Deschutes - More fisher folk than salmon flies

This week on the Deschutes I learned that fishing has become a strategic sport. Not in regard to reading water, fly selection, or line management in wind or current, but in negotiating crowds.

Unfortunately, the number of guided groups seemed a lot thicker than the bugs this year, and it was all we could do to find open spots to fish - before, between or after other fishers. I didn't like the sense of competing for spots, nor the anxiety over finding an open campsite. I go to the river to escape anxiety and competition!

Surprisingly, camping didn't prove to be a problem (although it seemed as though we always got the last room at the inn), but finding places to fish was more of a challenge than I remember from years past. We could never be sure whether the bite was off or the pressure was on (or both). I don't think the culprit was the number of people on the river. The number of river passes is already regulated and the fishery is quite robust. The root cause seems to be the tight concentration of boats.

I suspect that if campsites could be reserved, anglers might feel easier about staggering their departure times to avoid other groups. this might dilute the pressure on the fish a bit, and boost enjoyment for everyone. Without the rush to claim a spot groups could prolong their float time, spread out more, and have a much more leisurely day fishing.

An equitable reservation system would also lessen the pressure on outfitters, who would no longer need to need to hire bullet boats to stake a claim to group sites (which seems a lot better for their business). Better still - no more worries about finding a home for the night. This seems like a win all around without the need for tighter regulation or rules.

That said I still came away feeling privileged to have floated. The river is a marvel; the campsites are clean and the folks I've met are nearly all courteous and great to meet. The fishing wasn't as hot as I've seen it, but there's still nothing like the thrill of large redsides on dry flies!

Oh - here's my entry for cover photo for next month's Old Guy Goes Fishing magazine. (Subscribe now!)

Attachments

• IMG_3555.JPG
    IMG_3555.JPG
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 123

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Nice photo! Glad you got into some.

Last Monday I almost headed out there....I knew it would be crowded, but after hearing just HOW crowded, I'm glad I went after tigers instead. I usually try to hit the hatch at least once every year, usually early on in the hatch but from the sounds of that it seems as if it were more crowded than usual as well. The last few years, I've more focused on those tiny single fish holding spots that most folks pass up. Shoot, some are right next to where I see most folks rigging up, but oddly enough, don't get fished. I just can't handle the crowds any more....even a few people.

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I usually figure that by the time I get to Locked Gate I'm done - both literally and figuratively. In past years the banks have been lined with fishers. This year was a weird contrast to that and to the congestion up river. More people were fishing river left via boats than river right accessed from the road.

I'm sure that Mecca was mobbed, but everyone and their brother was floating. (Not too many sisters on the river, but that's a separate topic!)

steelheardr99

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
After my one-day float last week i am keeping off the river for at least another week too many boats and people. I am going lake fishing.

I was out there on Sunday and there was only a handful of anglers (lower deschutes) in a pretty well known stretch of water. Everyone seemed happy enough to share tidbits of earned knowledge on the bank.

steelheardr99

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
yes the lower river below Maupin does not get the same traffic as warmsprings to Maupin, hell on the warmsprings to troutcreek section this weekend there are 650+ boating permits sold every day. I will start again next week going in the middle of the week at least it should be less folks down their.

Crawbugger

Steelhead
I’m fishing Sunday thru Thursday. Floating a couple of those days, but having the res pass is Priceless. The fish will still be 👀 for the big bugs. And the caddis should start turning on.

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
A friend of mine went there recently. Said many folks even had an extra boat follow them with camping gear to overnight at their fishing spots on shore. A scene like that would be a real buzz-kill for me.

JS

Mankie Old Chum
It’s gotten so wild down there. The trout fishing can be so good, but I just can’t be bothered. I bet the carp flats out front were pretty quiet, lol

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
It’s awesome 48 weeks out of the year. And still pretty fun the rest.

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
A friend of mine went there recently. Said many folks even had an extra boat follow them with camping gear to overnight at their fishing spots on shore. A scene like that would be a real buzz-kill for me.
...and not to mention illegal according to the terms of the boater's pass!

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Sounds pretty standard. Guide and clients stop and fish during the day while the swamper rows the gear boat ahead and sets up camp.

JS

Mankie Old Chum
Not if the bagger has their own boater pass.

Sorry, but I gotta kind of chuckle at all the outrage. It’s the D in May. Might as well bitch about traffic in Seattle at 5:30 on a weekday.
I remember hitting it for the first time with some friends of my dad when I turned 18 back in 2002, and it was just as packed as it ever is now. After only fishing the yak and Idaho/Montana trout streams up to that point, I couldn’t believe how many people were fishing down there.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Sorry, but I gotta kind of chuckle at all the outrage. It’s the D in May. Might as well bitch about traffic in Seattle at 5:30 on a weekday.

exactly!

pretty easy to avoid...

Reactions: JS

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I know I do 😡 😜

Whining, crying, bitching about I 5 traffic and other areas … Weat Seattle perhaps…I incorporate it has a decompressing method, helps me vent some but my wife and kids sure hate hearing me do it. 🤯

steelheardr99

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
In all honesty once the salmon fly hatch is over its not bad, As for the weekends if you want to do a three day float trip go for it as the majority of boaters passes sold are to rafters so plenty of fishing spots available just know certain large camp spots will be full but there are others available just plan in advance.

Reactions: JS