College Football 2023

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have watched football since it was first televised and I'll be damned if I can understand the prevent defense. How the hell-and why-can you play great defense for 57 minutes and at the end give up a first down on every play? Every guy that ever coached must know about it yet they can't resist the twisted logic of it at the end.

Since I'm from Michigan I desperately wanted Alabama to lose and since I'm a Washington resident I really wanted them to beat Texas. So I'm going to be happy no matter who wins. But had the match up been Texas and Alabama I wouldn't even have watched. It looks like the best match up in years.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
All right, on to UW vs. Longhorns. Honestly, I'm a bit torn on this one. One one had, I spent all of my pre-teen years (plus a couple of teen years) in TX, so I'll generally root for some of those teams (unless it's the Cowboys....don't ask), so I I'd be ok with them Longhorns winning, buuuuut, considering my teens+ took place in WA, I wouldn't be disappointed with WA winning, hopefully we just get a nice, close game like the last one......and not like that FSU one.... 🤮
This is my life!
Grew up just south of Austin, went to longhorn games as a kid. But also want to root regional. Teen on in washingotn also. Was torn.

Also a cowboys fan by birth. But have a hard time rooting for them.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yeah Georgia basically got to play FSU’s scout team.

I think with the 12 team playoff system you’re gonna see some bowl games start dropping off which is a good thing…. Over saturated anyways. I don’t know how much the sugar bowl weekend cost the average fan but the news said the cheapest tickets to UW-Mich start at $1160.00 -1320.00 pending on the source. Non stop flights are over $1000.00…. So I’m thinking regardless however economically one can make it you’re gonna still be dropping over 4K to attend this game with room, meals, and all. So next year if a high seed runs the gauntlet that would be 4 additional bowl games for so said team.
2 weeks of round of 8’s or quarterfinals (1-4 have byes) 1 round of 4 and then championship. That’s a lot of dough for a college kid to go watch his/her team. 😜

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
...43 bowl games, mostly meaningless and most one-sided with the team's stars watching on the sidelines in civilian clothes. When I graduated from high school in 1955, seven bowl games were being played and even at that only about 3 of them really meant anything.
I agree the number of post season games is ridiculous! But where there's money to be made...
Two fantastic semi final games. And with how FSU played, I have to imagine a lot of folks on the committee saying "we told you so" right now.
I agree the 2023 semifinal games were close and great to watch, but maybe not so fast on the "we told you so..."?

According to this article:
"It’s worth noting that no NFL draft-eligible player in the Bulldogs team opted out of the bowl game" but twelve players entered the transfer portal and were not available for the bowl game.
"Florida State Seminoles were down seven of the eleven starters from FSU’s ACC Championship-winning lineup" with a total of eight NFL opt-outs, and four in the portal.

For reference here is an article showing the previous top 13 highest scores by a single team, and a list of the top score margins in college football bowl game history.
I wonder how large the number of blowouts is compared to the number of bowls games played under the historical selection processes? And, if the current process is any better?

Regardless, I believe that unless-until both the semi-related NIL and conference realignment chaos stabilizes it's still going to be very tough for any "committee" to truly pick the best CFP teams based on how talented they believe teams are.
But I wonder how much of the FSU vs Georgia bowl performance this year was due to the semifinals decision and NIL?

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I agree the number of post season games is ridiculous! But where there's money to be made...

I agree the 2023 semifinal games were close and great to watch, but maybe not so fast on the "we told you so..."?

According to this article:
"It’s worth noting that no NFL draft-eligible player in the Bulldogs team opted out of the bowl game" but twelve players entered the transfer portal and were not available for the bowl game.
"Florida State Seminoles were down seven of the eleven starters from FSU’s ACC Championship-winning lineup" with a total of eight NFL opt-outs, and four in the portal.

For reference here is an article showing the previous top 13 highest scores by a single team, and a list of the top score margins in college football bowl game history.
I wonder how large the number of blowouts is compared to the number of bowls games played under the historical selection processes? And, if the current process is any better?

Regardless, I believe that unless-until both the semi-related NIL and conference realignment chaos stabilizes it's still going to be very tough for any "committee" to truly pick the best CFP teams based on how talented they believe teams are.
But I wonder how much of the FSU vs Georgia bowl performance this year was due to the semifinals decision and NIL?

"But I wonder how much of the FSU vs Georgia bowl performance this year was due to the semifinals decision and NIL?"

I think very much...

RCF

Life of the Party
I am similar to @iveofione with regards to which team to cheer for ---> Michigan or Washington. I was born in Ann Arbor. Both my parents graduated from Michigan. But I spent most of my life in Washington. My youngest daughter recently graduated from UW. So now I look at the coaches. Harbaugh is not likeable IMHO. Plus he and/or his staff and the shenanigans/illegalities they pulled in recent years is undesirable. Deboer created a culture of trust and winning and the players came back to earn the respect they deserve and show that they can/will win the National Championship. The PAC12 debacle, demise, dismissal, and breakup makes it an easy choice.

Go Huskies ---> the last PAC12 team in existence to win the National Championship!!!

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If people don't watch, is there? I wouldn't want to sponsor or advertise on the nobodys watching bowl. I think this year might be the tipping point and we see bowl consolidation in the first year of the 12 team playoff.

Last edited:

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
I very much like watching Coach Hairball become righteously indignant on the sidelines when things don't go his way. Here is hoping I get to see that again on a number of occasions next week. That having been said footballs are shaped so that you never know for sure exactly which way they will bounce. Let's hope the Dawgs can once again weather any ugly bounces that come their way. Pretty easy to root for a team coached by Kalen DeBoer.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I finally make it to bed last night about 1:00.
Might need some new carpet after all the pacing around this past season with all the crazy games the Dawgs played.

It would have been cool to see the PAC 12 Conference go out with the CFP championship game against Michigan being played in the Rose Bowl.
SF

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
When the huskies grabbed the on side kick I thought it was all over and went outside to finish some necessary chores. When I came back in, Texas was on the 12 trying to score again and I thought what the hell happened. I emailed my husky fan buddy and he, big fan that he is, confessed that he fell asleep at the half and missed the rest of the game. And he doesn't even drink. But congrats to the dawgs. It's fitting that the natty will be between the only two undefeated teams, now that the Ducks and a committee took care of the other two. My daughter in law went to Michigan. so...........Go Blue ! Also congrats to Bo Nix who had the class to be a team player and not opt out of this game.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
If they choose to play, more power to them. But I have zero issues with players sitting out of meaningless bowl games in favor of protecting their health/careers, if that's what they want to do. I sure as heck would if I were them. If you were a possible first or second round NFL draft pick, are you really going to risk tumbling down the draft board because of an injury in the "Poulan Weed Eater" bowl or the "68 Ventures" bowl? And that goes double for the transfer portal guys from small schools who often end up playing in those lame bowls. If you were playing for Utah State and had a chance to transfer to a SEC team with more NIL money, championship hopes, and media exposure, would you risk that for the "Famous Idaho Potato" bowl?

Either pay players and sign contracts that include the bowl games, make the games mean something (which the 12 team playoff may help do), or just deal with it as being part of big time college football.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
That rule that stops the clock with a timeout due to injury is ridiculous IMO. I’ve watched a lot of football and I don’t think that is the way it works in the NFL. This rule incentivizes the defense sans timeouts to target the knees of the opposing team and stop the clock. Seems to lack sportsmanship. I get it when the defense fakes injuries but why punish the Huskies for trying to run out the clock and getting an injury on that play? I’m pretty sure the NFl restarts the game clock and the play clock as soon as the injured player is off the field.