Deschutes - More fisher folk than salmon flies

This week on the Deschutes I learned that fishing has become a strategic sport. Not in regard to reading water, fly selection, or line management in wind or current, but in negotiating crowds.

Unfortunately, the number of guided groups seemed a lot thicker than the bugs this year, and it was all we could do to find open spots to fish - before, between or after other fishers. I didn't like the sense of competing for spots, nor the anxiety over finding an open campsite. I go to the river to escape anxiety and competition!

Surprisingly, camping didn't prove to be a problem (although it seemed as though we always got the last room at the inn), but finding places to fish was more of a challenge than I remember from years past. We could never be sure whether the bite was off or the pressure was on (or both). I don't think the culprit was the number of people on the river. The number of river passes is already regulated and the fishery is quite robust. The root cause seems to be the tight concentration of boats.

I suspect that if campsites could be reserved, anglers might feel easier about staggering their departure times to avoid other groups. this might dilute the pressure on the fish a bit, and boost enjoyment for everyone. Without the rush to claim a spot groups could prolong their float time, spread out more, and have a much more leisurely day fishing.

An equitable reservation system would also lessen the pressure on outfitters, who would no longer need to need to hire bullet boats to stake a claim to group sites (which seems a lot better for their business). Better still - no more worries about finding a home for the night. This seems like a win all around without the need for tighter regulation or rules.

That said I still came away feeling privileged to have floated. The river is a marvel; the campsites are clean and the folks I've met are nearly all courteous and great to meet. The fishing wasn't as hot as I've seen it, but there's still nothing like the thrill of large redsides on dry flies!

Oh - here's my entry for cover photo for next month's Old Guy Goes Fishing magazine. (Subscribe now!)

Attachments

• IMG_3555.JPG
    IMG_3555.JPG
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 123