Almost was "THAT GUY" at the boat launch and ended up on youtube...

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Well, I almost did it. Was almost the boneheaded boater at the ramp. Got THIS close to launching the boat without the drain plug in.

I was just starting to push it off the trailer and happened to notice it was sitting a little weird. I'm lucky my brain wasn't feeling stupid today and made the connection quick enough to hook it back onto the trailer and pull out to drain. I'd taken the plug out to empty the rainwater that snuck through the cover and must have done the classic "forgot to put it back in".

Now, it wouldn't have sunk completely because the bench seats are foam filled. But it would have filled with water and been a huge headache at a very busy ramp. Sadly, I didn't have the plug (or a spare) in my truck for some reason. So I had to head home. Thankfully, it was a lake just minutes from my house.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
We've done it once. Saw it in the cup holder and loaded back onto the trailer right quick. Glad everything was OK.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
Hmm, I've done it more than once, but easy to notice in my pram before I unhook my boat from the trailer, so just crank it back up....

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Well, I almost did it. Was almost the boneheaded boater at the ramp. Got THIS close to launching the boat without the drain plug in.

I was just starting to push it off the trailer and happened to notice it was sitting a little weird. I'm lucky my brain wasn't feeling stupid today and made the connection quick enough to hook it back onto the trailer and pull out to drain. I'd taken the plug out to empty the rainwater that snuck through the cover and must have done the classic "forgot to put it back in".

Now, it wouldn't have sunk completely because the bench seats are foam filled. But it would have filled with water and been a huge headache at a very busy ramp. Sadly, I didn't have the plug (or a spare) in my truck for some reason. So I had to head home. Thankfully, it was a lake just minutes from my house.

The first time I took my clacacraft to the lake to teach myself to row. I backed it down the ramp like a regular boat and was about to unhook the winch strap and noticed the boat filling with water.. close call for me too..

Russell

Steelhead
I used to remove the plug on my boat to drain the builge after every trip to lake washington. My plug was brass and treaded in from the outside of the hull and I don't remember how many times i launched the boat to come to the dock and find water up to the seats. Would have to quickly get it up on a plane to drain it and then quickly jump into the water to thread the plug back in at the dock. Luckily I allways left the wrench and plug in the well.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I may or may not know a guy who launched his Whaler early on without two drain plugs and tooled around Puget Sound for hours wondering why on earth earth his bilge pump kept running. I think it’s only happened once…maybe ;).

They really are unsinkable legends.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Mine is always in the boat, right by the hole. I like the idea of a keeper chain or lanyard Josh! I think I have an extra in the boat...I think? Pretty sure... Oh God, now I have to go check.

I've never forgot to put the plug back in, but I did try to launch with the transom saver still bungeed on one time. Yeah, that was dumb. :ROFLMAO:

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
One Laser nationals, with 182 boat fleet no less, I had a really rough first day.
Blew off some steam that night and got to the boat late the next day. Sailed out to the course(about an hour) with a huge cup of gas station coffee and a greasy ass breakfast burrito.
Started in with my pre-race routine; checking wind, side by side speed testing, etc. I was doing okay at first but started going really slow. Heard a sloshing sound when roll tacking.
Yup. Forgot to put my plug in. It was still hanging in by the little tabs. Pulled my boat up on a RIB coach boat and got 90% of the water out. Good enough.
Went 2, 1, 2 that day. Probably the best day of sailing I've ever had.
Still wonder if I should have tried that technique more often... :ROFLMAO:

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
I am in the forgot the drain plug group. Did it when I was 17-18. So far that has been the only time. I didn't get all the water out at the ramp, but after launching, I got on plane, pulled the plug out and watched the water drain out. That was pretty neat. After that trip, I always left the plug in and I always carry along a spare.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
We have an inspection station just north of Pasco on 395 that I manage to visit on a regular basis. I asked the guy if it is ok to have my drain plugs in, and he

said it was fine.
While I agree if everything is dry, many states have that requirement.
Here's Wyoming as an example.
Boaters must drain all water from watercraft, including all compartments, after leaving a water. All bilge/ballast/live well plugs must be removed from the ...

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Just a heads up, many states require that drain plugs be removed during transport for AIS inspections.
Pueblo reservoir does an inspection every time you launch for which the plug must be out. They tell you to put your plug in when they are done. Kinda awesome really.