Cliff Mass says the rain is coming next weekend...

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Just in case you thought we'd miss Juneuary this year, Cliff Mass says a giant low pressure system is moving in next weekend.

While I'm enjoying the sunny days, if a drenching would keep the wildfires at bay, I'm all for it.

ecmwf-deterministic-west-z500_anom-7154400.png

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
We have it in the forecast down here south of the border, too. But it's not much. Still, I'll take what we can get.

1686586074333.png

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
We have it in the forecast down here south of the border, too. But it's not much. Still, I'll take what we can get.
At the moment, the regular forecasts aren't predicting the "big event" that Cliff Mass is posting about. Just "rain likely" etc.

So we'll have to see.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
there's just no satisfying us. Around March or April, I'm ready for sun. Around August I'm ready for the rain again.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Just in case you thought we'd miss Juneuary this year, Cliff Mass says a giant low pressure system is moving in next weekend.

While I'm enjoying the sunny days, if a drenching would keep the wildfires at bay, I'm all for it.

20230612_165838.jpg
ecmwf-deterministic-west-z500_anom-7154400.png

Hmmm, that will dampen turnout (pun intended) for the Olympia Airshow
https://olympicairshow.com/
even though NOAA is showing mostly cloudy with low single digit precip chance all weekend... clouds and airshows are not a good mix.

But we pray for rain every year around our nation's birthday. We've seen too many bottle rockets shot from across the street or three (acre) lots away dangling from their parachutes in our backyard trees.
20230612_165838.jpg

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I read Cliff's blog and appreciate his info and explanations, but boy, I think the guy needs to move to Arizona or some other hot dry climate. Any precipitation after April in the PNW is doom and gloom and temps above 90 get him REALLY excited.

Sure hope this pans out and we get the rain.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The rain hit the tundra yesterday! I have never seen rain so heavy, thunder so loud or lightning that lit up the inside of the house in daylight. I would estimate that we got at least 2 inches of rain in about 10 minutes, the front yard was flooded, muddy water was running down the driveway and even the planter boxes had standing water in them. I have a 10 x 30 lean-to on the side of the barn that is closed on the long sides and open on the ends. The storm blew rain all the way through soaking everything for the entire length. I had never seen anything close to that in 22 years here.

Rains have been becoming more violent in recent years but this was an order of magnitude escalation. By evening much of the water had drained away, the air was cool and the forest smelled sweet and fresh. Eight of the next fifteen days have some form of rain in the forecast and much cooler weather, some with days in the high 50's or low 60's.

Time to check a high elevation lake on Thursday to see whether it winter killed or not. A long tough drive that might be for nothing but the only way to find out how obscure lakes are fishing.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I read Cliff's blog and appreciate his info and explanations, but boy, I think the guy needs to move to Arizona or some other hot dry climate. Any precipitation after April in the PNW is doom and gloom and temps above 90 get him REALLY excited.

Sure hope this pans out and we get the rain.
There's a lot I find insufferable about Cliff. But, he's one of the only knowledgeable people I'm aware of who are blogging high level PNW weather info. And more often than not, it's accurate.

If anyone has others to read, please let me know.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
There's a lot I find insufferable about Cliff. But, he's one of the only knowledgeable people I'm aware of who are blogging high level PNW weather info. And more often than not, it's accurate.

Josh, I like your use of the word insufferable as a descriptor. I only know of one insufferable weatherman but sports announcing seems to be rife with a high incidence of insufferable twits. There are no qualifications for their job other than to be an ex jock and they are allowed to mangle mouth their way through broadcast, often for years. At least a bad weatherman can present some valuable information, a boring Jock gots nothin'.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Why do you think he is insufferable? I’ve enjoyed his blog for a number of years since he made the keynote talk to the Washington Hydrology Symposium that I actively participated in while I was working.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Why do you think he is insufferable? I’ve enjoyed his blog for a number of years since he made the keynote talk to the Washington Hydrology Symposium that I actively participated in while I was working.
When he gets on the culture war stuff, I tune out. I don't want to hear why he feels seattle is dying or what he thinks about COVID. I don't need the weatherman telling me his hot political takes, just his hot-weather takes. I also dislike his constant "ITS NOT GLOBAL WARMING, PEOPLE" stuff. We get it, you are a climate change skeptic. You don't have to bring it up and pick fights about it all the time.

It's sort of like PNWFF, I'm here for fishing/cooking/traveling/life "human" stuff. Not to hear what any of us thinks about the crap that AM radio and 24hour news networks are spewing. I can see that on the rest of the internet if I feel the need.

But I very much appreciate his deep dives into PNW weather. I, like you, have read his blog for years and will continue to do so. I just wish he'd post the rest of the junk elsewhere. Or at least make it easier to avoid.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Cliff Mass is the modern day PNW Socrates. He likes to put a spotlight on climate headlines and prognostications put out by the media in order to judge them in the context of available data. He certainly is comfortable with civil public debate, which is commendable. His books are great reading. It is a tough new era for the old school Socratic method raised academics. I can only imagine the laughter from Socrates if a fellow Athenian told him "The evidence is irrefutable, the time for debate is over."

PS - I got steady drizzle at my place most of today.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I bet Socrates's neighbors got tired of hearing him rant sometimes, too.
Yeah, apparently a majority of a jury of 501 Athenians were bothered enough by him to vote for his execution.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, apparently a majority of a jury of 501 Athenians were bothered enough by him to vote for his execution.
Woah now! Let's not go too far (even democratically). LOL

Look, I don't wish the guy any harm. Hell, he may even be spot-on with his non-weather rants and climate change fights (and it's his choice to do what he wants on his website). I just would just rather avoid that stuff when I'm hunting for PNW weather info. When I want political/cultural arguments, I will go look for them.

(NARRATOR: "He never ever went to look for them because he was tired of all the crap from both sides and just wanted to fish.")