Bull Trout flies (and techniques)

Rvrfisher360

Floatin’
Forum Supporter
How shallow is “shallow” here? And over what kind of bottom?
Not sandy bottom. I’ve found some good runs with sandy bottoms and I never catch shit. But if it’s rocky it could have bulls anywhere. I caught one today in about 4 feet of walking pace water, nice and rocky on the bottom

I also like graboid leeches tied with white barred rabbit strips/white composite loop, and red rubber legs. I’m gonna be out of town on a golf trip until the river closes or else I’d whip a couple up for you.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have definitely found them in shallower water and closer to the bank more frequently then I imagined. Deep is not always better. I’ve found in my home river they like the tail of the tail of the pool rather than the deepest portion. If there is wood, there are bulls. Fast strip over slow swing. Downstream to add speed. Nymphs have worked on pressured fish. I’m not an expert yet and my bull fishing is limited to a highly pressured fishery. I am addicted to hunting bulls.
This is 100% accurate as it's the same river I target bulls in.
I'll post more tomorrow!

Oliver1329

Life of the Party
Might as well share this again:

Have a buddy that targeted bull trout with a big pats and a squirmy worm and just crushed them on the euro rig. Kinda funny given the fact that everything points to throwing a white streamer:ROFLMAO:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Hey Clarkman, I’ve been meaning to ask you. Have you thrown your giant musky patterns for bulls?
I have, and I've hooked a few. But I actually have basically just re-tied some on smaller hooks (1-2/0 instead of 4/0) over the last several years. A buddy has gotten a few with some of my musky flies. I also have to tie them without the foam & slightly less bulk to make them easier to get under that wood. I don't like adding weight to them because it can kill the walk-the-dog/sick minnow action on them.

Pretty funny though, the last time I was there, I hooked 3 in the wood, didn't land any of them. The one that I landed that day was a little ~16" fish that slammed an 8" musky style fly....

It's a bit of a drive for me, so I don't get after bullies nearly as much as I would like. I'm going to try to change that this next year.

My bigger bull stuff is right around 8" or so, while my larger musky stuff (that I fish for our tigers) max's out at around a foot.

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm definitely no expert, but I am quite enamored with Bulls. I totally understand that they're not everyones cup of tea--in fact more than once when down at my local shop I get the "Why would you fish for those when you can fish for Steelhead?" or even "I won't waste my time with that fish." And honestly, my answer (in my head) is, why do you care 🧐? It's one less spey rod clogging up your honey hole 🤷‍♂️. I just like them. Plain and simply. They may not run, and jump but they can get big and fat, they look like dinosaurs and they eat big ass flies.

I fish pretty exclusively on the couple legal Oregon streams, so they're fairly pressured, but the key is to not fish the holes that are named after them. Regardless, like @RyRy82 and @clarkman said, fish structure and deeper isn't always better (but sometimes it is). Cut banks are also a good spot for them, I've caught some big fish outta some tight spots on the bank. One thing to note, I'm pretty sure you can not strip too fast for these fish. If they're hungry or you pissed them off, they'll chase your fly no matter how hard you're pulling.

I fish a fast 8wt single hand rod with a two different lines depending on the situation. If I don't have a lot of space to cast, an Airflo Streamer Max Short and if I do have space (and want to get deep) an Airflo Shovelhead. I throw mostly Kelly Galloup type patterns that I tie (I think in the 4-6" range, 1/0 in front and I think a 1 in the back): Dungeons, Butt Monkeys, The Boogieman, D&Ds (Tommy Lynch). My absolute favorite is the wedged, deer hair head on the D&D. It is quite literally-- drunk and disorderly. I can tie decently enough, but for some reason haven't gotten too into tying "my own" patterns. Sure I sub materials for what I have. I just don't feel creative enough, which is odd considering I went to art school 🤷‍♂️. I think it's a confidence thing and a fear of wasting time tying a shitty fly. But damn do I love those flies that @Dr. Magill and @clarkman tie!

It's really cool to see the difference in the coloring from the Oregon Bulls compared to the Washington and the Canadian Bulls. Is it because ya'lls hang in the Sound?

IMG_3084.JPGIMG_3114.JPGIMG_4159.PNGIMG_3114.JPGScreen Shot 2022-02-09 at 8.26.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-09 at 8.26.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-09 at 8.31.23 PM.png

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Those inland bulls with the dark colors sure are cool looking fish.
SF

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
The Puget Sound bulls definitely look different than the inland versions. To me the PS bull trout colors look more like Dolly Varden of coastal AK, which might be why we called them dollies for a long time. Anadromy probably has something to do with the lighter coloring of the Sound fish versus the dark olives of the inland fish, but remember not all the bull trout in the Puget Sound drainage are anadromous. And it seems like the inland bulls get toothier at a smaller size as well. 🤷‍♂️

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm definitely no expert, but I am quite enamored with Bulls. I totally understand that they're not everyones cup of tea--in fact more than once when down at my local shop I get the "Why would you fish for those when you can fish for Steelhead?" or even "I won't waste my time with that fish." And honestly, my answer (in my head) is, why do you care 🧐? It's one less spey rod clogging up your honey hole 🤷‍♂️. I just like them. Plain and simply. They may not run, and jump but they can get big and fat, they look like dinosaurs and they eat big ass flies.

I fish pretty exclusively on the couple legal Oregon streams, so they're fairly pressured, but the key is to not fish the holes that are named after them. Regardless, like @RyRy82 and @clarkman said, fish structure and deeper isn't always better (but sometimes it is). Cut banks are also a good spot for them, I've caught some big fish outta some tight spots on the bank. One thing to note, I'm pretty sure you can not strip too fast for these fish. If they're hungry or you pissed them off, they'll chase your fly no matter how hard you're pulling.

I fish a fast 8wt single hand rod with a two different lines depending on the situation. If I don't have a lot of space to cast, an Airflo Streamer Max Short and if I do have space (and want to get deep) an Airflo Shovelhead. I throw mostly Kelly Galloup type patterns that I tie (I think in the 4-6" range, 1/0 in front and I think a 1 in the back): Dungeons, Butt Monkeys, The Boogieman, D&Ds (Tommy Lynch). My absolute favorite is the wedged, deer hair head on the D&D. It is quite literally-- drunk and disorderly. I can tie decently enough, but for some reason haven't gotten too into tying "my own" patterns. Sure I sub materials for what I have. I just don't feel creative enough, which is odd considering I went to art school 🤷‍♂️. I think it's a confidence thing and a fear of wasting time tying a shitty fly. But damn do I love those flies that @Dr. Magill and @clarkman tie!

It's really cool to see the difference in the coloring from the Oregon Bulls compared to the Washington and the Canadian Bulls. Is it because ya'lls hang in the Sound?

View attachment 4348View attachment 4349View attachment 4350View attachment 4356View attachment 4351View attachment 4353View attachment 4354
Awesome post

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
I've been wondering if white has any allure to bulls around here. My buddies are super into the olive flies (and they do catch fish), but I've been curious about white.

I know of a few mid depth buckets, that with something a few inches long in white almost always brings a Bull out. I lost probably my biggest one last year. Never put eyes on it, but it was HEAVY!