Countdown!!! ... Atmospheric River’ Begins to Pound Western U.S. With Rain and Snow

Starman77

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Lenice aerial photo 2023-01-19.jpg

This is a satellite photo of Lenice from 1/19/2023 and it looks like it was mostly ice-free on that date. It could have re-frozen since that date or that may be very clear ice that looks like open water. I can't see anything more recent due to the cloud cover. (I'm looking at photos from the Sentinel Hub EO Browser.) The best way to know for sure is for someone to hike in there and see what it looks like in person.

Starman77

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That photo really was from that Chinese spy balloon.....come on Rex....
I know some of you think us Asians all look alike, but I'm Japanese (just updated my avatar so you can see) and take no responsibility or blame for that spy balloon. :cool:

By the way, there were clear skies yesterday over central WA, so here's an updated satellite photo of Lenice, which shows it almost completely ice-free as of 2/8/2023:

Lenice aerial photo 2023-02-08.jpg

It is always possible that the lake has re-frozen and that there is new glaze ice which is very clear. I use the Moisture Index filter (which is normally used to measure moisture in crops) to help determine if there is glaze ice on the lake or not:

Lenice aerial photo with Moisture Index filter 2023-02-08.jpg

Note that some of the other nearby small ponds are dark blue, which indicates ice on those ponds, but Lenice is almost totally free of the dark blue color. Of course, the Seeger Effect may arise suddenly to freeze up the lake prior to March 1st, but we'll see...

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Cabin fever - and please excuse the poor quality picture but not only were there two eagles on the ice chowin' down on some feathered creatures (you can see more feathers on the right edge of this picture), there were two guys out drilling holes through the ice. Potholes Reservoir, getting close to March, lots of ice.

IMG_2063.jpg

Across the lake you're looking at "Geezer Beach" or perhaps in gentler terms "Medicare Beach". No old geezers out there today, too smart.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Tuesday night it's heading towards 22F, Hmmmm, what does water do at that temperature? Sure as heck doesn't melt. I'm going scouting in a few minutes, hope to find open water - somewhere.
Try your bath tub.

RCF

Life of the Party
The storm that rolled through here, South Seattle, Monday night was a doozie. Bright, huge flashes of lightning, very, very loud thunderclaps, some wind and over an inch of snow with temps plunging below freezing. Heading towards MT. Heads up! It is coming your way quickly.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
The storm that rolled through here, South Seattle, Monday night was a doozie. Bright, huge flashes of lightning, very, very loud thunderclaps, some wind and over an inch of snow with temps plunging below freezing. Heading towards MT. Heads up! It is coming your way quickly.
Got about 4" yesterday and in the evening. It's always below freezing here until sometime in April or May. I just stay inside until it warms up some. My old bones get cold pretty easy.