Coffee talk

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Thanks, I think it was just on the higher end is all. Does Dry Process have more for some reason than wet processed coffee?

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Thanks, I think it was just on the higher end is all. Does Dry Process have more for some reason than wet processed coffee?
I don't know about the difference between dry process and wet process (and I had to look up quaker beans) but I do like the patina on my roasting pan:
IMG_2982 (1).jpg

(Ethiopian beans)

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I don't know about the difference between dry process and wet process (and I had to look up quaker beans) but I do like the patina on my roasting pan:
View attachment 83720

(Ethiopian beans)
Nice patina! My SS bowl for whatever reason has not developed that patina. My stirring stick, however, is wearing down to a point from using it the same way all the time.

My bowl has steep vertical sides. I tried a shallow angle bowl like yours and had trouble with beans flying out more than the other bowl. Maybe I’m a spazzy stirrer.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Nice patina! My SS bowl for whatever reason has not developed that patina. My stirring stick, however, is wearing down to a point from using it the same way all the time.

My bowl has steep vertical sides. I tried a shallow angle bowl like yours and had trouble with beans flying out more than the other bowl. Maybe I’m a spazzy stirrer.
My first roast was in December, 2017 and I roast (usually) once a week, lots of beans have gotten hot in that bowl. My bamboo spoon is well blackened, so are the 1X mahogany boards that the bowl sits on inside a cardboard box.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
My first roast was in December, 2017 and I roast (usually) once a week, lots of beans have gotten hot in that bowl. My bamboo spoon is well blackened, so are the 1X mahogany boards that the bowl sits on inside a cardboard box.
I don't remember to the month when I started, but I wasn't too far after you I don't think. I could probably dig through threads on WFF.com and figure it out if I wanted to, because it was discussion on there that got me into it. Pretty sure you were involved. Anyway, my bowl comes inside and I wash it when I'm done; have you ever washed your bowl, or is it like @Stonedfish's notoriously grungy fish wagon? :p

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I don't remember to the month when I started, but I wasn't too far after you I don't think. I could probably dig through threads on WFF.com and figure it out if I wanted to, because it was discussion on there that got me into it. Pretty sure you were involved. Anyway, my bowl comes inside and I wash it when I'm done; have you ever washed your bowl, or is it like @Stonedfish's notoriously grungy fish wagon? :p
When I first started roasting beans I kept a diary detailing the bean type, outside temperature, volume of beans, time to first crack and a few other useless details: this is how I know when I started, I looked in that Rite in the Rain diary.

Wash the bowl? Blasphemy! I've roasted a couple hundred pounds of beans in that bowl to get that lovely patina. I did wash my truck a few weeks ago then drove many miles on gravel then dirt roads. Pretty dirty now, but that's dirt, not patina and it's patina* for Brian's mold coloured SUV.

*Patina - such a cool word and the BS it can imply.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
When I first started roasting beans I kept a diary detailing the bean type, outside temperature, volume of beans, time to first crack and a few other useless details: this is how I know when I started, I looked in that Rite in the Rain diary.

Wash the bowl? Blasphemy! I've roasted a couple hundred pounds of beans in that bowl to get that lovely patina. I did wash my truck a few weeks ago then drove many miles on gravel then dirt roads. Pretty dirty now, but that's dirt, not patina and it's patina* for Brian's mold coloured SUV.

*Patina - such a cool word and the BS it can imply.

I never thought my dirty rig with the green patina would end up in the coffee thread. Well played! 😂
SF

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
First batch of Kauai beans! These are robust. I went to 17 minutes roasting time to get the color and smell cues that I look for. A lot of the beans I work with would be VERY dark at 17min. The cooling beans have a sweet, toffee overtone.
IMG_8920.jpegIMG_8922.jpeg

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I roasted up some of these:

IMG_3172.jpg

Morecoffee says "These beans are known to have notes of peach, hibiscus, honey, and caramel." I don't know jack about peach, hibiscus, honey and caramel but I sure do love the coffee after roasting it to this:

IMG_3171.jpg

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
That looks great @Buzzy ! I have 8lbs of various central and South American green beans arriving this week from Mayorga coffee. Their Honduras green beans that Costco had for a bit were top notch.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
That looks great @Buzzy ! I have 8lbs of various central and South American green beans arriving this week from Mayorga coffee. Their Honduras green beans that Costco had for a bit were top notch.
I've never been able to get on that Costco green bean wagon. Morecoffee's prices have almost doubled in the past two years; I need to look at alternatives (And Folgers isn't one of those options).

