Dunkin’ Lake Part Deux

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Headed back out to Dunkin’ lake today with @Kfish, this time with a new, more stable craft :). This week I picked up a Lost Creek X-Streamer….which is the exact same boat as an Outcast Fish Cat Scout but with a different skin. It comes with the Outcast owners manual, in and Outcast box but is sold under the Sportsman’s Warehouse brand. It’s also almost $400! dollars cheaper….and it’s in stock! I originally started my search looking for the Outcast and this boat kept coming up so I looked into it. Hell of a deal. If you are in the market and we’re considering the Outcast Fish Cat Scout, snap up one of these.

Why pay $799 and wait 9 weeks for this…..

When you can pay $421 and get this now….unless you have an aversion to chartreuse:).

Now to the fishing. It was good, especially early. It was a mix of cuts and rainbows. Fish ate all colors of buggers and bunny leaches. White, black, olive. Beadhead, no beadhead. Don’t know exactly how many I landed but the fishing was good. The biggest had its whole tail hanging over the 18 mark on the tape on my stripping basket. The fishing slowed after the first hour or so with random fish picked up here and there until I left the water at 11. Some bobber guys were there as well and seemed to have a little more consistent success later but I have no idea how to fish that way being such a newb to stillwater fishing. Another thing for me to pick up I guess. There were some fish swirling at the surface which got me excited a full fledge hatch might go off but it never materialized while I was there.

49B07D57-12A1-4C98-A402-E7869B7B2E3A.jpeg

AB834F7B-4F90-4B92-8854-997B5EAB112C.jpeg

E15B9F9E-8ACA-4042-B0E3-E249AA53EFEF.jpeg

ACB62B78-8637-4B27-ABCE-71CCB165DE82.jpeg

EAE9CFBD-34AE-4722-8036-057FC693635C.jpeg

0901DC19-1C4D-4C89-A660-7DC8BD7274D0.jpeg

1673BA1E-7B3A-49BD-8C60-9FBA988BDE14.jpeg

E21D00D2-3FBF-40FC-9812-413D581EC627.jpeg
On my way home I decided to stop at a beach because it was there….and this being my second weekend in a row fishing lakes, I missed the local SRC. Lost what felt like a really solid fish and landed two smaller fish in this class.

207A1FCE-EE4E-472A-B84D-034F2A12F86B.jpeg

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
Ok guys I'm mostly helpless fishing a lake but I'm willing to tempt fate and haul my yak out to Dunkin Lake and join you. When is part 3 going down?

What gear are you using for streamer patterns? Casting and retrieving a sinking line I assume? What size of flies have you been having success with?

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I plan on hitting it this weekend. Maybe twice if I decide to do a half day tomorrow.

I want to hit it early morning one day though as the fishing seems to be most consistent then. Let me know if you are interested. Saturday or Sunday I can make work. Not sure what @Kfish availability.

I have been casting a retrieving buggers and small bunny type leaches. Type 3 line but I bet an intermediate would work fine. 6 weight rod. Simple stuff. White, olive, black. Some bead head, some not. There have definitely been some swirls and emerger eats so I will likely have a floater rod rigged too. Still no bobber for me most likely. I have to do some research into that type of fishing.

E945E508-2925-4565-B4CD-F1E4EFC7C39D.jpeg

BBFB8F71-5CC0-4A94-BE87-2C062D915DC7.jpegC2AA517F-F043-4859-B877-404949CC6A2F.jpeg14DA92BA-1C60-41F8-A331-3ACB1CF25E04.jpeg

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
I plan on hitting it this weekend. Maybe twice if I decide to do a half day tomorrow.

I want to hit it early morning one day though as the fishing seems to be most consistent then. Let me know if you are interested. Saturday or Sunday I can make work. Not sure what @Kfish availability.

I have been casting a retrieving buggers and small bunny type leaches. Type 3 line but I bet an intermediate would work fine. 6 weight rod. Simple stuff. White, olive, black. Some bead head, some not. There have definitely been some swirls and emerger eats so I will likely have a floater rod rigged too. Still no bobber for me most likely. I have to do some research into that type of fishing.

View attachment 10361

View attachment 10362View attachment 10363View attachment 10364
What sizes/lengths am I seeing there Jason? Couple inches? Would a type 3 or type 6 be best? I haven't fished that lake in forever, but I remember it being on the deep side for a small lake.

Oh and it would have to be Saturday for me. Could probably make an early morning trip work.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
What sizes/lengths am I seeing there Jason? Couple inches? Would a type 3 or type 6 be best? I haven't fished that lake in forever, but I remember it being on the deep side for a small lake.

Oh and it would have to be Saturday for me. Could probably make an early morning trip work.

Hook size 6-8. A couple of inches. White bugger seemed to work best when sparely tied though it’s not like I have done this a ton. I have been fishing a type 3/5 actually. It has come in handy. I caught a lot of fish deeper, especially mid to late morning.

I’m down to head out Saturday. Weather looks better than Sunday too. Calling @Kfish.

I think I am also going to take tomorrow AM off or maybe even the whole day. Probably fishing saltwater. I miss the beaches…

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Dunkin’ Lake part trois was not worthy of a report from me. 2 small cutts that could have been twins and a smedium rainbow. @Kfish had the hot hand. Maybe he’ll post a pic of the pig or 8…10? he landed. Enjoying this lake thing though. Bass later this spring too probably? I miss rivers. It’s how I learned to fish. Lakes are a fun way to mix things up here in western WA when I want to take a break from saltwater. Probably should have started to try and figure this out 5 years ago or so ;).

8F5A36D7-C9E0-4AE1-A369-370856835C01.jpeg

2AC9F2E2-7C1B-45B7-8321-D338C8BB0987.jpeg

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I've been doing some research on that same float tube. After seen how big it is am going to go and buy one. I read the this float tube is made by Outcast for Sportsman's Warehouse. I can order one and pick it up in Bozeman or Helena.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've been doing some research on that same float tube. After seen how big it is am going to go and buy one. I read the this float tube is made by Outcast for Sportsman's Warehouse. I can order one and pick it up in Bozeman or Helena.
You will would like that boat. I’m sure there are lots of lakes reservoirs near you that will be great fishing! (Edited to encourage you to buy it). We also have reservoirs in Washington (and Oregon) that we fish.

Last edited:

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
The lakes here in Montana are few and well spaced out. Most of what are called lakes are a wide spot in the skinny water that was dammed up at one time or another. They called them reservoir's.

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
I REALLY don't need more toys right now, but my phone apparently remembered I looked at it and just notified me that the X-Streamer had dropped in price and is now only $335.....

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Boo, I should act like my grandma, head to SW and demand a price adjustment :).

Truly what I should do is buy another as backup. Really enjoying this boat so far.