Beer and reels

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I happened across this thread while sitting in a family owned neighborhood gastropub, swillng a couple of Hop Valley Krakens, along with some tasty BBQ wings. 10 minute walking distance, so no potential DUI issues involved....and I'm taking care of my septuagenarian cardio training!

I'm always highly amused by contemporary 'beer-bro' effete elitism.

As the great-grandson of a German beer brewing immigrant (circa 1870), a beer brewing grandfather (who supplied a significant portion of Spokane's suds during prohibition), and someone who brewed beer for over 40 years (everything from light Pilsners, ales, IPA's, to 12% ABV Russian Imperial Stouts...and even a few experiments with Lambics), I find beer snobbery every bit as intriguing and entertaining as flyfishing snobbery.

Beers are brewed with functional aspects in mind...and no one does it better (or more consistently, which is no trivial feat) than the master brewers at Coors or Budweiser. They provide refreshing and completely predictable sessions beers. Face it...you're not going to be doing much after pounding down a couple of bottles of RIS ....it's a high calorie, high ethanol meal in itself.

So...young beer critters, feel free to roll your eyes..but don't think you've developed 'pinky-fingered' refined tastes because you've imbibed a few 'craft beers'....it provides the same psychoactive buzz that powers the bums with the cardboard signs sitting under the freeway overpass!😂

Last edited:

krusty

Forum Supporter
......and at that price I'll just JB Weld a Rolling Rock bottle cap on one of my cheap-ass Lamson or Okuma flyreel drag knobs.

Last edited:

krusty

Forum Supporter
I have been drinking beer for almost 60 years. Developed a particular taste for certain styles of beer. Did the same for wines and gin. Spent lots of time developing those tastes. Now at my age I drink what I enjoy because I can...
As a child I spent a great deal of time with my grandparents...so, like all German children of their era (and was probably healthier than many contaminated well waters), I had my little glass of beer with every lunch and dinner...and developed quite a taste for it.

But...try as I might, I simply cannot stomach the taste of even the 'best' gin (which my grandfather said was favored by those filthy Brits).

I am, however, grateful I never acquired my grandfather's taste for Copenhagen chewing tobacco.

Last edited:

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
As a child I spent a great deal of time with my grandparents...so, like all German children of their era (and was probably healthier than many contaminated well waters), I had my little glass of beer with every lunch and dinner...and developed quite a taste for it.

But...try as I might, I simply cannot stomach the taste of even the 'best' gin (which my grandfather said was favored by those filthy Brits).

I am, however, grateful I never acquired my grandfather's taste for Copenhagen chewing tobacco.
Of German/English ancestry, apparently I’m screwed.
But, I never developed the taste for my Grandpa’s Copenhagen…especially, getting it in the eye while riding in the bed of the pickup. 😳

krusty

Forum Supporter
Of German/English ancestry, apparently I’m screwed.
But, I never developed the taste for my Grandpa’s Copenhagen…especially, getting it in the eye while riding in the bed of the pickup. 😳
My grandfather's driver's door was covered with Copenhagen 'effluvia'. And he treated my hornet and bee stings with Copenhagen spittle. Worked well...probably because it made you forget about the sting.

The old man would wade into a thicket of thistles with his razor sharp scythe. Didn't give a shit about hornet nests or anything he might encounter. Gentle as a lamb with animals and children...but liked to fistfight errant adults. Never worked for anybody else in his life...self-sufficient at the age of 14.....but would not have survived in today's world.

RCF

Life of the Party
Gin is one of those acquired tastes. For some it tastes somewhere between turpentine and mineral spirits. Best gin I ever had was from South Africa. Gin is like a can of spray paint. To some it is for graffiti and others beautiful art.

I was exposed to full bodied beers on a business trip to Saudi Arabia. Had to spend 5 days in Germany on the way over and 4 days in Denmark on the way back. Changed my perspective on beer, have never looked back, only looking forward trying to find the next one I will fall on love with.

Last edited:
Vern Davis is a big cigarette advocate. Vern Davis won't even fish with you unless you burn AT LEAST 3 packs in a day. Vern Davis is a leader in OUTDOOR CIGARETTE SCENE.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I had my first beer in 1954, a while back by now. I can't remember the brand but I can remember the taste of good hops. Once the baby boomers got old enough to drink their disdain for hoppie beer changed the beer landscape forever with beers becoming hop-pop, more sweet, less taste and developing all sorts of tootie-frutie overtones to accommodate the less sophisticated pallet of the new drinkers.

And then of course the lite beers came into being and further diluted the beer landscape. Calling lite beer beer is kinda like calling masturbation sex. You are only fooling yourself.

After 70 years of quaffing I have settled on heavily hopped IPA's as my beverage of choice. The IPA landscape is cluttered however with so many just nasty brews out there with some dish water being bottled with an IPA label on it just to get a piece of the action. A truly good one can bring tears of joy!

As for the hazy IPA's with floral overtones-just finish the damned brew before you bottle it, okay?

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I like beer. I like Vitamin R and I like any number of local produced ales and lagers. Their are not a ton of beers that I actively dislike. Most Beligian beers, farmhouse beer or other wild yeast types and high alchohol scotch ales come to mind. I can enjoy an IPA. I prefer a balanced beer though. I find that I enjoy more flavors than just that of hops.
Right would be Kulshan Lager season if I had the motivation to get to the river.