Favorite Fishing Weather

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Sometimes -----^ this is okay

DSCF0028.JPG

(but it won't work for sneaking along the shoreline of a lake stalking carp ;-)

Not long after I snapped this picture, the rain turned to hail. Pretty soon the rain water and hail in my pram started sloshing around so I pulled my anchors, rowed ashore, unloaded the boat and tipped it upside down to drain!

Bonefish Jack

Steelhead
If you had to choose what your favorite fishing conditions are, what would they be?
I think this depends on the location and the quarry.

For example:

Bonefishing in the Bahamas, totally clear skies, no wind, and 80 degrees, are perfect conditions.

SF Snoqualmie in July, maybe cloudy and warm enough for wet wading.

Rocky Ford in January, hmmm … nothing is perfect …

Anyone have other specific examples?

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I think this depends on the location and the quarry.
^^^
Curtis Creek & small rivers, heavily forested, lots of shade, wet wading, long sleeves, long pants: clear - mid 70s - low 80s

Flymph

Steelhead
Fog/Mist. Rivers turn magical.
Was fishing a favorite lake one morning where you could not see 20ft in front of you due to fog. Anchored up, tossed out scud/micro leech and caught fish after fish. Wind drove fog off and fish "gone"!! 50s to 60s during the day with nights in the low to mid 40s. Sight breeze, lots of fog, and a mist. I can hear The Hound of the Baskervilles howling in the moors!!

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
For the Puget Sound area in early fall a SW wind, clouds and mist with mid 50 degree temperatures. Light drizzle is okay too.

On the tropical flats the best scenario is ample sunshine to spot fish and a light breeze to put a ripple on the water. Temperatures in the 80s to low 90s. Very dark clouds and light rain allow good fish spotting too, so long as the wind is calm.

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
Night….in the salt…wading…on the right tide. Your senses come alive, especially if there’s diminished light far behind you. An added plus is the billions of stars overhead on a clear night and the deafening silence.
You become the predator…unless of course one is fishing the south facing beaches of Cape Cod with an abundance of seals nearby.
Oh I like that. I used to fish for sea run browns at night in Scotland, the darker the better. You develop spidey senses, wading in the river at night in the pitch black is a fun but spooky place.

Dave

Zak

Legend
Oh I like that. I used to fish for sea run browns at night in Scotland, the darker the better. You develop spidey senses, wading in the river at night in the pitch black is a fun but spooky place.

Dave
I caught my first striper on a fly off a Cape Cod beach at night. I was standing in shallow water to the side of a strong rip. It was spooky and awesome!

Shad

Life of the Party
Regardless of temperature (between 50 and 75 is preferred), my favorite time to fish anywhere is on the back side of a high pressure trend, while the pressure is dropping. That seems to be the closest thing I've found to reliably "fishy" conditions. Sometimes, this means fishing in some rain as the low comes in, but that usually just makes it better...

...until the pressure hits the floor and the bite shuts down completely.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Nice weather this week. Still a bit warm for my liking.
Yesterday was perfect with clouds all day. It gets back into the 60's starting on Friday. Will be in the 50's were I'll be this weekend which is much more acceptable. Might even rain. ;) :ROFLMAO:
SF

5 Weight

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Going to be hot this weekend. (n) I've never told anyone before, but I'm not a fan of hot weather. ;) :ROFLMAO:
If you had to choose what your favorite fishing conditions are, what would they be?
Mine would be low to mid 50's with clouds or marine layer and a slight wind chop.
SF
I fished one of my favorite p&t lakes today. It started with cloud cover, some misty rain and light wind . It was “bobber down” every 5 to 10 minutes with some quality holdovers netted. Then the sun came out, the wind picked up and the bite completely died. Give me a drippy day any time.