Bull Trout flies (and techniques)

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
There was a good thread getting going on the old site recently about bull trout, I thought I'd restart it over here.

rmgreen94 started it with this question:

I’m looking to swing flies for bull trout here on the West side of WA and want to tie up some flies to take with me. Does anyone have recommendations on specific patterns or colors to bring along? I haven’t seen much online other than “bull trout are aggressive and will eat anything that comes by.”

I'd also add:

What sort of techniques are you using? Swinging? Indicator? For example, someone recently was talking about jigging action on the swing for bulls...

@Stonedfish @Long_Rod_Silvers @HauntedByWaters @mcswny @RyRy82 @Dr. Magill @Smalma were some of the folks posting on the original thread.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I usually get them on the swing when fishing for steelhead. Buuuuut, on certain rivers where bulls are allowed, I might swing through a spot first focusing on steelhead and then if it's a particularly good looking spot switch up to a more bull oriented pattern (I like white or olive or brown, but seen people clean up after me with pink or purple or black) and then cast up and let it sink and then strip through. I have a hard time telling myself I'm targeting steelhead when I'm stripping a 6" dahlai lama leech (or something like that) thru a pool, or casting at submerged wood with a giant olive sculpzilla, so I stick with the swing and more steelhead specific flies when river regs say no no to targeteting bulls.

I like to swing stuff like this for steelhead when bulls are also allowed. Gets eats from both.
Screenshot_20220203-193057_Photos.jpg

They like spoons and spinners too. :p

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
I like to fish New England style streamers on a 15' sink tip fly line and a 9' 5 5/8 oz bamboo rod. Slow strip as the fly swings. Tailouts better than the head of the riffle. Some bull trout flies I fish:
  • Magog Smelt
  • Pink Ghost
  • Supervisor
  • Black ghost
  • White ghost...
BA98B46A-9EEE-46D0-A200-666E86480D93_1_105_c.jpeg
BF35773E-7E87-4753-BC7F-79E6D074E7C8_1_105_c.jpeg
5626E653-5B2D-4820-92F6-39E2B2356892_1_105_c.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 10.28.19 PM.png

MarshRat

Steelhead
Like anything bull trout-related, this will be received with mixed feelings... but last year I started pegging beads for bulls. I would pick my section of river for the day, swing a dali llama through likely runs/pools working downstream, then turn around a drift beads working upstream on my hike back to the rig. 🤷‍♂️ It worked, I would pick up a mix of trout and whitefish, as well as the bulls who weren't willing to leave the bottom of their pools for the streamer.

R

RyRy82

I have definitely found them in shallower water and closer to the bank more frequently then I imagined. Deep is not always better. I’ve found in my home river they like the tail of the tail of the pool rather than the deepest portion. If there is wood, there are bulls. Fast strip over slow swing. Downstream to add speed. Nymphs have worked on pressured fish. I’m not an expert yet and my bull fishing is limited to a highly pressured fishery. I am addicted to hunting bulls.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
When salmon are doing the salmon things I like swinging fleshy looking flies for them. As the salmon wrap up I start throwing more whitefish looking flies as I sometimes catch them with a whitey in their throat.

20220204_121305.jpg20220204_121054.jpg

20220204_120437.jpg

Attachments

• 20220204_120437.jpg
    20220204_120437.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220204-121002_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220204-121002_Photos.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 2

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I've been wondering if white has any allure to bulls around here. My buddies are super into the olive flies (and they do catch fish), but I've been curious about

I've been wondering if white has any allure to bulls around here. My buddies are super into the olive flies (and they do catch fish), but I've been curious about white.
When I'm trying to avoid bulls, my first move is getting away from white, fwiw.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Personally, I prefer stripping. 10wt, fast sinking shooting head, big flies. More recently I've done really well hooking them in woody debris. Get the fly down in there and rip it out. Even with 20lb, I'm not landing a ton of these fish, but they're fun as hell.

Like anything bull trout-related, this will be received with mixed feelings... but last year I started pegging beads for bulls. I would pick my section of river for the day, swing a dali llama through likely runs/pools working downstream, then turn around a drift beads working upstream on my hike back to the rig. 🤷‍♂️ It worked, I would pick up a mix of trout and whitefish, as well as the bulls who weren't willing to leave the bottom of their pools for the streamer.
My 2 largest bulls came on little eggstasy (or whatever the similar material was over 10 years ago) patterns....not my preferred method, but it certainly works.

99.9% of my bull trout fishing also takes place on the highly pressured OR waters.