Carp

Hem

Life of the Party
This is a great thread.
Thanks Buzzy for detailing, so much familiar info/ strategy.
Thought I would suggest a simple fly which has caught me alot of carp, in particular in off color water.
Sometime try a red San Juan worm with a larger brass bead tied in mid hook.
The fly doesn't startle carp as much when it hits the water. The brass bead helps sink the fly but also IMO helps catch the eye of carp in murky conditions. Brass is also a little less bright than gold beads which sometime alarms carp if they spot the fly sinking.
Simple pattern.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
This is a great thread.
Thanks Buzzy for detailing, so much familiar info/ strategy.
Thought I would suggest a simple fly which has caught me alot of carp, in particular in off color water.
Sometime try a red San Juan worm with a larger brass bead tied in mid hook.
The fly doesn't startle carp as much when it hits the water. The brass bead helps sink the fly but also IMO helps catch the eye of carp in murky conditions. Brass is also a little less bright than gold beads which sometime alarms carp if they spot the fly sinking.
Simple pattern.
Thanks for the suggestion! I have a few SWW's* in my carp box but I'm going to add a couple per your suggestion!

* (several of us used to have secret names for some of our ties so when fishing busy Rocky Ford we could share what was working without letting everyone know, yes, not really a nice thing. San Juan Worm became SWW - one of us couldn's spell very well)

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
The thing I learned yesterday is that it’s really hard to sight fish in overcast. And that I need to learn to read the tide tables and river level predictions. The levels were forecast two feet lower than last time I was out, but it was way higher. Also need to figure out how to hang an outboard on my drifter so I can cover water.

Hem

Life of the Party
Thanks for the suggestion! I have a few SWW's* in my carp box but I'm going to add a couple per your suggestion!

* (several of us used to have secret names for some of our ties so when fishing busy Rocky Ford we could share what was working without letting everyone know, yes, not really a nice thing. San Juan Worm became SWW - one of us couldn's spell very well)
I think your explanation of when to set the hook on a carp is really good. When I was a younger man I spent a period in the Keys fishing for Bones. I learned to watch their fins and tails for the take. I always associated a certain fluttering which indicated the fish was excited to eat something. Carp seem to exhibit similar behavior. The instinctual hook set comes from understanding if the carp has its nose on your fly and the brief moment when they eat. Frustrating getting the timing sometimes, it might simply be the fish hesitating ever so slightly.
I've caught a few token carp this early summer but mostly just watched them while SUP-ing in local rivers.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
The thing I learned yesterday is that it’s really hard to sight fish in overcast. And that I need to learn to read the tide tables and river level predictions. The levels were forecast two feet lower than last time I was out, but it was way higher. Also need to figure out how to hang an outboard on my drifter so I can cover water.
For me at least, it's all about sight casting and cloud cover is the great destroyer for me to be able to see the fish. Blind casting and catching carp? Almost never. (I wish I hadn't sold my Hewescraft).
I think your explanation of when to set the hook on a carp is really good. When I was a younger man I spent a period in the Keys fishing for Bones. I learned to watch their fins and tails for the take. I always associated a certain fluttering which indicated the fish was excited to eat something. Carp seem to exhibit similar behavior. The instinctual hook set comes from understanding if the carp has its nose on your fly and the brief moment when they eat. Frustrating getting the timing sometimes, it might simply be the fish hesitating ever so slightly.
I've caught a few token carp this early summer but mostly just watched them while SUP-ing in local rivers.
Thanks!!

dfilippetto

Just Hatched
had to add this to a carp thread! first ever carp, on a fly from @clarkman - not wild, mind you, but still an absolute blast. the flies I received in the mail inspired tying of my own, and had 2 friends catch some this big on flies I tied. thanks for the set up @clarkman - I realize this is not what these flies were intended for, but god damn they munched em! as agreed, a photo of the fish I'm catching on your flies, for all to see... Screen Shot 2023-01-22 at 10.40.58 PM.png

Replicant

Steelhead
Is this the official carp thread? Apologies if i'm highjacking. tempImageCniHOD.jpg
tempImagejCd6gr.jpg

It's been a minute. This is a post about 'firsts'.
First time out this year (it's a long sad and boring story).
First carp ever landed (after thirteen years of casual pursuit and many flies lost, tippets snapped and plain old stupidity)
First time I've had a fish that was too big for my net.
First time I've ever had a fish go to reel (this includes striper's and a gnarly cutbow).

I'm tired and parched. Took me twenty to thirty minutes to haul this thing in on my 5wt.

But i'm happy.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Shit, I forgot we gotta an original carp thread....

Here are a few from the last weekend-ish.

Evan graciously allowed me to take a pic of his, after which I blew every shot he got me into
1000008644.jpg
Although, I did hook up that day...
1000008417.jpg

2 days later, I sucked less...
1000008519.jpg
1000008490.jpg
1000008520.jpg

My buddy got in on the action too!
1000008465.jpg
1000008481.jpg

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I'm sure that every one of those was a "twenty"....

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: