6wts

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
I want to add another 9’ 6wt to my arsenal. Something that isn’t ultra fast and has a little feel and would be at home throwing large foam dries on a windy western freestone or tail water from a drift boat and could pull double duty with a streamer line. I have a 905 centric and am considering a 906 centric but am open to suggestion. I have no brand loyalty or price in mind, I just like rods that are fun to cast and fish. I have a 697 sage igniter which I consider an ultra fast rod and I have a glass 6wt so I have both of those boxes checked.

Thanks in advance.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I haven't casted or fished a bazillion rods but I did fish an Orvis Helios 3D 906 and it just sung, wasn't super fast, had feel but wanted to throw plenty of line. They went on sale, not sure if they are around, I see the 5 weights are.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Loomis IMX-Pro might be worth looking at.
Listed as fast, but not nearly as fast as the Sage X it replaced.
SF

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
I haven't casted or fished a bazillion rods but I did fish an Orvis Helios 3D 906 and it just sung, wasn't super fast, had feel but wanted to throw plenty of line. They went on sale, not sure if they are around, I see the 5 weights are.
I’ve never fished a Helios 6wt but have heard good things. I’ve fished the 9 and 10wt briefly on a guided trip and liked them a lot. My only gripe is the white band but if I loved the rod I’d get over it

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have a 905 centric and am considering a 906
I have the 906 and absolutely love it. Such a pleasant do it all rod. I had both the Radian and Centric and preferred the Centric by a ton--so much more touch to it. Never fished the 905 so I can't compare. But I can't speak highly enough of the centric 906. It helps I found it as a used demo rod for dirt cheap, but still in fantastic condition ;)

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Or, you could hold out and see what the latest Orvis H-series is gonna be like. The H3 got hit outta the park....so good. I'll be curious to see what they've got cookin' for the next gen...

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
$: The 906 Echo Trout X is money--especially for a mid-priced rod.

$: The Hardy Zane is a little saltier, but still awesome. Can be found on Sierra For about what you'd pay for the Trout X.

$$: But, if you're looking at the Centric, why not switch it up and get a 846 Sector? I've a feeling the industry is headed towards shorter rods (watch the Helios update), and that short Scott is crazy good. I've got one you can try out if you're in the Seattle area.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
I have the 906 and absolutely love it. Such a pleasant do it all rod. I had both the Radian and Centric and preferred the Centric by a ton--so much more touch to it. Never fished the 905 so I can't compare. But I can't speak highly enough of the centric 906. It helps I found it as a used demo rod for dirt cheap, but still in fantastic condition ;)
The 905 is sick. It’s about as fast as I’d ever want a 5wt to be and still has feel to it. I feel like the 906 might be just as money but it’s always hard to know how different models compare. Thanks for the feedback from a real user and not a paid review online lol. It’s definitely high on my list. And it’s a beautiful fly rod.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
$: The 906 Echo Trout X is money--especially for a mid-priced rod.

$: The Hardy Zane is a little saltier, but still awesome. Can be found on Sierra For about what you'd pay for the Trout X.

$$: But, if you're looking at the Centric, why not switch it up and get a 846 Sector? I've a feeling the industry is headed towards shorter rods (watch the Helios update), and that short Scott is crazy good. I've got one you can try out if you're in the Seattle area.
I’m on my way to alaska right now and I’ll be back around first week of Feb. I’d love to meet up and cast that rod I can send you a PM when it’s getting closer

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’m on my way to alaska right now and I’ll be back around first week of Feb. I’d love to meet up and cast that rod I can send you a PM when it’s getting closer
Deal.

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
Sounds like a Burkheimer might be a good fit for that. I have a couple of 5wts and a 4wt. I think avid might have a 6wt if you wanted to cast one. It might be worth looking at used stuff. I have a 6wt zaxis and streamdance glx that you could cast if you want. They are both 9'6" though.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
If you like faster rods, then the 906 Centric will probably appeal to you. I cast it alongside the G Series 6 wt, which is more moderate action. I bought the G Series. Nothing wrong with the Centric, but I'm just not fond of really fast action rods.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’ll throw this out there based on no self knowledge but seems to get a lot of good reviews. The Douglas Sky G.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
If you like faster rods, then the 906 Centric will probably appeal to you. I cast it alongside the G Series 6 wt, which is more moderate action. I bought the G Series. Nothing wrong with the Centric, but I'm just not fond of really fast action rods.
I think there is a place for fast rods but I don’t enjoy them much for trout fishing applications. I want my trout rods to feel like a trout rod, actually bend, and cast nicely inside of 40’. Im intrigued by the new G series. But if I’m throwing a big salmon fly dry in the wind does it have the nuts?

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
Sounds like a Burkheimer might be a good fit for that. I have a couple of 5wts and a 4wt. I think avid might have a 6wt if you wanted to cast one. It might be worth looking at used stuff. I have a 6wt zaxis and streamdance glx that you could cast if you want. They are both 9'6" though.
I’ve never cast a Burkie single hander but I have a spey rod. Beautiful rods, and great customer service.

RCF

Life of the Party
Not sure if you saw this so throwing it out there just in case:

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
My 690 is a Sage RPL and I like it. Moderate action (but faster than the Light Lines) with a soft tip. It does everything I want a 6wt to do, casts nicely within 40' and can also send a bass popper 60+.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
My 690 is a Sage RPL and I like it. Moderate action (but faster than the Light Lines) with a soft tip. It does everything I want a 6wt to do, casts nicely within 40' and can also send a bass popper 60+.
After spending over $200 to repair my XP I’m done buying more older sages unless I get a screaming deal. I used to have a 7wt RPL and agree it was a nice casting action. I caught a lot of summer steel on that rod once upon a time.