Deschutes Closes For Steelhead 6/1

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
This was expected, still hard to take. I have never caught bass while steelheading on the Deschutes, but I fish above Sherars. Do bass fishers catch steelhead with regularity? It seems that trout fishers are as, or are more likely to have steelhead as by-catch.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
This was expected, still hard to take. I have never caught bass while steelheading on the Deschutes, but I fish above Sherars. Do bass fishers catch steelhead with regularity? It seems that trout fishers are as, or are more likely to have steelhead as by-catch.
I don't think it has to do with by-catch so much as people claiming fishing for bass with their spey rods, spoons, and bobber/jigs last year.

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
I don't think it has to do with by-catch so much as people claiming fishing for bass with their spey rods, spoons, and bobber/jigs last year.
I knew that people fished for “salmon” with steelhead gear last year, I didn’t know people were fishing for “bass” in the same manner.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Well notice that they said in the announcement that they're closing bass due to "similar gear used..." - we all know bass gear and steelhead gear and tactics are not that similar. But when you have guys trying to pioneer swinging spoons and spey rods for bass on the lower D... they now use similar gear and tactics, so we close both.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So I guess this kind of closes trout spey as well. While I may use a 3wt its still a 12' rod, skagit head with a tip and 10# floro. Shoot, my trout spey flies are way bigger than my steelhead flies. They say not to target steelhead water, and kind of list what that is, but I trout spey the fast riffles a lot and we all know steelhead nose up to those in the summer.

Time to put some shad slime on the Meiser I guess!

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So I guess this kind of closes trout spey as well. While I may use a 3wt its still a 12' rod, skagit head with a tip and 10# floro. Shoot, my trout spey flies are way bigger than my steelhead flies. They say not to target steelhead water, and kind of list what that is, but I trout spey the fast riffles a lot and we all know steelhead nose up to those in the summer.

Time to put some shad slime on the Meiser I guess!
Scandi compact, brutherr!

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Ugh I just posted up a new thread on this as it just hit my news aggregator.

I'll go hunt it down and kill it.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I hope the state troopers will know to what to look out for and check rigs, because based on stories of guides "fishing for salmon" last year, there will 100% be guides outfitting their clients with a trout spey rod with a little hartwicks hilton or muddler and having them fish 3-6 feet deep water with a fast walking pace.

JS

Mankie Old Chum
Forum Supporter
What happens if the numbers tick up? We’re just done with steelhead fishing no matter what happens, I’m afraid.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So this is mostly about upper Columbia & Snake trib fish that use the lower D as a cold water sanctuary. I get it and mostly support it. It's hard though, especially given the early fish counts-
1654186854678.png

Looking MUCH better than last year so far. Even over the 10 year average for wild fish! My guess is most of these are not Deschutes fish yet.

Also, the closure is over on Aug 16th so if these numbers continue it could be a good late summer & fall on the big D and we will have protected a lot of upper Columbia & Snake fish.

Any good news on the stupid water mixing at Round Butte dam?

Reactions: JS

Justadd Water

Just Hatched
I’d say that would be good move but, only if they close ALL steelhead fishing (including commercial and tribal) on the entire Columbia basin for a few years. I love fishing for steelhead but, would support it. These halfassed closures make no sense.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Just my opinion, I don’t think closing steelhead fishing on the entire Columbia basin for a couple years is going to greatly improve returns. Especially closing sport fishing.
Closing things is a lot easier then ever getting them back open again.
SF

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
A down-sized gb skunk or freight train for “trout” should keep the steelhead “trout” off the hook and safe. 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

Reactions: JS

ianpadron

Steelhead
Just my opinion, I don’t think closing steelhead fishing on the entire Columbia basin for a couple years is going to greatly improve returns. Especially closing sport fishing.
Closing things is a lot easier then ever getting them back open again.
SF
Spot on. And as much as many anglers would love to disagree, the data supports your opinion.

CnR sport angling has zero effect on future run size/escapement.