Alaska (Katmai) 2023

I was fortunate enough to head up to Alaska again this year in a 10 day fishing and bear viewing trip. My wife and I have done variations of this trip for the past 5-6 years and it has quickly become the one trip we hope to be able to do annually for many years to come. The combination of fishing opportunities (for me) and photography opportunities (for her) makes it a near perfect vacation for us both. Similar to previous years, we spent a week at a lodge and a few days camping. The lodge flies folks daily over to Brooks Camp via float plane for bear viewing which my wife does every day when there. I stay back at the lodge and fish the rivers and/or lake the lodge is situated on, or if the opportunity arises do fly outs to other nearby rivers and streams. Since fly outs require two anglers, my ability to do them depends on if another angler in camp that day needs a partner. This trip, I had the opportunity to do two. Both to a new to me, smaller stream that did not disappoint.

River rainbows were plentiful and healthy in both the rivers I fished. Fish were taken on streamers, dries, droppers, fry patterns and even a couple on beads. The majority were taken on streamers though with fry taking the majority of the rest. Some of the fish caught across both streams fished. There were bigger fish caught in camp this week, especially on a river I did not get a chance to do a fly out to. Not complaining though. Consistent fish this size are a blast….

IMG_2781.jpeg

IMG_2782.jpeg

IMG_2789.jpeg

IMG_2790.jpeg

IMG_2791.jpeg

IMG_2792.jpeg

IMG_2793.jpeg

IMG_2807.jpeg

IMG_2794.jpeg

IMG_2795.jpeg

Next…lakers and bears…

Last edited:

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Laker fishing was also lights out in both the river connecting two lakes at the lodge as well as the lakes themselves. The last two days I dedicated 3/4ths of my time to landing a double digit laker on a fly. Something I accomplished last year but was not able to do this year despite landing multiple dozens of them over my last two days of fishing. Another angler from the Seattle area accomplished that feat in the last day though so it was nice to see it happen at least. Nonetheless, I’m not complaining landing these guys until my arms were sore. Even landed a couple on a spey rod swinging flies in the river. Kind of unique and fun! The scenery wasn’t bad either…
IMG_2797.jpeg

IMG_2798.jpeg

Rep’d PNWFF one day as well but had to switch back to the fishing hat with years of built up mojo when I got serious ;)..

IMG_2796.jpeg

IMG_2799.jpeg

IMG_2800.jpeg

IMG_2801.jpeg

Bear viewing was great as usual. Some cell phone pics for now. Nothing to share yet from the good cameras. My wife is still digging through them all!

Ran into multiple bears on the trail…

IMG_2803.jpeg

Watched come lip fishers…IMG_2806.jpeg

And had a bunch of fun just watching bears be bears for a few days. Always a cool experience…

IMG_2805.jpeg

IMG_2804.jpeg

Overall, great trip. Even camping in fairly heavy rain for two of the last three days was enjoyable! The lodge was great again as well. I don’t fish with guides ever except up there so my experience with them is minimal. That said, I can honestly say I enjoyed all my time spent fishing with each guide I went out with. Knowledgeable, and solid people to spend a day fishing with.

I already can’t wait until 2024.

Last edited:

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Very cool trip, how do you get around to different rivers? Do you just borrow the lodges transportation or does someone go with you?

You fish with a guide each day (cost included as part of the package). You can (and I often do) fish on your own in the river the lodge is on after dinner. To fish other rivers you do fly outs via float planes.

I gotta get my wife into bear watching! Great trip!

It has definitely worked out for me ;).

Last edited:

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Beautiful fish and an amazing place. Glad you had a great trip Jason.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Epic trip report as always! Wouldn't mind roping those lakers in that kind of scenery at all.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Awesome report!

I'd never complain at catching those rainbows, but lakers on the fly?? Sign me up!

I love catching lakers on the fly. Seems like they are not as highly regarded as targets overall. They are a bit stinky and slimy and don’t perform the acrobatics of the rainbows while hooked. They are big, eat flies when accessible and pull hard though. What’s not to like. I love catching those rainbows. They fight like our coho but sustained. They don’t quit after 2 -3 runs :). However, I’ll spend all day chasing lakers when the fishing is as hot as it was! You just never know what you might hook into out of the deep. Multiple 18-20 lb fish were caught trolling spoons in the same spots I was fishing.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I love catching lakers on the fly. Seems like they are not as highly regarded as targets overall. They are a bit stinky and slimy and don’t perform the acrobatics of the rainbows while hooked. They are big, eat flies when accessible and pull hard though. What’s not to like. I love catching those rainbows. They fight like our coho but sustained. They don’t quit after 2 -3 runs :). However, I’ll spend all day chasing lakers when the fishing is as hot as it was! You just never know what you might hook into out of the deep. Multiple 18-20 lb fish were caught trolling spoons in the same spots I was fishing.
Mac’s are certainly much more fun in shallower water on flies than winching them up from a downrrigger strike…I’ve caught a few in the mouth of the Big Ku river as it flows out of Kukaklic Lake