Chronies look too dark. Your preferred coating?

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Battling thru some shack nasties and trying to remember what chromonomonids I'll want to have for this summer. Decided to add some brown patterns to the quiver but they look too dark, almost black, after coating with UV or super glue. Kinda the same problem when trying green also.

I'm using brown thread for the body...should I use a lighter shade thread or what do you recommend for a coating to keep the colors true?

Last edited:

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
A different body material might help. Veevus holo tinsel color #H16 or small diamond braid (frostbite) in dark brown are what I like. They maintain their color with UV coating and are generally durable.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
Leave them uncoated if you don’t want the color to change. If you’re like me you have more than enough chronies to not have to worry about them lasting forever. But the color will change some when they get wet anyway.

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
Battling thru some shack nasties and trying to remember what chromonomonids I'll want to have for this summer. Decided to add some brown patterns to the quiver but they look too dark, almost black, after coating with UV or super glue. Kinda the same problem when trying green also.

I'm using brown thread for the body...should I use a lighter shade thread or what do you recommend for a coating to keep the colors true?
I use root beer buzzer wrap, you can tie over white or darker body threads to get different shades or wrap more strands of wrap to darken. Counter wrap with wire and UV away

Dave

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846

Take a strand of “flattened” Micro Krystal Flash, rib the body, then coat.

Do this variant as well…add a secondary fine wire rib, along with the flash, for even more contrast.
7BFB7A0D-1F34-460C-B280-A694EAE232FC.jpeg
The variant pictured is another option. It is tobacco brown thread body, wrapped with Micro Rootbeer KF (touching turns), ribbed with stripped peacock herl., then Sally Hansen clear nail polish.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Take a strand of “flattened” Micro Krystal Flash, rib the body, then coat.

Do this variant as well…add a secondary fine wire rib, along with the flash, for even more contrast.
View attachment 100650
The variant pictured is another option. It is tobacco brown thread body, wrapped with Micro Rootbeer KF (touching turns), ribbed with stripped peacock herl., then Sally Hansen clear nail polish.
Full recipe? Thorax? Wing buds? Superb!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I edited my previous post to read bodkin instead of bobbin.
Anyway, something I do with some steelhead flies is to wrap the floss over an under layer of silver tinsel. This seems to keep the floss from darkening so much in the water. Anything that penetrates some thread is going to darken it. Someone on the forum here mentioned using white thread and then coloring it with acrylic markers.