to most major brands at 30 yds.

kmudgn

Steelhead
I'm pretty much ok with about any of the "major" fly lines. I am partial to Cortland DT SYLK for my bamboo rods, but that is about it. I suspect that if I was Tarpon fishing it might make a difference, but for the Trout/LL Salmon that I mostly target about anything will work. I have enough ability to successfully cast most lines in the 2-9 wt range so it matters little to me what brand is on the reel. I generally buy whatever I can get for a "reasonable" price, but refuse the $100+ lines from my local shop.

Blaming poor casting on the line is like a tennis player yelling at his racquet. or a golfer breaking his clubs over his knee.

skyrise

Steelhead
SA, Cortland and for 3rd place probably Airflo. I would try Rio for spey/switch lines just not for trout although I did splurge for another outbound short again. My Sa/Cortland lines are going on 30 + years of service and that’s darn good. with so many brands being bought & sold who knows what to trust these days ?