A couple of friendly reminders

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
With winter now over you have to ask yourself: "Did I put address labels on all of my fly boxes this year?" If you have a computer, printer and some transparent tape you still have time to do this and possibly prevent the loss of a valuable box of flies. An hour well spent as opposed to the many hours-and dollars-spent to create a replacement box.

Another less important but handy tip is to put alignment dots on all of your fly rods that don't have them. The dots speed the process of rigging up and ensure that the sections are all properly oriented. To do this easily just assemble the rod as close to perfect as possible and clean the areas to be dotted with alcohol. With a single edge razor blade cut a round toothpick off square and dip in the paint of your choice then apply the dot of paint to the adjacent sections. As easy as putting a period at the end of a sentence.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
With winter now over you have to ask yourself: "Did I put address labels on all of my fly boxes this year?" If you have a computer, printer and some transparent tape you still have time to do this and possibly prevent the loss of a valuable box of flies. An hour well spent as opposed to the many hours-and dollars-spent to create a replacement box.

I've learned this lesson before 🤦‍♂️.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Good call! I wanted to add that with those alignment dots, add some measuring increments on your rod so that you know how small your fish actually are. ;)

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Last time I refinished my net, I wrote my name on it. For the alignment dots, there may be some nail polish around the house that can be used.

These are good reminders

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
In the historical world of bamboo rods those alignment dots were referred to as "witness marks". They were usually a stamped dimple on the metal ferrules to align the rod sections together properly.

Another timely reminder... studded tires need to come off by March 31st.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Just an etiquette reminded as more people get out with the nicer weather.
Either assemble as much of your gear the night before or do it in the parking lot before launching. Don’t assemble your gear on the boat launch.
If you need help carrying you craft to the water, ask someone for help.
SF

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Another less important but handy tip is to put alignment dots on all of your fly rods that don't have them.
This was timely for me. Sunday I hit the south sound with a new rod (Beulah 9 1/2’ 6wt) and noticed immediately no alignment dots when I was rigging up. I’m sure I saw this when I first got the rod but had forgotten.

I used a silver metallic Sharpie pen to make the dots and then gave each a quick overcoat with some Solarez thin UV resin. So there’s also a just palpable bump that might help when rigging up in the early morning dark.

Thanks Ive!

Andy

Attachments

• 96A666D1-4397-4ECB-9B12-D902EADF544D.jpeg
    96A666D1-4397-4ECB-9B12-D902EADF544D.jpeg
    840.2 KB · Views: 12

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The allignment dots are not as big of a deal for me. My fishing buddies do not allow me to assemble rods on site. If I do not show up with everything rigged and ready to go then I get a talkin to.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I wish I was able to rig up the night before and just leave my rods in my car, but alas, I'm too paranoid someone will break in and steal my shit (someones already broken in to my garage and stolen all my tools)
I have a pretty good system. My stuff stays rigged up. My gear for the trip will always be set aside in 1-3 plastic containers. I also got some cheap rod holder straps for the headliner of my truck. Therefore, I am able to just open the garage and load the gear and then go. Most of the drive I am paranoid that I forgot something still ha ha

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I just use one of those cheap engravers to mark my plastic flyboxes with my name and phone number. Works great. Can't wear or fall off.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
The allignment dots are not as big of a deal for me. My fishing buddies do not allow me to assemble rods on site. If I do not show up with everything rigged and ready to go then I get a talkin to.
I generally have everything in my truck ready to go the night before (except for my kayak), including rods rigged and in the rooftop rod vault. Wouldn't chance doing so if I wasn't able to keep the truck in a very secure attached garage. It's about maximizing my time on water.

But the first time anybody gives me a 'talking to' about not having everything rigged up when I show up it will be the last time I ever fish with them.

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have a pretty good system. My stuff stays rigged up. My gear for the trip will always be set aside in 1-3 plastic containers. I also got some cheap rod holder straps for the headliner of my truck. Therefore, I am able to just open the garage and load the gear and then go. Most of the drive I am paranoid that I forgot something still ha ha
Ah. that makes sense. I more or less am set up in that way, short of rods being rigged.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I never gave a thought to alignment dots on fly rods until I got a couple rods that do have them. Pretty nice. I just might follow Ive's advice and put them on other rods.