any recent intel on Rocky Ford?

dep

Steelhead
it was pretty heavy with vegetation about a month ago. I'm thinking the recent cold has made a difference.
looking to see if anyone has been there recently and what it looks like.
thinking of heading there this weekend.
any info is greatly appreciated.

thanks-dp

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Your question got me curious so I took a drive and walked part of the creek

IMG_3141.jpg

Sorry for the crummy quality picture, cell phone zoomed out: The old rearing ponds are mostly covered with algae and.... "flotsam" (not ship wreckage), much of the creek from the upper bridge to the bend is covered with algae, rotting vegetation and plant growth.

IMG_3142.jpg

Looking upstream from just above the "fast water" ----^

IMG_3143.jpg

The "fast water" - it seemed the east shore (left bank) had more open water right next to shore but that's just a guess.

IMG_3145.jpg

If you hook a fish, getting it on top of and released could be tricky in some places

IMG_3149.jpg

I didn't walk downstream of the lower bridge but it looks like you might be able to fish part of this big slow bend. Saw a big rooster running into the cattails.

IMG_3148.jpg

Saw several while standing on the lower bridge

IMG_3150.jpg

No wonder the creek is called Rocky Ford. Some old rocks.

@dep - Dave, I think there's enough water for a few guys to fish and share the creek. No one was out there today. 47F air temp, no "W". I saw no insects, a couple trout rose in the "fast water". Lots of brush beaten down by "F-troopers" finding their way creekside. Today was the first time I've walked along the lower section from the "fast water" to the lower bridge in several years. It's sure not getting easier to find clear access and back casts - I'd be hung up enough to bring on Tourettes.

Good luck, eh!/Pat

dep

Steelhead
thanks Pat. still looks pretty crummy in most places. I'll take a pass for this weekend.
those are some pretty great photos. I think I, as have plenty of others, fished all those areas/stood on that rock.
the lower section looks the best.
again, thanks for getting out and checking the creek for us.
it looks like there is rain pretty much over the entire state for the few days.
what to do, what to do.....

dp

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
thanks Pat. still looks pretty crummy in most places. I'll take a pass for this weekend.
those are some pretty great photos. I think I, as have plenty of others, fished all those areas/stood on that rock.
the lower section looks the best.
again, thanks for getting out and checking the creek for us.
it looks like there is rain pretty much over the entire state for the few days.
what to do, what to do.....

dp
What to do, what to do. Man, I used to chase SRC this time of year when I lived in Port Orchard. A few years ago I was staying at a friends cabin near Tahuya, we launched his boat at a launch that's since been bulldozed into non-existence. Great days on that section of Hood Canal.

Rain? We need rain badly.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Wow Pat…..what a bumper crop of weeds!!
Somethings changing with the creek, weed growth has certainly increased over the years and in recent it seems the weed growth has dramatically increased....

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Your question got me curious so I took a drive and walked part of the creek

View attachment 88398

Sorry for the crummy quality picture, cell phone zoomed out: The old rearing ponds are mostly covered with algae and.... "flotsam" (not ship wreckage), much of the creek from the upper bridge to the bend is covered with algae, rotting vegetation and plant growth.

View attachment 88399

Looking upstream from just above the "fast water" ----^

View attachment 88400

The "fast water" - it seemed the east shore (left bank) had more open water right next to shore but that's just a guess.

View attachment 88401

If you hook a fish, getting it on top of and released could be tricky in some places

View attachment 88402

I didn't walk downstream of the lower bridge but it looks like you might be able to fish part of this big slow bend. Saw a big rooster running into the cattails.

View attachment 88403

Saw several while standing on the lower bridge

View attachment 88404

No wonder the creek is called Rocky Ford. Some old rocks.

@dep - Dave, I think there's enough water for a few guys to fish and share the creek. No one was out there today. 47F air temp, no "W". I saw no insects, a couple trout rose in the "fast water". Lots of brush beaten down by "F-troopers" finding their way creekside. Today was the first time I've walked along the lower section from the "fast water" to the lower bridge in several years. It's sure not getting easier to find clear access and back casts - I'd be hung up enough to bring on Tourettes.

Good luck, eh!/Pat
For PNWFF News, this is Buzzy reporting
From Rocky Ford Creek, and that's the way it is. 😊
Great reporting Pat.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
No quail seen, spooked or heard….
But you saw a rooster pheasant it sounds like? I’ve always wondered if the Ford woukd be a good place to hunt them. I’ve seen guys walking back down from the hill above with shotguns, but no birds in hand.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
But you saw a rooster pheasant it sounds like? I’ve always wondered if the Ford woukd be a good place to hunt them. I’ve seen guys walking back down from the hill above with shotguns, but no birds in hand.
Andy -
I haven't spent much time at Rocky Ford in quite a few years but there used to be one of the Trout Lodge employees who'd walk the creek with her shotgun, she killed a few roosters and shot ducks. I don't think there are a lot of pheasants out there but certainly a few (the one I saw looked native and not a plant).

I see a few rigs parked off SR-17 where you cross the creek. We've scared up a rooster down there.

Chonay

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I have only fished RF in winter time and the weeds weren't terrible. Do the weeds get worse during warmer parts of the year?

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I have only fished RF in winter time and the weeds weren't terrible. Do the weeds get worse during warmer parts of the year?
According to @Crawbugger "it's the sun". Sure, weed growth occurs during the spring, summer and early fall but the sun has been shining in the Basin for more than the 37 years I've lived here so I don't understand his comment. I wonder about all the nutrients added to the head of this spring at Trout Lodge's hatchery and if their operation hasn't contributed to stream plant growth.

Different agencies have also affected volume of this spring (and others in the Basin) with supplemental flows into Crab Creek. Some years the upper hatchery grounds are flooded in places from all the water surfacing at Trout Lodge. Does that affect plant growth? No idea.

dep

Steelhead
based on your pictures, it looks like the water levels are up a bit. there was no shoreline below the last bridge and the concrete barrier in the water.