Condiments, Am I The Only One...

Zak

Legend
Okay guys, Silly Season is over. It is March 1st, time to put the Shack Nasties behind us and get on to more to more serious endeavors. It was fun to hear about so many glorified gut bombs but by the end it had me wishing for a thread on Alka Seltzer or Pepto Bismol.

And no, there is no up or down on PB&J! There is no order of precedence on said ingredients, they can be used interchangeably with little regard for protocol. Enjoy guilt free!
But do you toast the bread for your PB&J?

I'm partial to PB, banana, and honey sandwiches. Toasted, so the PB goes a little runny.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Nope, Washington born and raised. Does that really matter?
If a sandwich tastes good, I’m going to stuff it in my pie hole anyway regardless of how it is constructed or what it is called. 😂
SF
Ok. So, those from the Philly ( thankfully my family is/was from the center of the state) area are extremely picky about what goes into a hoagy, a sub, or a cheese steak. Never ever call a hoagy a sub, cuz, thems fightin words. Literally there have been mass fist fights over the topic.
Don't ask me to try to explain it, I can't. But the emotions surrounding the topic is like Bears, Seahawks, or Bengals fans who start screaming SuperBowlll !!!!! after the 1st win of the season.
I like a good sub. But a true hoagy is almost orgasmic.

Nearest I've come to out here, is Meconi's in the Oly area.

And yeah, a good sandwich, is a good sandwich worth eating.

Last edited:

RCF

Life of the Party
I traveled a lot for work. Philadelphia is one of my favorite places to visit. South Philly cheese steaks are unequaled anywhere. The rivalry between a couple a places down there ensures they will remain the best too...

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I want to talk about relish. I have no use whatsoever for sweet relish. Not on a hot dog, not in tuna or chicken salad, and not in deviled eggs. Those all get dill relish. You can keep that sweet stuff. But when I go to the store, they have 2 full rows of sweet relish, and one brand and size of dill relish. So by that assessment, it would seem I'm out of step with the relish preferences of the general populace. Do most people really prefer sweet relish over dill?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I keep a jar of sweet relish in the frig, but only use it on hotdogs. I also alway have a jar of dill slicer pickles in the frig.
SF

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I want to talk about relish. I have no use whatsoever for sweet relish. Not on a hot dog, not in tuna or chicken salad, and not in deviled eggs. Those all get dill relish. You can keep that sweet stuff. But when I go to the store, they have 2 full rows of sweet relish, and one brand and size of dill relish. So by that assessment, it would seem I'm out of step with the relish preferences of the general populace. Do most people really prefer sweet relish over dill?
Sweet relish on a Chicago dog only! Everything else dill relish.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Sweet relish on a Chicago dog only! Everything else dill relish.
I think this is the exception that proves the rule. Acceptable due to 1) tradition for that neon colored stuff, however misguided it may be and 2) counterbalanced by a full dill pickle wedge and celery salt.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Okay, I'll confess to occasionally using the mustard relish blend along with onions on a hot dog or german sausage.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm OK with sweet relish if it's the only choice, but I prefer dill. A while back I experimented mixing up albacore tuna, one with chopped sweet pickles and one with chopped dill pickles. Haven't had sweet pickles or relish in the house since.