Dimensions of assembled Colorado XT frame?

cody-

Steelhead
Can anyone with a Classic Accessories Colorado XT Pontoon post the dimensions of the assembled frame without the pontoons?

I'm looking at buying this spring (and a smaller CA Clark Fork pontoon for the gf) and wanted to know if the assembled frames could fit in the cargo area of a 2014 Subaru Crosstrek with the rear seats down. I haven't been able to find frame-only dimensions online and forgot to bring a measuring tape to Sportsman's Warehouse last time I was in.

Screenshot_20220401-122745-250.png

Steve_S

Smolt
Hey Cody, I am headed out the door but if no one answers I will get the dimensions to you later today.
I bought a water-resistant pet cover for the back of the Prius, break the XT in two and partially deflate. Takes 10-15 minutes to set up or break down.

cody-

Steelhead
Hey Cody, I am headed out the door but if no one answers I will get the dimensions to you later today.
I bought a water-resistant pet cover for the back of the Prius, break the XT in two and partially deflate. Takes 10-15 minutes to set up or break down.
I'd appreciate that. Luckily, my Crosstrek has a rubber lining on the cargo area + the back of the rear seats.

I figured reassembling the frames wouldn't be too bad, but being able to fit the assembled Colorado XT frame + the assembled Clark Fork frame on top of that would be ideal. Do you reinflate the pontoons with a hand pump or use an electric one powered by the car?

Steve_S

Smolt
Frame is 57-67" L (adjustable footrest) X 56" W assembled.

This works for me,
I leave the frame section with oar lock attached to each pontoon. Disassemble the seat and rear cargo tray (6 pins).
Partially deflate the tubes and fold over the frame on each end (protects the car from frame). oars on the bottom, tubes w/frame side by side on top of oars, then the seat and rear tray on top of the pontoons. In addition I can load a storage bin for wet gear and a couple rods with room to spare.

To assemble, lay all on the ground, reattach seat and rear tray, inflate with a hand pump (goes pretty quick, 3-4 minutes each side), assemble and attach oars and you are set. Electric pump is on the list of things to acquire.

Top of oar lock on the partially deflated tube is 16" H.

cody-

Steelhead
Frame is 57-67" L (adjustable footrest) X 56" W assembled.

This works for me,
I leave the frame section with oar lock attached to each pontoon. Disassemble the seat and rear cargo tray (6 pins).
Partially deflate the tubes and fold over the frame on each end (protects the car from frame). oars on the bottom, tubes w/frame side by side on top of oars, then the seat and rear tray on top of the pontoons. In addition I can load a storage bin for wet gear and a couple rods with room to spare.

To assemble, lay all on the ground, reattach seat and rear tray, inflate with a hand pump (goes pretty quick, 3-4 minutes each side), assemble and attach oars and you are set. Electric pump is on the list of things to acquire.

Top of oar lock on the partially deflated tube is 16" H.
Thank you so much for this information!

That means the frames aren't even close to fitting when assembled... but if I repeat your method for both boats (perhaps with more deflated tubes) I think I could make them fit. I'll post an update once I have the boats and figure out what game of Tetris I need to play with them.

cody-

Steelhead
Have you considered a roof rack system?
I haven't looked that closely yet. My car has a front-to-back roof rack. I'll have to look around and see if adding the OEM crossbars would be sufficient or if I'd need something beefier.

Freeing up interior space will be a necessity for future camping trips when we have a bunch of other gear. The alternative is putting both into their bags and fully assembling each time, but does anything ever really pack away again like it's supposed to?? 🤣

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I always car topped my pontoon- I built my own for a truck canopy on an old S-10. I bought a Yakima rack system for my SUV. Later on I bought a Yakima rack system for my full sized truck cap. One good NRS cam lock strap per side - good for freeway speeds. Just saying.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I haven't looked that closely yet. My car has a front-to-back roof rack. I'll have to look around and see if adding the OEM crossbars would be sufficient or if I'd need something beefier.

