coho

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Gonna be trying an S river this weekend , I plan to start off with gear but switch over to fly if I am lucky enough to catch a fish. I need to learn to effectively read water before I start swinging flies around. I have no idea what to throw as every fly shop employee I ask says something different. Here is my freshwater salmon fly collection, what lines should I be thinking? A larger, jiggier fly to match what a twitching jig would do? Or a sparser baitfishy pattern reminiscent of a dick nite or small vibrax? An old thread on the old forum mentioned slaying them with reverse spiders and cutthroat patterns too

Attachments

• IMG_1650.jpeg
    IMG_1650.jpeg
    505.9 KB · Views: 53

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
First day of wild retention on the Skagit. WW catches a hatchery fish right out of the gate.

Apparently a lot of folks missed the part in the announcement that the closure from hiway 9 to The Baker was extended until noon today.
A half dozen boats and a handful of bankies working the run above the bridge from the crack of dawn onward.

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Gonna be trying an S river this weekend , I plan to start off with gear but switch over to fly if I am lucky enough to catch a fish. I need to learn to effectively read water before I start swinging flies around. I have no idea what to throw as every fly shop employee I ask says something different. Here is my freshwater salmon fly collection, what lines should I be thinking? A larger, jiggier fly to match what a twitching jig would do? Or a sparser baitfishy pattern reminiscent of a dick nite or small vibrax? An old thread on the old forum mentioned slaying them with reverse spiders and cutthroat patterns too
Top left would be my choice out of that box. Small, narrow, and flashy is pretty much the name of the game on any puget sound trib this time of year.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Ya its an (early 90s?) lamiglass my grandpa gave me. Sentimental value with lots of good memories. Got a few old fenniwick glass rods I typically use for salmon as well.
I love that old stick, too, but I was asking about your bleedin’ stick. Seems you may have found a productive hole with a convenient stick.