Boat bags?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
For stillwaters, I've gone to a plastic bin rather then a bag so I can see everything inside.
No handle of course, but it works for me. Takes up about the same space as a bag, cheap and keeps things drier then my Simms boat bag ever did.
SF

RCF

Life of the Party
Do you have 1 bag for all of your fishing stuff? I used to do that. Then I used a large bag for storing it all and a smaller bag for what I needed that day by transferring stuff to it. That got cumbersome so now I have a lake bag, a river bag and a PS bag. Just some food for thought...

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
For stillwaters, I've gone to a plastic bin rather then a bag so I can see everything inside.
No handle of course, but it works for me. Takes up about the same space as a bag, cheap and keeps things drier then my Simms boat bag ever did.
SF
My fishing buddy has (had) a waterproof Simms bag, I had bag envy. The zipper on his bag quit zipping. I bought a roll top waterproof bag, the problem is the roll top - it works, keeps the weather out but it also rolls my stuff around inside the bag; tried to sell it on the forum, no love.

DSCF2702.JPG

Roll another one, just like the other one (Easy Rider) - everytime I rolled this bag up, it would shift my fly boxes and assorted stuff around. I quit using it.

Now, I'm with Brian in that my ten plus year old plastic tote works very well for my needs. No more bag envy. Inexpensive, waterproof unless you drop it overboard with the lid not fastened.

IMG_2079.jpg

Everything stays in place (it's full). Downside? I guess it doesn't have a handle to grab and go.

Chucker

Steelhead
I also gave up on the soft bag idea. I use a big plastic tool box. It fits nicely under a seat in the boat and has a handle for carrying it around.

Landlocked

Steelhead
I bought a Dewalt brand toolbox with a gaskets lid at Home Depot for $29 bucks. Stores all but the Bugger Beast type of streamer boxes. Has the top tray that keeps tippet and misc crap handy right at the rower feet. Saw some Wy guides using it a few years back. Won’t set you back much money and super effective.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I guess I’m convinced I need some new plastic containers. One good thing about them will be that they won’t have zippers susceptible to corrosion from fishing the Sound. (Turns out that’s an issue for pricey PFDs, too, something I hadn’t considered.)

Ardster

Smolt
Hi,

I'm another user of the Simms large boat bag. It made me feel much more professional and frankly better about myself because it made me organize. For 30 years I had used a canvas tote that I covered with a contractor bag for rainy days. It was a top loader like a giant ladies handbag and I kept her full :)

Yep, I had enough stuff in there to the extent that I could stop on a gravel bar and have a 'Gravel Bar Sale' to raise extra dough. But the Simms box broke me of my bad habit of carrying things I don't need and carrying them in a disorganized way to boot.

You can spot my old Tote Bag beside the console below.
13708_zpsdgrnvb3t.jpg

And after the change this is the only picture I have of the slick Simms kit box. I don't have any showing the contents but you guys know how they are built.
14373.JPG

This will be my 5th year using it I think and I wish I had gotten something like it sooner. I know I'm just some new member here but I highly recommend these things whether you buy Fishpond, Simms or some other similar design, they are the bomb (y)

EB590

Steelhead
Years ago I bought a waxed canvas (I think) Filson bag that was on sale. Don't have a pic handy but I still use it. It was like 60 bucks or something. I just googled and it seems like everything they have now is way fancier and way more expensive.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I rig the canoe for capsizing, so a fishpond thunderhead backpack and clear kayak bags for the stuff that shouldn’t get wet, and stowage hatches for the stuff that shouldn’t leave the boat. Everything that might sink is clipped to the boat, which won’t.

Landlocked

Steelhead
I was gifted a large Simms boat bag for Christmas. Very grateful for that gift. Also very anxious about the transfer of my “stuff” out of the DeWalt toolbox. Who’d of thunk it would create so much anxiety!

Ardster

Smolt
Years ago I bought a waxed canvas (I think) Filson bag that was on sale. Don't have a pic handy but I still use it. It was like 60 bucks or something. I just googled and it seems like everything they have now is way fancier and way more expensive.
The one I have has a leather patch on it with a Woodcock embossed on it and the word, Timber-doodle. I got it at a Rough Grouse Society banquet back in the early 1980's. Used it as a shooting bag for weekly skeet until my buddy died in 1992 and then repurposed it into my tackle bag. Orvis sold them under their brand too. They have leather bottom and carrying handles of rolled saddle leather too. Actually a pretty classy bag but being a top loader with no baffles it was a dig every time I needed something.

DKL

Steelhead
Seems like a lot of these options sound like good old fashion tackle boxes.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
This is the older model Simms boat bag I owned.
Dry Creek was a misnomer. Should have been Sieve Creek. Not sure if it was truly intended to be waterproof but even on a light rain stuff got soaked. I ended up giving it away.
A white Costco garbage bag would have keep things more dry. Hopefully they improved the design.
SF

IMG_6722.jpeg