Freeing up interior space will be a necessity for future camping trips when we have a bunch of other gear. The alternative is putting both into their bags and fully assembling each time, but does anything ever really pack away again like it's supposed to?? 🤣
My Outcast PAC900 rides nicely on my Yakima racks.
20220322_190723.jpg

Last edited:

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
Can I ask why you want to buy this particular model of pontoon boat? You could easily buy a much much better boat for roughly the same price. If you bought a used high quality brand (which Classic Accessories is not), you could get boats for both of you cheaper than this boat.

(I used to work for a store that briefly sold CA boats and I had to assemble them and they were absolute garbage. If you want to know why I think this brand is junk, I would be happy to elaborate.)

cody-

Steelhead
Can I ask why you want to buy this particular model of pontoon boat? You could easily buy a much much better boat for roughly the same price. If you bought a used high quality brand (which Classic Accessories is not), you could get boats for both of you cheaper than this boat.

(I used to work for a store that briefly sold CA boats and I had to assemble them and they were absolute garbage. If you want to know why I think this brand is junk, I would be happy to elaborate.)
My initial reasoning: I like the overall design, the gear rack, the transport wheel, the ability to kick for trolling on lakes keeping hands on the rod while still having ores, which kick tubes I have used in the past haven't had. As for the gf, she doesn't fish but wants to be out on the water with me; said the Colorado is too large. Both CA boats are available in the Kennewick Sportsman's Warehouse location, so no long delays like others have had. Figured summer doesn't last forever, so I wanted to have an inflatable soon after I moved to WA later this month.

I can't find similar Buck's Bags boats anywhere, and haven't been able to for months. My buddy (whose spare float tube I often borrow) upgraded one of his to a Scadden Raptor (Predator maybe) and the thing punctured within 3-4 trips out, so I didn't really look there.

I'm open to other options (one option was a tandem kayak using the gf as a propulsion system as I fished) and was mostly using the CA boats as a reference that most would be familiar with. I'm a few weeks from finishing graduate school and haven't truly put much due diligence into this myself. I would appreciate any advice.

Last edited:

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Cody,

If your primary use is going to lakes and ponds with the occasional float down Class 1 rivers, an alternative to consider is Sportsman's Warehouse Lost Creek X-Streamer pontoon boat. This is in fact identical to the Outcast Fish Cat Scout and is made by Outcast for Sportsman's Warehouse. Sportsman's pricing is fantastic, especially in this current market with lots of boats out of stock. This is a frameless pontoon that, at 35 lbs, is half the weight and two feet shorter than the Colorado. You might want to consider this for your gf as well since it is 8 lbs lighter and 1 foot shorter than the Clark Fork and only $20 more at their current sale price. Deflated the Scout fit into Scotty's frameless bag which is 46in x 19in x 11in. I can fit the boat, oars, pump, swim fins into the bag as well. Their bag is well made if not a bit pricy. I'm sure larger hockey equipment bag would work as well.

I've had one of these for 5 years and love it. My 65 yr old back really appreciates the 35lb weight of these frameless boats. Up to this point I have only used it on stillwaters but have had the boat in some pretty good blows in the Canadian prairies. These frameless style pontoon boats have a lot of floatation and according to Outcast, only have around 2 inches of draft. I find mine to be almost as responsive and manoeuvrable as my float tube. Once you get used to using a shorter stroke with the oars, the pinned oars are very effective. You would have significantly less trouble fitting two of these in the back of your Crosstrek, although you would still have to partially deflate them. Picture below is a partially deflated Fish Cat Scout in the back of a Santa Fe. I transported mine on a rack above the tonneau cover of my Honda Ridgeline similar to Wanative's setup. I'm in the process of fitting a Thule roof rack system to a 2013 Honda CR-V I got this Spring and am going to try the inflated Scout on top of the CR-V as Buzzy suggested.

If you want to get fancy, I spent $20 on PVC fitting and $5 on paint and made trolling motor mount for my Scout, since they don't come with a motor mount at the back like Outcast's Stealth Pro has. I mount a C2 30 Minn Kota and use a 35 A-hr battery. I even added a wooden "transom" with a couple of dinghy wheels to the motor mount and can now walk the outfitted boat with motor and battery to the water in a single trip. Scotty strap-on mounts work great for rod holders, anchor mounts, etc.

