Any suggestions on how to carry two rigged flies for quick use?

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
For years I have been using take down cases that allow me to leave the rod in half and prestrung. I have historically taken off the bottom fly as I just keep getting them snagged or tangled in the case (and frrankly I'd just as soon as take both flies off).

But lately I have been attempting to just stick both flies into the case (or in the cork) and hope for the best. Well it doesn't work for crap. Yesterday I had such a mess I ended up cutting off both flies and leader at the tippet ring and starting over. I hate sitting on the boat wasting my time tying a tippet to the ring. The upper fly to the tippet then another tippet to the tail of the top fly and then tie on the bottom fly. Especially with my less than stellar eye sight and small flies. Its a giant PITA and take way too long.

So my question is simple: Any of the brain trust on here developed a way to prerig a two fly setup so that once you get the rod put together all you have to do is tie the tippet of the upper fly to the tippet ring? What I am thinking is tying say 3ft of tippet to the top fly, then my 18" of tippet to the bottom fly and tie on the bottom fly but need some simple way to story those so they are easy to "unroll" and just make one connection and good to go.

HELP....LOL

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
short section of pool noodle with grooves cut in all of the way around. These are just the stonefly with the dropper, but you get the idea.

zPSsJCe.jpg

Last edited:

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
For years I have been using take down cases that allow me to leave the rod in half and prestrung. I have historically taken off the bottom fly as I just keep getting them snagged or tangled in the case (and frrankly I'd just as soon as take both flies off).

But lately I have been attempting to just stick both flies into the case (or in the cork) and hope for the best. Well it doesn't work for crap. Yesterday I had such a mess I ended up cutting off both flies and leader at the tippet ring and starting over. I hate sitting on the boat wasting my time tying a tippet to the ring. The upper fly to the tippet then another tippet to the tail of the top fly and then tie on the bottom fly. Especially with my less than stellar eye sight and small flies. Its a giant PITA and take way too long.

So my question is simple: Any of the brain trust on here developed a way to prerig a two fly setup so that once you get the rod put together all you have to do is tie the tippet of the upper fly to the tippet ring? What I am thinking is tying say 3ft of tippet to the top fly, then my 18" of tippet to the bottom fly and tie on the bottom fly but need some simple way to story those so they are easy to "unroll" and just make one connection and good to go.

HELP....LOL
Found this shorty at Bob’s Sporting Goods in Longview. Even has a carabiner. Same basic concept as the previous post.

86D1F588-ECD1-40CE-A38B-3FDE5623F81B.jpeg

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Great guys. The pool noodle thing should work great. Amazing the uses you get from those things! I use a short section to slide over the end of my push pole when trailering the skiff as a "flag."

Flymph

Steelhead
Point fly in hook keeper. My second fly is free above a blood knot and thus can slide up or down to be placed in another guide.

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Point fly in hook keeper. My second fly is free above a blood knot and thus can slide up or down to be placed in another guide.
Ive tried that method and the flies come off the guide and hence the mess.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Ive tried that method and the flies come off the guide and hence the mess.
Get some small hair tie rubber bands, or better yet orthodontic rubber bands, and put them on the rod between the guides. That way you can put the extra flies under the rubber band, and since the band can be moved you can get the right tension on those flies

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter

HELP....LOL
After getting a two fly rig stuck in my rod cases a couple times, I now clip the pair off and wind them around a piece of packing foam, tape them in place. I like flat rather than round? It works for me. IMG_1291.jpg

dep

Steelhead
what I'm liking are seeing what people are fishing with!
not new to me, but encouraging as I am fishing the same or similar bugs!

I do like PhilR's recommendation.
I usually leave the leader tag off the top fly and tie the second bug on before I get in the water.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I've used these before and they work pretty well.

1658435416155.png

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I've successfully used the above solutions as well. Currently using this, foam in a case, with a naked backup in case of a tangle on the water. 20220721_143141.jpg

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I reel all the way in so my top fly rests in the tip of my fly rod, break the rod down, making sure the top of the rod is pointed toward the reel seat, take my bottom fly and loop it through one of the guides of the top section of the rod, normally this is the third guide down, once loop through I bring the bottom fly to the cork or fly keeper and hook it up. I rarely have issues.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've done this as well and rarely had issues but I think there are two flies stuck in the fabric somewhere down the tube........;-)
Me too, before I started doing this. My flies never make it into the tube itself now, I can see both of them in the section of the rod case where the reel sits.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I reel all the way in so my top fly rests in the tip of my fly rod, break the rod down, making sure the top of the rod is pointed toward the reel seat, take my bottom fly and loop it through one of the guides of the top section of the rod, normally this is the third guide down, once loop through I bring the bottom fly to the cork or fly keeper and hook it up. I rarely have issues.
Mine comes home that way often, and I always worried about wear, but really the hooks don't rub. Thanks

LostCreeker

Just Hatched
I keep pretied two and three-fly rigs in separate large ziploc bags. The tippet gets a little curled but always seems to straighten enough to fish effectively.