Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
.209 BA should help…..
SF

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Yep looks like a piss poor Dipoto aquisition that should get him his 54% of wins that he is shooting for.

Divad

Whitefish
Between this trade and the Marco/Kelenic for a minor leaguer and poo pitcher = crap. Caballero deal is about an even swap in stats.

So far management this off-season sucks. Hope a lightning bolt hits Stanton or other ownership altering event.

2022 Mariners were the most profitable team in the league 🤦‍♂️ faaaaaaak

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I feel for you Mariner fans, it just seems like you are flogging a dead horse. I know the feeling because I have been there having started out as a Dodger fan in 1948. Back then the Dodgers were futile, a lovable collection of losers known nationally as "Dem Bums". Although they were not winners they were characters and entertaining as hell. They didn't win their first World Series until 1955, the year I graduated from high school. While I was in the Air Force they moved to LA and my parents did too so when I got out they were my home town team.

Although not a rabid fan like some that live and die on the fortunes of their favorite team, I have always followed them and appreciated Vin Scully's superlative descriptions of the games. They have been in 21 World Series but only won 7 and are perennial favorites to win due to the strength and depth of the organization. Their farm system is the best in baseball and develops the quality players that make it possible to make trades that keep the franchise strong.

It wasn't always that way, during the Frank McCourt years in the early 2000's the franchise struggled under his horrible management, he is still regarded as the worst owner of all time. But he sold the team for 2 billion or so and was handsomely rewarded for his years of mismanagement. The American Way.

Now with good owners they have what all Mariner fans want-ownership that wants to win and will spend what it takes to do that. Hate 'em all you want but they have a business model that is the envy of all baseball and since they don't have a single egomaniac owner to screw things up they will probably remain strong.

Last edited:

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You must have enjoyed the early to mid 60’s then? Dodger had one of the greatest pitchers slinging every fourth day and he was tossing 25ish complete games a year.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Well, I better check in, so here I am, as of this post only 36 days, 16 hours, 45 minutes and 15 seconds until spring training opens:

Play ball!!

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Number 1 son has his rookie card somewhere in a plastic case (I think he has both Topps and Upper Deck), don't think he'll sell though, or at least not just yet.

17 days 12 hours 'til spring training:

cheers
Thanks for the countdown, it is really encouraging to know that it is only a couple of weeks away. I have my own countdown, it is 37 days until I leave my luxury digs here on the river and return to the Frozen Tundra to assess the damage that winter has caused to the Rocking K. When I get home spring training will be well under way, the lowland lakes open and fish will be hungrily seeking chironomids and water boatmen. The days will be longer and brighter and the horrors of winter in the rear view mirror. My MLB Extra Innings bill for 2024 arrived yesterday and at $150 for up to 90 games a week for 8 months is a real bargain, I can spend more than that on gas for one fishing trip!

It has been a wonderful winter having lunches with my fishing buddies and frequent visits with my granddaughter and very little snow so far. I like it so much that I have already reserved the apartment for next winter and will come earlier and stay later. Looking forward to winter instead of dreading it is quite a paradigm change for me.

Play ball!

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
Great news as a Royals fan:

Only 7 days and 14 hours (as of this posting)until training camp opens!!!!

Cheers and Go Royals (and GO CHIEFS!!!)

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
Those amazing young Royals are 2-1 in Grapefruit League play. Maybe not so young this year, they made some moves over the winter, signing several solid veterans, so let's hope that helps them be amazing; but the biggest move, much like the Mariners, was extending their budding young superstar, Bobby Witt junior. They announced the site of there new ballpark, should be moving to downtown KC by 2028.

Go Royals!

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
Royals versus Mariners in Grapefruit League action today - enjoy 2 of the best young players in baseball (for an inning or 2 anyway).

Go Royals

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Mariners lost the opener. What does it mean?