Cell Phone Pics

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Yes they are. Even I am learning. More to it than pacman. We spend a lot of time building, and a bit of time ruining it all at the end.
Abby doesn't ruin. She saves. At a casual last count , I think she had 7-8 worlds set up. Keep having to remind her to go back to each one and feed the animals

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Abby doesn't ruin. She saves. At a casual last count , I think she had 7-8 worlds set up. Keep having to remind her to go back to each one and feed the animals
My granddaughter likes to spawn cats. Too many cats and the game gets glitchy and crashes. I'm good with a dog. When fishing you get to watch an indicator go down!

VMP

Steelhead
Little lake I stopped at today was full of these guys - I could probably see 20 within 10 ft of the launch:

View attachment 112866
View attachment 112867

First glance , I was wondering if they are western hellbenders. Still, glad to see they haven't been erased from the earth yet

At least from the pictures they look more like rough-skinned newts (Taricha granulosa), which would make sense given it's distribution throughout the Pacific Northwest. We have seen them in various lakes in the region. Rough-skinned newts have neurotoxins on their skin similar to the toxins of pufferfish and as far as the internet says there is a recorded human death in Oregon due to its consumption.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
At least from the pictures they look more like rough-skinned newts (Taricha granulosa), which would make sense given it's distribution throughout the Pacific Northwest. We have seen them in various lakes in the region. Rough-skinned newts have neurotoxins on their skin similar to the toxins of pufferfish and as far as the internet says there is a recorded human death in Oregon due to its consumption.

Rough skinned newt was my assumption, though most of these were not quite as orange as usual. Maybe they put spawning colors on at some point?
I did not do a lick test ;)

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Apologies in advance for the crummy pics -

IMG_3852.jpg

I went up to the lake this morning to try and fool a few lahontan cutthroat (I fooled one); there's a nesting platform on a pole near the pump station inlet. I think there are chicks in the nest now, but certainly two adults making trips to and from the nest. The bird above is a better catcherman than I am.

IMG_3853.jpg

Is there or isn't there a trout in the bird's talons?

IMG_3854 (1).jpg

There is!

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
While fishing the lake for lahontan cutthroat, I noticed something floating between where I'd waded out into the lake and a guide's anchored pontoon boat. I thought "bobber". Not quite. I reeled up so I wasn't crowding the guide boat and waded over to get the bobber:
IMG_3858.jpg
The bobber turned out to be a gurgler-like fly being held in place by the streamer. The flies are held together with what looks like .020 leader so I assume the leader connection to the streamer was something similar in diameter. I bet the angler who cast this out and lost it found a "curlycue" at the end of his/her leader as there wasn't any leader on the fly: knot failure (it happens, right?).

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
WW Balloon Stampede Night Glo '24. Had to resize as the originals are huge. Gonna be fun to edit.
20240510_bsw.jpg
20240510_bse.jpg
20240510_bne.jpg
20240510_s.jpg
20240510_t.jpg

Last edited: