A Memorial, For A Man Named Greggor

Greggor

'Schooled' by Roy Patrick
Forum Supporter
If this post goes against any rules, please feel free to take it down. I am not very familiar with the ins and outs of this forum, and the nuances it holds. I learn about everything here only through osmosis, and my late grandfather's love for the craft, and everyone here.

In many of his posts, I was referred to as Greggors granddaughter. I was his fishing companion ( and coho photographer) for many years now, and we were the dynamic duo. I was fortunate enough in my life to be blessed with an amazing grandfather, who taught me many things in my life. A love for fly fishing, a love for gardening, for golf, and anything in the great outdoors. He taught me as much as he could, about putting a rod in my hand. We had so many more plans for this upcoming coho season, and plans to raid the beaches again once the time came.

However, on May 6th, I lost him.

Suddenly, and unexpectedly. Quite frankly, I'm lost. But what I do know, is that he loved this forum. He showed me all of your photos daily. Your stories about a sea glass man with sea glass hands. Of men and women so full of knowledge he'd consume with such enthusiasm. He was always here, and always reading. Always happy to report back to me on all of the happenings.

Which is why I wanted to come here, and share with you all how much this forum meant to him, and how much you all made him and I laugh. This place was something special for him, and for me, as much as I don't know. This account is a menagerie of all of the things he loved, and many of the people he cared about.

I'm the last of this duo. The one who now has the rods and reels with not too much experience to go off of. But I'm going to try. I want to keep the tradition alive, as inexperienced as I am with a fly rod. I know it's what he'd want from me, and I know with each cast he'd smile; as awful as my technique is. God knows I'll need some practice.

Thank you, all of you. For giving my grandfather such an amazing place to be a part of. For making us laugh, and sharing your knowledge. I know he'll be out there catching coho somewhere, and someday I hope to catch more with him again.

May you all catch your biggest fish, and never lose your favorite flies.

- Cameron, granddaughter of Greggor

Zak

Legend
If this post goes against any rules, please feel free to take it down. I am not very familiar with the ins and outs of this forum, and the nuances it holds. I learn about everything here only through osmosis, and my late grandfather's love for the craft, and everyone here.

In many of his posts, I was referred to as Greggors granddaughter. I was his fishing companion ( and coho photographer) for many years now, and we were the dynamic duo. I was fortunate enough in my life to be blessed with an amazing grandfather, who taught me many things in my life. A love for fly fishing, a love for gardening, for golf, and anything in the great outdoors. He taught me as much as he could, about putting a rod in my hand. We had so many more plans for this upcoming coho season, and plans to raid the beaches again once the time came.

Suddenly, and unexpectedly. Quite frankly, I'm lost. But what I do know, is that he loved this forum. He showed me all of your photos daily. Your stories about a sea glass man with sea glass hands. Of men and women so full of knowledge he'd consume with such enthusiasm. He was always here, and always reading. Always happy to report back to me on all of the happenings.

Which is why I wanted to come here, and share with you all how much this forum meant to him, and how much you all made him and I laugh. This place was something special for him, and for me, as much as I don't know. This account is a menagerie of all of the things he loved, and many of the people he cared about.

I'm the last of this duo. The one who now has the rods and reels with not too much experience to go off of. But I'm going to try. I want to keep the tradition alive, as inexperienced as I am with a fly rod. I know it's what he'd want from me, and I know with each cast he'd smile; as awful as my technique is. God knows I'll need some practice.

Thank you, all of you. For giving my grandfather such an amazing place to be a part of. For making us laugh, and sharing your knowledge. I know he'll be out there catching coho somewhere, and someday I hope to catch more with him again.

That is a beautiful tribute to your grandfather! Thank you so much for sharing it. Condolences on your loss.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin

Thank you for posting this, Cameron.

I had the pleasure of fishing with Greggor multiple times for pink salmon before I moved to Oregon. While I never got to know him that well, I enjoyed my days fishing with him. He was a pleasure to have on the water and on the forum.

Please stay around and don't be shy to ask any of us for advice, open seats, etc.

Smalma

Life of the Party
A wonderful tribute to your grandfather! You are a living legacy of his passions and love, in the end to be able to leave that sort of legacy is a life well lived!

Yes, please stay around, the members of this community would be thrilled to contribute a tiny piece in keeping your shared passions alive.

Condolences.

Curt

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Cameron - Thank you for sharing a lovely tribute to your grandfather. He was a lucky man to have a granddaughter like you with whom he could spend time enjoying the outdoors (and who obviously loved spending time with him). Like Evan said, please stay around! /Patrick

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Cameron,
I’m very sorry for your loss and thank you for the beautiful tribute to your grandfather.
I’m glad I got the opportunity to meet both of you on the beach last summer and you both were able to share a good laugh together regarding me.
Brian - the seaglass man

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
What a nice tribute Cameron. How lucky you are to have had such a person in your life.