Have fun with your new pontoon boat adventures, whatever boats you choose!

Ken

1m Stealthpro in frameless bag 46x19x11.JPG

z2a Scout Partially deflated in Santa Fe SUV.jpg
201706 11.jpg20200227_1152.jpg

Hobbyranch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Cody,

If your primary use is going to lakes and ponds with the occasional float down Class 1 rivers, an alternative to consider is Sportsman's Warehouse Lost Creek X-Streamer pontoon boat. This is in fact identical to the Outcast Fish Cat Scout and is made by Outcast for Sportsman's Warehouse. Sportsman's pricing is fantastic, especially in this current market with lots of boats out of stock. This is a frameless pontoon that, at 35 lbs, is half the weight and two feet shorter than the Colorado. You might want to consider this for your gf as well since it is 8 lbs lighter and 1 foot shorter than the Clark Fork and only $20 more at their current sale price. Deflated the Scout fit into Scotty's frameless bag which is 46in x 19in x 11in. I can fit the boat, oars, pump, swim fins into the bag as well. Their bag is well made if not a bit pricy. I'm sure larger hockey equipment bag would work as well.

I've had one of these for 5 years and love it. My 65 yr old back really appreciates the 35lb weight of these frameless boats. Up to this point I have only used it on stillwaters but have had the boat in some pretty good blows in the Canadian prairies. These frameless style pontoon boats have a lot of floatation and according to Outcast, only have around 2 inches of draft. I find mine to be almost as responsive and manoeuvrable as my float tube. Once you get used to using a shorter stroke with the oars, the pinned oars are very effective. You would have significantly less trouble fitting two of these in the back of your Crosstrek, although you would still have to partially deflate them. Picture below is a partially deflated Fish Cat Scout in the back of a Santa Fe. I transported mine on a rack above the tonneau cover of my Honda Ridgeline similar to Wanative's setup. I'm in the process of fitting a Thule roof rack system to a 2013 Honda CR-V I got this Spring and am going to try the inflated Scout on top of the CR-V as Buzzy suggested.

If you want to get fancy, I spent $20 on PVC fitting and $5 on paint and made trolling motor mount for my Scout, since they don't come with a motor mount at the back like Outcast's Stealth Pro has. I mount a C2 30 Minn Kota and use a 35 A-hr battery. I even added a wooden "transom" with a couple of dinghy wheels to the motor mount and can now walk the outfitted boat with motor and battery to the water in a single trip. Scotty strap-on mounts work great for rod holders, anchor mounts, etc.

Ken

View attachment 10549

View attachment 10546
View attachment 10547View attachment 10548
Really nice setup!

cody-

Steelhead
Cody,

Ken

View attachment 10549

View attachment 10546
View attachment 10547View attachment 10548
That's a really nice setup! I was leaning framed because I though frameless meant less hard points to use for customization, but it seems like I just need to be more imaginative haha. 👍

As for my planned pontoon/tube usage, I'd estimate (keep in mind I haven't even moved yet) 40% lower Yakima/Tapteal Water Trail, 30% Columbia basin lakes, and 30% high lakes. Seeing as I've been bigger waters (Strawberry Reservoir UT) on smaller boats (Outcast Fat Cat) and done fine (pic), I'm now persuaded to go frameless for the first boats which will help save up for the tandem kayak the gf has since clarified that she wants in addition to the pontoon.