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Morecoffee says "These beans are known to have notes of peach, hibiscus, honey, and caramel." I don't know jack about peach, hibiscus, honey and caramel but I sure do love the coffee after roasting it...
I have a feeling you know at least a bit about those flavors. I kept finding "rue herb" in Sweet Maria's tasting notes, and had to look it up. With a little internet digging I found a few references to it being used to flavor coffee in Ethiopia, which then made sense. Supposedly gives the coffee a citrusy flavor. I'm guessing the buyer had recently been in Ethiopia and had the flavor fresh on the tongue/brain.
I've never been able to get on that Costco green bean wagon. Morecoffee's prices have almost doubled in the past two years; I need to look at alternatives (And Folgers isn't one of those options).
I like to buy varietals usually by a pound or two at a time, and keep going back to Sweet Maria's online. Their green bean prices have gone up a little bit but seem to average around 8 to 9 bucks a pound, with some coffees that score really high being a bit more than that. It seems like they offer value and variety, and maybe fewer of the really super high end green coffees versus other outlets.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I have a feeling you know at least a bit about those flavors. I kept finding "rue herb" in Sweet Maria's tasting notes, and had to look it up. With a little internet digging I found a few references to it being used to flavor coffee in Ethiopia, which then made sense. Supposedly gives the coffee a citrusy flavor. I'm guessing the buyer had recently been in Ethiopia and had the flavor fresh on the tongue/brain.

I like to buy varietals usually by a pound or two at a time, and keep going back to Sweet Maria's online. Their green bean prices have gone up a little bit but seem to average around 8 to 9 bucks a pound, with some coffees that score really high being a bit more than that. It seems like they offer value and variety, and maybe fewer of the really super high end green coffees versus other outlets.
I know Rod orders from Sweet Maria's and I just was looking through their inventory. I'm going to give them a try on my next order. And nope, I don't taste hibiscus in my coffee! ;-) Or peaches, just lovely coffee (can coffee be lovely?).

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
First batch of Kauai beans! These are robust. I went to 17 minutes roasting time to get the color and smell cues that I look for. A lot of the beans I work with would be VERY dark at 17min. The cooling beans have a sweet, toffee overtone.
View attachment 84838View attachment 84839
I’m a couple pounds into the bag of Kauai beans. The sweet spot seems to be around 20 minutes in my air popper. Then brew it strong. It’s good but I’m hoping to find a deal around the holidays for Kona primo green beans. The Kona beans have more going on.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
My 2nd Harbor Freight heat gun starting crapping out on me last night. It seems like something with the fan, and it resulted in an uneven roast. The first one of those heat guns was a champ and lasted many hours worth of roasting, so years of service. This one, not so much.
Anyway I decided to splurge a bit and ordered a Fresh Roast SR800 “fluid bed” air roaster which can roast up to 8 oz at a time. Stoked to try it, and give my stirring arm a rest. I can save more energy for my drinking arm.

Attachments

• D1A317C3-13BA-4B7D-A901-7221A1A0C6FF.png
    D1A317C3-13BA-4B7D-A901-7221A1A0C6FF.png
    421.4 KB · Views: 4

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
My 2nd Harbor Freight heat gun starting crapping out on me last night. It seems like something with the fan, and it resulted in an uneven roast. The first one of those heat guns was a champ and lasted many hours worth of roasting, so years of service. This one, not so much.
Anyway I decided to splurge a bit and ordered a Fresh Roast SR800 “fluid bed” air roaster which can roast up to 8 oz at a time. Stoked to try it, and give my stirring arm a rest. I can save more energy for my drinking arm.
I’ll be interested to hear what you think. I’m on my second (free with coffee purchase) air popper. The first lasted around 4 years roasting 2-3x weekly.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I’ll be interested to hear what you think. I’m on my second (free with coffee purchase) air popper. The first lasted around 4 years roasting 2-3x weekly.
Yeah I still have a Nostalgia popper in my quiver, but I don’t want to roast that often, with the tiny batches. Did you see the new “Popper is a Roaster” unit that Sweet Maria’s is carrying?