Beer and reels

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
This is just my palate but IPA’s taste like grapefruit. I prefer something malty. Scotch ales, Porters, and some Stouts unless they are bitter. Paragon brewing in Hayden ID puts out a barrel aged Scotch ale Cabar Feidh. It’s the highlight of periodic visit with my MIL. Their pub also puts out some tasty treats, like Scotch Eggs. Locally up in Arlington Skookum Brewery puts out some great barrel aged ales too. But to each their own…

CRequa

Steelhead
I happened across this thread while sitting in a family owned neighborhood gastropub, swillng a couple of Hop Valley Krakens, along with some tasty BBQ wings. 10 minute walking distance, so no potential DUI issues involved....and I'm taking care of my septuagenarian cardio training!

I'm always highly amused by contemporary 'beer-bro' effete elitism.

As the great-grandson of a German beer brewing immigrant (circa 1870), a beer brewing grandfather (who supplied a significant portion of Spokane's suds during prohibition), and someone who brewed beer for over 40 years (everything from light Pilsners, ales, IPA's, to 12% ABV Russian Imperial Stouts...and even a few experiments with Lambics), I find beer snobbery every bit as intriguing and entertaining as flyfishing snobbery.

Beers are brewed with functional aspects in mind...and no one does it better (or more consistently, which is no trivial feat) than the master brewers at Coors or Budweiser. They provide refreshing and completely predictable sessions beers. Face it...you're not going to be doing much after pounding down a couple of bottles of RIS ....it's a high calorie, high ethanol meal in itself.

So...young beer critters, feel free to roll your eyes..but don't think you've developed 'pinky-fingered' refined tastes because you've imbibed a few 'craft beers'....it provides the same psychoactive buzz that powers the bums with the cardboard signs sitting under the freeway overpass!😂
That was awesome

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
As one of my older friends opined while watching some early hipsters opine on the craft beers of the early 80's

" You guys know it's all made out of the same stuff, and you're only in it for the ethanol anyways"

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I wouldn't pay for a Ross limited edition. But I'd rock a Coors reel if given the chance. That's awesome in a silly way.

But $585? Not quite THAT awesome.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I like beer. I like Vitamin R and I like any number of local produced ales and lagers. Their are not a ton of beers that I actively dislike. Most Beligian beers, farmhouse beer or other wild yeast types and high alchohol scotch ales come to mind. I can enjoy an IPA. I prefer a balanced beer though. I find that I enjoy more flavors than just that of hops.
Right would be Kulshan Lager season if I had the motivation to get to the river.
Charles and I are on the same wavelength here.

I do wish R was still made around here though. Somehow takes a bit of the fun out knowing it's brewed in the same giant vats as the rest of the Pabst beers.

That said, Premium Northwest Brewing is an interesting Rainier replacement:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Charles and I are on the same wavelength here.

I do wish R was still made around here though. Somehow takes a bit of the fun out knowing it's brewed in the same giant vats as the rest of the Pabst beers.

That said, Premium Northwest Brewing is an interesting Rainier replacement:

I like the elk. Big fan of animal beer.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Old local brew brand now being brewed here again.
My pops worked 30+ years just a short distance from there.
SF

My grandfather always had those big quarts of Heidelberg around....likely my first lunch and dinner beer starting at the age of 4. Always in one of those little jam glasses. That's how German children were raised, and may possibly account for my love of beer.

He also had huge ceramic crocks of sauerkraut fermenting away in the basement....so much better than the pasteurized crap they sell in grocery stores (though Bubbie's live culture kraut runs a close second).

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I ran a blind taste test with a big group of friends, trying a bunch of the popular easy drinking canned lagers. I can’t remember all that we included but there was Vitamin R, Oly, Montucky, Bud, and others. The winner?
Hands down, it was Modelo Especial.

krusty

Forum Supporter
I ran a blind taste test with a big group of friends, trying a bunch of the popular easy drinking canned lagers. I can’t remember all that we included but there was Vitamin R, Oly, Montucky, Bud, and others. The winner?
Hands down, it was Modelo Especial.
Rolling Rock is an excellent swilling beer as well.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
My grandfather always had those big quarts of Heidelberg around....likely my first lunch and dinner beer starting at the age of 4. Always in one of those little jam glasses. That's how German children were raised, and may possibly account for my love of beer.

He also had huge ceramic crocks of sauerkraut fermenting away in the basement....so much better than the pasteurized crap they sell in grocery stores (though Bubbie's live culture kraut runs a close second).

My pops made sauerkraut every year. Same thing, in a big crock. We’d go out to Y & Y Farms in Fife to buy cabbage every year.
He had a river rock he’d set on a plate that fit perfectly inside the crock. He’d then cover it with cloth as it fermented on the workbench in the garage. I remember helping scoop the scum off that would rise to the top.
We’d eat it fresh as well as take some to a canning facility in Sumner. We had a lot of ribs, potatoes and sauerkraut as a kid due to my mom’s German / Russian heritage.
My pops also brewed beer and made his own wine.
SF

krusty

Forum Supporter
Remember this one? It's about all I have left from my parent's basement barroom...which was pretty extravagant, with a large circular padded bar. They were party animals.

Attachments

• 20240403_092137.jpg
    20240403_092137.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 10

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Rolling Rock is an excellent swilling beer as well.
That's my main fishing buddy's brew of choice. I'm fine with it. I'm fine with all of 'em. Especially if they're free. I don't remember how Rolling Rock ranked out in the taste test, but I remember that Miller High Life tastes like Kool Aid next to other beers, it's so sweet.