SFR Canada Easing Travel Restrictions Starting April 1

Sorta fishing-related

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
I was watching the news tonight and hear that as of April 1, the Canada will be lifting the pre-arrival COVID-19 testing requirement at the border for fully vaccinated travellers.

Passengers may still be subjected to random PCR testing at the airport, and travellers will still have to use the ArriveCAN app to enter their proof of vaccination and other required information,

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I'm of two minds about this...

On the one hand I love BC and have been frustrated not to be able to get up there and visit our neighbors to the north. The Squamish-Whistler-Pemberton area is one of my favorite places in the world. I miss my Canadian friends, fishing Canadian rivers, and eating the slightly different candy they seem to get up there.

On the other hand, I'd really gotten used to our Trader Joes not being as crowded as it used to be...

Just joking of course (well, mostly). Stoked to see the border open again. The PCR testing requirement went on for WAY too long and the rapid-testing requirement they replaced it with was a pointless PITA.

Snakes

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Traveled there during some of the more extreme COVID restrictions. And definitely avoided it until after the restrictions lift. Shit was terrible…

But what really bummed me out was Canadian buddies not being able to head this way. Hoping it’s a universal change this time…

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I would like to see the "random" PCR test dropped as well, but....... thankful we're able to travel to Canada now without having to be tested within 72 hours of travel.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Just curious...is the random testing just to give them statistics to track?
Leigh - I was randomly selected two times in a row crossing at this particular border; once for a "vehicle inspection" and the second time for the PCR test - random, two times in a row? Perhaps I was just randomly unlucky and being selected was for statistical tracking. Eh!?

Mark Yoshida

Deep Line & Vertical
Forum Supporter
Are enhanced drivers license still valid? I never got a passport as I never needed one even for work (Fed Employee).

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Leigh - I was randomly selected two times in a row crossing at this particular border; once for a "vehicle inspection" and the second time for the PCR test - random, two times in a row? Perhaps I was just randomly unlucky and being selected was for statistical tracking. Eh!?
Well, you do seem fishy :cool:

Seriously, though. Random vehicle inspection serves to deter smuggling, at least theoretically. That makes no sense for Covid testing, so I'm thinking it's just to track # positives entering even with the vax requirements.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Well, you do seem fishy :cool:

Seriously, though. Random vehicle inspection serves to deter smuggling, at least theoretically. That makes no sense for Covid testing, so I'm thinking it's just to track # positives entering even with the vax requirements.
I fished with @RichS, @Wayne Kohan, @Bakerite yesterday - Rich and Wayne were way more fishy (fishier?) than I was. But I hear you!

(I should have tried a bloodworm).

RCF

Life of the Party
enhanced drivers licenses have been cancelled...☹️
Might want to check that for accuracy. Just sayin'

In WA. REAL ID requirement for some uses slid by Feds for a year. Washington DL/ID is already REAL ID compliant.

Just extended mine for 6 more years...

Edited to add: Refer to @Bruce Baker 's post below for more information...

Last edited:

Mark Yoshida

Deep Line & Vertical
Forum Supporter
Found it.

Frequently asked questions: EDL/EID​

Getting enhanced driver licenses/ID cards (EDL/EID)​

Can I use my EDL/EID to enter Canada and return to the U.S.?​

Yes. By land or by sea only. For more information about:

Can I use my EDL to board a plane?​

Yes, for domestic flights but it's not accepted for international travel.

Should have looked here before posting.

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
Might want to check that for accuracy. Just sayin'

REAL ID requirement for some uses slid by Feds for a year. Washington DL/ID is already REAL ID compliant.

Just extended mine for 6 more years...
Unless he was referring to BC. There are discontinuing the enhanced driver's license

RCF

Life of the Party