IMG_20211018_111014786_HDR~2.jpg

Steve_S

Smolt
All good points mentioned above to think about for yourself (look at the kayak/tube threads, 10,000 variations of what everyone thinks is the right answer, and it is, for them) :giggle:
Good luck finding the right setup for you and your GF, Cody! All choices and compromises. I have both framed and frame less. Most of the time I take the framed to the lake. Looking at the 10-20 set ups on the lake yesterday and they all varied. Boats, pontoons, float tubes (3-4 kinds) and yaks.
If you can, try them out. I would bet most everyone on here would let you try out their setup if you wanted to meet them. Better yet, wait until you move and experience the waters you are talking about before you purchase. This would also mean you do not have to move the darn things!
Is the XT the best model out there, probably not, was the price and availability good (Half price good used condition), for me, yes. Does it hold air, assemble and disassemble easily and do I catch fish in it, yes.
Would I like a pram/dingy as well, yes. Do I want a boat for Puget Sound fishing and crabbing as well, yes. Should I ask everyone on here what they think, yes you might hear a tidbit you really need to consider. Will you go nuts trying to make sense of all the replies, yes :ROFLMAO:. Have fun and let us know what you decide!

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
All choices and compromises.
Cody,

Steve's comment sums up choosing a boat perfectly. You're always going to have to juggle your boat wants/needs with what vehicle you have access to, etc. There's no one best solution for all situations. Your comment about using your imagination will be key. For instance if you think the X-Streamer will work for you right now , you might want to consider flipping your budget and get the X-Streamer pontoon for you and kayak for your gf instead of a second pontoon. A man can never built up too many points with the significant other!!

Steve's comment about checking out kayak threads and boards is also a really good idea. There seems to be a lot more experimentation within the kayak community and that is going to further expand with the increasing variety of inflatable kayaks, paddleboards, etc. I'm using a simple steering system for my trolling motor that is a copy of idea from this video.

The newer Outcast frameless boats, like the Lost Creek X-Streamer/Fish Cat Scout come with patches - 2 in the case of the X-Streamer- for Outcast's Integrated Gear System. My 2014 1st generation Scout only came with one fixed storage bag and no Integrated Gear System patches. I got a Scotty 266 strap-on mount with fly rod holder for the first season and experimented with different locations and configurations for the rod holder. Being left-handed, I eventually settled on having the rod holder on the front part of the left pontoon. I then went ahead and added a permanent Scotty Glue-on mount for the rod holder. I now use the strap-on mount with the Scotty anchor lock at the back of the boat when I'm not using the motor mount. I added a Scotty rail mount to my PVC motor mount and put the Scotty anchor lock on the rail mount when using the trolling motor.

I also added a second permanent glue-on patch on the right side behind the seat for a second cargo bag. Similarly, it took a couple of seasons of experimenting locations for the strap-on mount for my Fishin Buddy sonar before landing on my current location on the right side in front of the stripping apron. I'm going to stick with the strap-on mount for the sonar since it keeps the sonar lower. I added a Scotty glue-on paddle clip beside my right oar and use it for my landing net.

I think continuing evolution/experimentation and flexibility is the key when dealing with these frameless pontoons. Although I was initially sceptical, the rod holder pouches on the outside of my Scout permanent cargo bag and on my add-on cargo bag provide a really secure way of keeping a second rod. The only negative is that quite a bit of the rod extends past the back of the boat. Last fall I added a rod holder on the front right pontoon for a stowing a second fly rod. I used a box cutter to modify a cheap spinning rod holder I had lying around and attached it to the boat with glue-on Velcro strips. Much less of the second rod extends past the back of the boat. I have seen pictures of other guys using the foot bar and bungee cords to secure their second/third rods.

Ken

p.s. And yes, I do actually find time to fish with boat after all the additions/modifications!

20210613_031837752.jpg

20210708 1.jpg
20210708 3.jpg
5c2 Rod storage.JPG

Last edited:

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
@cody- sorry for the delayed response but I tried to cut off a fingertip when making dinner last night and it was too difficult to type with only one hand.

Anyway, briefly, if you decide that you want a pontoon boat vs. some other type of watercraft, I would look for an Outcast, Buck’s Bag or Catchercraft pontoon. As someone mentioned, Outcast also private labels some boats for stores like Sportsman’s Warehouse, although from what I have seen, they are/tend to be their lower quality boats. A used good condition Outcast, Buck’s Bag or Catchercraft would be a much better choice than the CA pontoon. However, if you found a really old Scadden boat, the tubes could have been made by Aire/Outcast and you can often tell from the logo on the valve cap. Again, if an old Scadden has been well taken care of and the price it right, it would be a better choice.

