BC lakes fly recommendations?

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Hey all,
I'll be going up to Meadow Lake Fishing Camp first week of July.
I'd like to start tying some stuff up; suggestions from those who have been there?

I much, much prefer active fishing over bobber watching (and will gladly accept fewer fish to keep my eyes from rolling back in my head) but I'll soak chironomids if I have to

Much thanks in advance!

stevesflyfishing

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I'll be headed there 2 weeks after you so leave a couple of nice ones please!! I have always had good luck with olive and black Hale bop leeches, olive willies and Little Fort specials. Many do well with Doc Spratley's but for some reason not me! I also have done well with a fly called Knouff Lake special (I think) that the fly shop in Little Fort used to have. Please post when you return. Really wondering how Francesco is doing.....

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Dragon and damsel nymphs, callibaetis nymphs, caddis nymphs and adults. Various leeches. You can always fish chironomids off an intermediate when the hatch is on. One thing I will do for my next trip is have a 4 or 5 weight rigged with a dry. Those BC fish look up more than our local varieties.

Are you bringing a tube? I found I preferred it over the boats on the smaller lakes. The boats are fine but I have my tube rigged to my preferences.

I did buy some flies in Little Fort but mostly did fine with my usual stuff.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’d bring a bunch of Siebert Wigglers 😁
In all honesty, if you want to fish a full sink, I’d fish a Tequila Booby mostly. I’d also highly second @troutpocket for the dry line for dries, especially for the higher elevation lakes.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
I’d bring a bunch of Siebert Wigglers 😁
In all honesty, if you want to fish a full sink, I’d fish a Tequila Booby mostly. I’d also highly second @troutpocket for the dry line for dries, especially for the higher elevation lakes.
Is your Wiggler one of the foam ones that kind of mimic a Lazy Ike? I'd totally fish that 😎

Thanks - I'll restock my Booby box

Rio Grande King

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'll be headed there 2 weeks after you so leave a couple of nice ones please!! I have always had good luck with olive and black Hale bop leeches, olive willies and Little Fort specials. Many do well with Doc Spratley's but for some reason not me! I also have done well with a fly called Knouff Lake special (I think) that the fly shop in Little Fort used to have. Please post when you return. Really wondering how Francesco is doing.....
Here's a Knouff Lake version that fishes really well.
Fluorescent red or orange dyed GP tippet tail
Peacock chenille
Holographic rib- (on newest ones been securing holo with fine blue wire)
Hackle the "bluest" pheasant you can find

1680374300024.jpeg

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Another heads up: some of the trails to the lakes are quite boggy. I think they refer to them as Knee Boot trails. I got by with waterproof hiking boots and trying to avoid the really marshy stuff.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Last year was my first trip up there and I found it interesting for sure. My usual big craw stuff didn't work. Smaller buggy stuff and leeches seemed to work better. Little olive jigs like this: 20220813_182042.jpgThe gomphus on a type 7 was also a fun and productive fly to fish. As @troutpocket said I would also have a dedicated dry fly rod. I want to go back!

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Last year was my first trip up there and I found it interesting for sure. My usual big craw stuff didn't work. Smaller buggy stuff and leeches seemed to work better. Little olive jigs like this: View attachment 60187The gomphus on a type 7 was also a fun and productive fly to fish. As @troutpocket said I would also have a dedicated dry fly rod. I want to go back!
Mostly small stuff it is, then!
Did anyone try traditional baitfish streamers? Did you witness any feeding on minnows going on? Hope springs eternal 😁

I'll switch out my usual gurgler-rigged rod for a presentation-line dry fly one. My favorite 4wt has been much neglected lately, so it should be happy!
Thanks!

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Leigh - I always keep one rod rigged with a 9’ leader and some generic mayfly emerger tied on. Several of the lakes we fish in the Kamloops area often have a short duration hatch.

Last year the chironomid bobber fishing was slow but small jigs under the bobber worked well (sometimes).

1C44C88E-21BE-4989-889C-813B992867F1.jpeg

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Mostly small stuff it is, then!
Did anyone try traditional baitfish streamers? Did you witness any feeding on minnows going on? Hope springs eternal 😁

I'll switch out my usual gurgler-rigged rod for a presentation-line dry fly one. My favorite 4wt has been much neglected lately, so it should be happy!
Thanks!
I read or heard that the insect life is so rich and plentiful trout don’t focus on baitfish on most lakes. That was my experience on a lake that was full of red-sided shiners. Couldn’t get a bite on pattern that copied them. Not saying they won’t work.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
You might tie a couple Western spruce flies, in size 8-12 if you’re looking for a “baitfish” impression. Its old, but useful.

Smalma

Life of the Party
A box of soft hackles have long been a must for any BC trip. The box contains a range of colors and sizes to cover potential sizes and color of potential. The general bugginess (?) of those soft hackles are very suggestive and provide a fair representation of everything from scuds to dragon fly nymphs depending on the size and color.

I always take a fly tying kit but that box would cover my needs the first day (and sometimes the whole trip). If needed as it became apparent what the current hatches/food items were being taken I would refine my pattern choice with what may have been in my other fly boxes or tie as need.

Curt