Search results

1. Wetswinger

Intermediate Line Technique

Here's an informative video on basic techniques for those new to intermediate lines on the lake...enjoy.
  2. Wetswinger

Intermediate Line

https://www.cortlandline.com/blogs/cortland-stories/neutral-density-fly-lines-explained Informative...
  3. Wetswinger

NFR Feather Identification

Found these feathers on my walk yesterday, in Oly. I don't recognize them. Any ideas which bird they come from.? Just curious..
  4. Wetswinger

2-Piece Rods

Why does everyone shun 2-piece rods anymore.? I'm a big fan. The less I have to f*** around with extra ferrules the better. I keep all my 4-piece rods connected in 2 sections. I don't buy the convenience excuse. You can't place a 4ft tube in your trunk.? You need another car.! LOL...But really...
  5. Wetswinger

Batson Rainshadow Rod Blanks

Seeking opinions on Rainshadow graphite rod blanks. I've not been around any but I've heard they are a quality rod. These are from Batson Industry's s out of Washington State. Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks
  6. Wetswinger

Wet Flies for Lakes

I'm getting supplies readied to go on a tying binge for the year ahead. I'm seeking your advice on some good patterns for classic wet fly and soft hackle flies. Not leech or minnow patterns but buggy wet flies, Coachman, Sprately, etc...Thanks
  7. Wetswinger

Greased Line.?

What do people mean when they say "greased line techniques "?
  8. Wetswinger

Pork Yucatan Style

This is not Cochinita Pabil, no banana leaf and definitely not cooked in a pit, but it does use some of pabils elements. It's mainly pork shoulder, achiote spice and lime juice. First thing I do is smoke the meat for two hours using a common spice rub. The smoking adds that earthy flavor...
  9. Wetswinger

Homemade Line Floatant

What household products can you use for fly line floatant.? I've heard of using beeswax or chapstick. Do you have any secret recipes.? Do these household products risk damaging your line.?
  10. Wetswinger

Panfish Rod Suggestion

I've received a discount voucher and decided to buy a fly rod dedicated to panfish/ small trout. My choices are a 7'6"-4# Glass, a 8'-3# med. carbon, or an 8'6"-4# med. carbon. I'll be fishing out of a pram on small lakes. What do you suggest and why.?
  11. Wetswinger

Green Chorominoids.?

I' ve heard mentioned, green chorominoids at my local lake. Is that a thing? How about a discussion on patterns and effectiveness. I've really not heard of these before...
  12. Wetswinger

High Pressure Weather

Yesterday, standing on the boat ramp at a local lake, I had an interesting conversation with a man about the effects of a high barometer. Fishing was slow for everyone there. He stated that he rarely went lake fishing when high pressure was in place but with holiday week this was his only...
  13. Wetswinger

Getting Skunked

Yesterday I got skunked at my favorite lake, you know, the one with all those fish that anybody could catch. The guy down the way did, screaming like a fool at every success. Must a been a lot of success, cause he screamed a lot. Now I'm a f--ing loser. Worthless scum that can't even get a...
  14. Wetswinger

Taming Guides

Seeking opinions on the use of taming guides on a fly rod. Placed a short distance above the initial stripping guide, it is supposed to guickly flatten your line accommodating smooth movement through the remaining guides, making for easier casting and superior distance. Has anyone used these...
  15. Wetswinger

Westside Lake Turnover ?

Would this be prime time for turnover? I went to Offutt lake today and it was cloudy. I wasn't sure if this is normal this time of year. Not even a strike let alone a fish. I'm trying to learn what time of year to go to a more shallow, less prone lake..
  16. Wetswinger

Rod Building Decorative Ribbon Wrap

I'm looking for any information I can get about wrapping ribbon on a fly rod. Where would you find some material.? Any hints on installing it.? This photo is of a 1973 Fenwick. I'd like to incorporate this look into the rods I am building this Winter. Any info. is appreciated...
  17. Wetswinger

Rain Bibs or Pants.?

I plan on fishing, from a pram, on my local lakes on the wetside, all Winter this year. I need to get some rain pants. What do you prefer, bibs or pants. I'll be doing a lot of sitting not producing much body heat. Would I really need breathable material or would cheaper fabric suffice.? Should...
  18. Wetswinger

Vintage Hardy Fibalite Glass Rod

A few weeks back I was inquiring, on this site, about what were some of the quality glass rods from the 60's and 70's. I have a 1974 Fenwick 8", 6# that I love and wondered what the competition offered back in the day. Several replies mentioned that rods produced by "Fisher" blanks, out of...
  19. Wetswinger

Good Inexpensive Lines!

https://www.flyshack.com/DisplayItem.aspx?ItemID=23802 I bought 3 of these lines recently. Finally got them spooled-up and headed out to a local lake for a test drive. I purchased a WF intermediate , WF Floater and a WF Type 6 full sink. WF Full Sink-- this is my biggest surprise. This line...
  20. Wetswinger

Bruce & Walker Rods

Do any of you know much about Bruce & Walker rods out of England.? I can see their rods for sale but no reviews on the quality or performance of them . This is for the vintage fiberglass rods..