You also reminded me how special this forum community is.

I also say stick around. I’m sure there are a few people in your area who would join you for outings and you might make a new friend.

Plus, if you keep fishing, maybe someday you can pass on the love and wonder your grandfather shared with you.

Mike d

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
I am sorry for your loss. This is a wonderful tribute! Thanks for sharing. This grandpa recommends that you stick around.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Very sorry to hear the news. But thank you for sharing it, and your wonderful words, with us. I think any of us would be honored to think that someone would speak so kindly about our lives after we're gone. Your love for him shines through.

Please know you are always welcome here. Lots of folks around this place who would be happy to help teach you to carry on your grandfather's fishing legacy.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter

Cameron, I just want to say thank you for writing this and sharing it with us, and thanks for sharing your grandfather with us, too. We should all be so lucky to have that kind of relationship in our lives. I am sorry for your loss. I hope you continue fly fishing and it helps you to keep feeling connected to Greggor. -Matt

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Cameron,

I am so sorry for your loss. I did not know your grandfather, but can say with confidence that any grandfather would be beaming after a tribute like that.

I am the only fly fisherman in a family with several that have passed on, and have ended up the recipient of much of their old gear. I promise you can find him in his rods, in his flies if he tied, in his hat.... Hes there and its Magic.

Fish hard for him,

Ben

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
My son and I met your grandfather last year when he gave us a TV. He seemed like a solid guy. Apparently he had fished with my dad and he told him he was excited for the time he would be a grandfather. I hadn't ever discussed this with him before as he passed about 9 months before he would have become one. Much like in your case he was my fishing partner. Fishing is different now, a lot of times I go on my own. It's hard to describe but it's less about the fishing now and more a connection to him. Hopefully if you stay with it fishing can in some way be a connection to your grandfather.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Sorry for your loss, especially the sudden nature of it.

If you find yourself struggling to carry the torch in the absence of a fishing buddy, there are some great fly clubs around, including a handful of women’s groups. And I know fishing with internet strangers isn’t always ideal, unfortunately especially for women, but this forum does have a few highly skilled female anglers who’d probably meet up with you for a casting session!

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I am sorry for you loss Cameron. Your tribute to your grandfather is a true expression of love. I hope you continue with fishing and find an ongoing connection with Greggor. If you have questions about fishing, this forum is filled with answers. And if you want to fish with someone, there are many members here who would accompany you. Peace.

Greggor

'Schooled' by Roy Patrick
Forum Supporter
I'm shocked by the outpouring of support that has come from this post. I knew this forum was filled with wonderful people, but I am still blown away by the amount of replies and reactions and well wishes. This place really is something special, and I'm so deeply happy that my grandfather found this place.

As for those asking I stick around-- I will. Perhaps not on this account, as my only form of access is his phone. But I plan on making my own and showing the same amount of support he's always given here. As much as he taught me (or tried), some info always went over my head. So many stories I did not get to hear, and favorite fishing spots I never got to see. I would love to take in all of the information, and keep it alive. I would also love to see all of your stories, and maybe even at some point meet some of you in the future on some beach in the future. I could use a teacher, and fishing buddy or two, sometime in the future.

As his photographer last season, I did a lot of things with him. Even as moral support on the beach, just being the runner to help take the photos or help run him water or Oberto pep sticks when he'd step out of the water for a break. One of the things I did, was take a video, down on Picnic Point beach last year. In it, we had a rare experience (for us) on being extremely lucky there. I caught him in his craft, with fish jumping all around him. He was lit up like a Christmas tree when he hit that water, and got those bites. Elated watching the fish jump all around him. A kid in a candy store, really.

He criticized his technique in these photos and in the video (I have it, but I cant seem to post it), and used them to try and correct his mistakes. A perfectionist to the end. But these photos are more than that to me, and I thought I'd share them here with you all, and immortalize him here. As much as he could find wrong with them, I only see one thing: My grandfather, loving and enjoying one of his favorite sports in the world.

Again, thank you for all of your lovely and kind messages. I appreciate every single one of you, and your dedication to this forum he loved so much. Please never stop doing what you do. I promise I'll be around to comment and read on my account I'll make, to keep the connection alive.

Well wishes to all of you,

- Cameron

Attachments

• IMG_20230825_181500.jpg
    IMG_20230825_181500.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20230825_181446.jpg
    IMG_20230825_181446.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20230825_181317.jpg
    IMG_20230825_181317.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 72

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Sorry for your loss Cameron. Like many, I never knew Greggor personally, but recognized the screen name as one of regulars here. Hats off to you for making the effort to come on here under his handle and let us all know what happened and provide some closure. I too hope you can stick around and enjoy the fellowship of the forum!

andy