What makes these boats different than the Classic Accessory boats? It mainly comes down to the quality of materials as well as fits and finishes. The CA boats use fabric shells and I have seen many of these shells split because they had sun damage/rotten fabric. I have seen them split at the seam area. Sometimes this happens on fairly new boats as they were overinflated or left in the hot sun without bleeding some air out. A pontoon with a PVC shell is far superior. A PVC shell that has welded vs. stitched seams (for instance, Outcast high-end tubes vs. their Fish Cat line) is even better. However, on a bladdered tube, the zippers will still be stiched in (a good practice is to put some Seamgrip on the stitches to help preserve them). The debate on bladdered vs bladderless is endless and comes down mainly to preferences of the various pros and cons of each so I won’t go into it here. But, in a high quality boat like Outcast or Buck’s, I wouldn’t worry about either style of tube.

A bladdered pontoon generally comes in two types of quality/cost: the best is a welded PVC shell with a high strength, lightweight urethane bladder or a cheaper stitched PVC shell with a PVC bladder. If you are buying used, try to find the first type of pontoon. If it is a bladderless pontoon, look for a welded vs. glued pontoon.

Next is the type of frame material of the pontoon boat: aluminum, stainless or steel. Aluminum and stainless are the preferred materials due to weight and corrosion resistance. Steel, like CA uses, is very heavy and prone to rust, especially inside the tubing/pipe and any place that isn’t painted (most brands) or powder coated. Eventually, the paint will chip in places and then you’ll have a rust spot. So, look for an aluminum or stainless frame. In my experience, most of the steel frames used by low end manufacturers have poor fits, finishes and tolerances and it’s not uncommon to need a rubber mallet to assemble them or a screwdriver to clear paint out of holes, etc. Sure, there are some well-made steel frames and they are more robust but you will pay a lot more for them than a CA or similar low end boat.

On a higher end boat, the included accessories will be of a higher quality, from the oars and oar locks to everything else. The CA looks like a bargain because it comes with so many accessories. However, that is how they get away with marketing a low-end boat and making it look appealing. Plus, some of them, like the wheel, will be needed because that thing weighs a ton! If you get a better quality lighter weight boat, you won’t need a cart just to go a short distance. Heck, I have a two-person high end Outcast (welded tubes, urethane bladders, aluminum frame) and I can lift on top of my roof racks all by myself - and I am a short 62 yr old woman.

As for whether or not to get a framed pontoon or something frameless like the Outcast Stealth or a WaterMaster, will depend on your intended use. I have a garage full of different fishing watercraft, both framed and unframed (a couple of WaterMasters and even an old Tote-N-Float). I have float tubes, a hardshell fishing kayak and several inflatable fishing kayaks as well as a wide, stable fishing canoe and some packrafts - in addition to a lot of non-fishing watercraft. (Some people think that I have a boat problem, LOL) Like anything, which one I select on any given trip depends on the where and how I will be fishing.

A framed pontoon excels if you have to row any distance, especially in the wind, and it will be better in a river if you need to ferry or do quick maneuvers in heavy water. If you leave them completely set up and as suggested above, simply break them in half, they aren’t that much more time consuming to set up/tear down. But truthfully, a frameless boat is just so damn convenient that lots of people chose convenience over performance. I admit that I often grab my WaterMaster for this reason. But when I know I will be on a big lake with strong wind (which means almost any time in E Wa) or anything more than Class 1 on a river, especially a bigger river, I prefer one of my pontoon boats. A great happy medium, is a Catchercraft Freestone, especially with the breakdown frame as you can strip it down and use it like a kickboat (without oars) or use the full frame.

