Deschutes Closes For Steelhead 6/1

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
As I understand it(I've already been wrong several times!) we need to get about 2K more wild fish over Bonny by the 31st and then it will open mid-August.

Seems weird that we are right around our 10 year average but just barely going to qualify for a season. Guess that means it should have been closed a lot more than just last year!

Skagittarius

Steelhead
Really sorry to see this. I love that river and for several years it was part of my annual swing though the Columbia river system where we fished the Deschutes in Sept, the Grand Ronde in Oct, and the JD in Nov chasing those summer run fish. I hope this is the bottom and it's up from here starting this year.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Steelheading on the lower D this fall.

Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 12.29.19 PM.png

Quoted from Deschutes Angler's fishing report

"Be warned, if you are new to steelhead fishing, that some people get very territorial about "their" spots. You will see people with chairs set up on the river's edge waiting for the sun to go behind the hills. They are waiting on their spot. I have seen some waiting with a handgun visible on the tailgate."

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Steelheading on the lower D this fall.

View attachment 28184

Quoted from Deschutes Angler's fishing report

"Be warned, if you are new to steelhead fishing, that some people get very territorial about "their" spots. You will see people with chairs set up on the river's edge waiting for the sun to go behind the hills. They are waiting on their spot. I have seen some waiting with a handgun visible on the tailgate."

No holding spots, if you aren't fishing or at least preparing to fish, like putting your waders on, it's fair game..
Worth getting in a confrontation over? Nope.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yeah that’s not good. Maybe move in a den or two of rattlesnakes and spray the area with some sweet sugar attractant for mosquitoes…. Definitely keep me away.

But I never knew the D got that bad. It’s kinda sad.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Yeah that’s not good. Maybe move in a den or two of rattlesnakes and spray the area with some sweet sugar attractant for mosquitoes…. Definitely keep me away.

But I never knew the D got that bad. It’s kinda sad.

There are long established rules for this type of fishery. Things go to he'll when people ignore the rules.

You may not like the rules, you may disregard them because they aren't technically laws but that just makes you a jackass.