Anchor system for 12 ft aluminum boat?

SRC&Bassbum

Steelhead
I’m looking to add an anchor system to my 12 aluminum boat. Any ideas? I’m looking to add something to the front and back of the boat. I’ll mInly be fishing small lakes

Zak

Legend
I'm interested in the responses because I'm trying to figure out an anchor system for my 14' dory.

Divad

Whitefish
Pyramid anchor, 16lb. No need for chain, but if you do find yourself getting blown off you could add a section. I hate doing that on stillwater because chain is loud in and out of the boat. Anchor rope preferably or whatever ya got to attach it. 1.25 x boat length = anchor lb roughly minimum.

If you’re blowing off your 16 pyramid it probably sucks to be out there anyways.

If you don’t have a cleat already, I really like the lowpro flip up style for lake anchors that have the rope guard.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Checkout Thomas Pocket Pullers.
Depending on the needed anchor weight a Lil Scotty is another option.
scotty-anchorlock276-2__63320.1628031324.jpg

I use both with anchors up to 15#'s.

Divad

Whitefish
Personally not as big of a fan of the Scotty anchor system, unless you’re on an inflatable. To me tried and true works best and is lower profile.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Personally not as big of a fan of the Scotty anchor system, unless you’re on an inflatable. To me tried and true works best and is lower profile.
I've used both the Pocket Puller and the Scotty mount that @Old406Kid shows, I have the (Scotty) bow mount centered on my pram and the stern mount on the port stern of the transom. They work well for my use. One downside of the Scotty is that rope diameter is a limiting factor which really shouldn't be an issue for a 12-foot boat and a 15# (or so) anchor. BTW - I prefer pyramid anchors to chain or those abominations - mushroom anchors.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'll just throw this out there.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
On my 12 foot aluminum boat, I use a simple Lift 'n Lock on the stern and a Scotty's anchor mount on the bow. I use 12 pound mushroom anchors with ropes on both. Both options work really well. The hardest thing is finding suitable mounting locations.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here's one of my boat from an earlier thread. It's a little hard to see the Lift 'n Lock, but it is on top of the starboard corner of the transom.

https://pnwflyfishing.com/forum/ind...you-done-for-your-boat-lately.2324/post-63184

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
If I recall correctly, Three Rivers Marine in Woodinville carries a house brand that is basically a knock-off of Lee Lock. That might be overkill for what you need for your boat.
Its been awhile since I've been there, but might be worth a stop if you are near Woodinville. Their website pretty much sucks.
SF

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'll just throw this out there.
He seems like a nice guy, but good Lord that was not my favorite video.
Video summary-
Getting blown off your anchor really sucks. Like, it's really annoying. Kinda like talking excessively about getting blown anchor. :ROFLMAO:
Boat length X 1.25 to get correct anchor weight. 12' boat=15 lb anchor
Lead pyramid anchor.
"scope" or feed out anchor line in the wind to help anchor dig in.

So save yourself 8:51 and go buy a 15 pyramid anchor. :cool:

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
He seems like a nice guy, but good Lord that was not my favorite video.
Video summary-
Getting blown off your anchor really sucks. Like, it's really annoying. Kinda like talking excessively about getting blown anchor. :ROFLMAO:
Boat length X 1.25 to get correct anchor weight. 12' boat=15 lb anchor
Lead pyramid anchor.
"scope" or feed out anchor line in the wind to help anchor dig in.

So save yourself 8:51 and go buy a 15 pyramid anchor. :cool:
It's kinda like writing a 1000 word essay with only 50 words in your brain. :)

Bryan

Just Hatched
I have a Leelock on both the bow and stern of my 15' modified-v aluminum, with a 25 lb 3-sided pyramid on each. Obviously more anchor than you need, but I sure love those Leelocks.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
My 10ft pram uses a 12# concrete block fore and aft. Either the shape or weight is not proper as it doesn't take much breeze to move me. So, I have an 8# dumbbell I slide down the upwind side, on a carabiner when needed. Pocket pullers work fine...