As for which one to get your GF, it depends on if she will only go with you on lakes or large slow rivers like the Columbia. If this is the case, she might enjoy a kayak better as she can go explore more easily. However, if she will also be floating rivers like the Yakima, unless she has lots of river kayaking experience or is interested in developing those skills, I would steer you away from a kayak for her - and this is coming from someone who loves kayaks and used to teach kayaking. I think that another pontoon or frameless boat would be a better choice if she will be doing rivers like the Yakima (from Rosa upstream). She won’t need the skills it takes to kayak a river and just as importantly, she won’t get as frustrated waiting for you all the time as a kayak is a much faster vessel and harder to slow down. Instead, you might consider getting one framed pontoon and one frameless one as then when you are by yourself, you have options. But if she won’t be floating rivers like the Yakima with you, I would definitely consider a sit-on-top kayak for her.

Oh, also get an electric pump that goes into a cigarette lighter outlet. You don’t need to get an expensive one (I get them at Goodwill for $3-$5) as you only need to fill it up 90% as you’ll want to top it off by hand anyway. These days, I prefer a compact K Pump as my top-off pump as it is so easy to take along on my boat, which I always do. No matter what type of boat(s) you get, get boats and accessories that make it easy and fairly quick for you to get out on the water and have fun!

Last edited:

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
@cody- If you want an awesome boat for a great price, I just saw this on CL. It has two air chambers per tube, which is rare in all but the best (bigger) welded tubes. The frame is almost certainly aluminum. This boat is 10x’s a CA boat and an absolute steal if it is in good shape.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Cody,

Steve's comment sums up choosing a boat perfectly. You're always going to have to juggle your boat wants/needs with what vehicle you have access to, etc. There's no one best solution for all situations. Your comment about using your imagination will be key. For instance if you think the X-Streamer will work for you right now , you might want to consider flipping your budget and get the X-Streamer pontoon for you and kayak for your gf instead of a second pontoon. A man can never built up too many points with the significant other!!

Steve's comment about checking out kayak threads and boards is also a really good idea. There seems to be a lot more experimentation within the kayak community and that is going to further expand with the increasing variety of inflatable kayaks, paddleboards, etc. I'm using a simple steering system for my trolling motor that is a copy of idea from this video.

The newer Outcast frameless boats, like the Lost Creek X-Streamer/Fish Cat Scout come with patches - 2 in the case of the X-Streamer- for Outcast's Integrated Gear System. My 2014 1st generation Scout only came with one fixed storage bag and no Integrated Gear System patches. I got a Scotty 266 strap-on mount with fly rod holder for the first season and experimented with different locations and configurations for the rod holder. Being left-handed, I eventually settled on having the rod holder on the front part of the left pontoon. I then went ahead and added a permanent Scotty Glue-on mount for the rod holder. I now use the strap-on mount with the Scotty anchor lock at the back of the boat when I'm not using the motor mount. I added a Scotty rail mount to my PVC motor mount and put the Scotty anchor lock on the rail mount when using the trolling motor.

I also added a second permanent glue-on patch on the right side behind the seat for a second cargo bag. Similarly, it took a couple of seasons of experimenting locations for the strap-on mount for my Fishin Buddy sonar before landing on my current location on the right side in front of the stripping apron. I'm going to stick with the strap-on mount for the sonar since it keeps the sonar lower. I added a Scotty glue-on paddle clip beside my right oar and use it for my landing net.

I think continuing evolution/experimentation and flexibility is the key when dealing with these frameless pontoons. Although I was initially sceptical, the rod holder pouches on the outside of my Scout permanent cargo bag and on my add-on cargo bag provide a really secure way of keeping a second rod. The only negative is that quite a bit of the rod extends past the back of the boat. Last fall I added a rod holder on the front right pontoon for a stowing a second fly rod. I used a box cutter to modify a cheap spinning rod holder I had lying around and attached it to the boat with glue-on Velcro strips. Much less of the second rod extends past the back of the boat. I have seen pictures of other guys using the foot bar and bungee cords to secure their second/third rods.

Ken

p.s. And yes, I do actually find time to fish with boat after all the additions/modifications!

View attachment 10576

View attachment 10590
View attachment 10593
View attachment 10598
Nice work on the customizations.