Search results

1. Bugmeister

The Perfect Storm (aka fishing on westside this afternoon)

After waking up, hitting the gym, and taking a morning trail walk with my wife, I figured I had earned myself some fishing time this afternoon. I pumped up the 11’ fishing kayak, grabbed the anchor system and all the related boat gear, and headed down to the lake. 1:30 pm barely a cloud in the...
  2. Bugmeister

NFR Moment of zen - Friends of Big Bear Valley Eagles

Ok I can admit I really enjoy watching the Big Bear eagle nest cam. Find it relaxing and the birds are amazing. Anybody else? https://www.friendsofbigbearvalley.org/ Among other things, the eagles catch trout with regularity. A week or two ago the male caught a delicious coot and they...
  3. Bugmeister

6 weight floating “daily driver” lines - tuning a Scott Centric

Seeking some input from folks who have experience using lots of different 6 weight floating general purpose lines, with bonus points if you have used them with a Scott Centric. What floating line do you like that is not in the “uplined” MPX/Rio Grand zone? Context: seeking a new floating line...
  4. Bugmeister

Goodbye, Aunt S

I lost my favorite Aunt earlier today and it has me reeling a bit, though I knew it was coming. I’m posting this stream-of-consciousness as a way for me to celebrate her and to start processing her death. Oof. Aunt S was funny, beautiful, smart, successful, had class for days, was an amazing...
  5. Bugmeister

WTT My hardtail Novara Bonanza MB for your…..fishing stuff?

I have more bikes than I know what to do with. Anyone interested in engineering some form of trade? Stuff I might be interested in includes but isn’t limited to… >A 7 wt? A 7 wt reel/line? >float tube w/fins? >whole bunch of flies >willingness to take me fishing for SRCs (want to improve my...
  6. Bugmeister

Wales!

So….I blinked and now my little one turned 16yo and is heading to a 2 year prep school in the UK. So many emotions. Tough to reconcile that my little mudskipper is leaving home. This was her just a minute ago… In less than a month, I am flying out to the UK and then to Wales to drop her off...
  7. Bugmeister

NFR Stoked on surfing/Stoked about a surf shop in Seaside, OR

I grew up in/on the ocean surfing almost every day and spent my early years making lots of life decisions through the lens of “will there be surf there?” Living up in the “2+ hours one way to surf” portion of the PNW now for >10 years, and trying to juggle wife, kids, high intensity job, etc...
  8. Bugmeister

Redington Field Kits - user feedback ?

Anyone fish the Redington Field Kits yet? Curious to hear feedback, particularly on the Bass or the euro-nymph versions. I have a credit with Redington burning a hole in pocket…. To date I have never tried Euro nymphing with a rod designed for purpose. On the Bass field kit, was thinking about...
  9. Bugmeister

Bucking the trend (?) - Article on Apache trout recovery

Noticed this article in passing the other day. Not sure if any members have more intel, but at least the article suggests that with help from tribes, nonprofits like Trout Unlimited, and the federal government, the Apache trout is making somewhat of a recovery. Score one for trout...
  10. Bugmeister

Fishing Glass and Pulling Trash: a Day at the Urban Fishery

Had some time free yesterday mid-day, and opted to string up one of my favorite fiberglass rods and fish/hike for an hour at our local (sub)urban fishery. Fishing was slow - a refusal on a dry and missed one on a dropper - but did manage to bring something pic-worthy to hand: It got deposited...
  11. Bugmeister

Costa Rica “Blast” and Cast Trip Report (lame photos)

Was in Costa Rica from 6/19-6/26 (Papagayo Peninsula). Back for a week but just getting time to pen a brief trip report today given how busy work has been since my return. Context: I have been to Costa Rica many times over the years, either for surf trips or if I am with my family, family...
  12. Bugmeister

Westside bass check-in

With the wetter and cooler than average spring we have had, I’m curious if anyone is finding things getting off to a slower start. I didn’t have time to break out my kayak yesterday, but did walk down and worked from shore for a bit. Did catch a few immature bass and one perch but didn’t see...
  13. Bugmeister

The Future has Arrived (?)

My friend sent this to me. At first I thought it was an April Fools joke, but turns out.....no? Kind of ridiculous, or is it kind of genius? @Billy is into boats. @Josh is posting about bikes. Have I just found the perfect crossover?
  14. Bugmeister

Westside lake report - warden putting in work

Yesterday I wanted to work some kinks out in my stillwater fishing and ever evolving boat setup game, so headed over to a popular westside lake. They seemed to really like balanced leeches and my chosen chronomid pattern, but i did not want to fish indicators so switched back to just stripping...
  15. Bugmeister

WTT These silly, scaled down tents for....something fly fishing related?

OK I have some tents - scaled down versions but in concept identical to their much bigger brothers - and am wondering if anyone would be interested in a trade of some kind. Kind of unique - there are likely not many of these around as they were created by the manufacturer as one-offs - and fun...
  16. Bugmeister

The Obligatory Pedal Kayak thread

I am considering another fishing kayak. At present i have a fishing kayak i really like, but it doesn’t have a pedal/drive system. Question - anyone on here using a pedal kayak of some variety? For anyone using Hobie kayaks, i am curious to hear about the mirage 180 system. It look as if you...
  17. Bugmeister

Big Sky Hospitality

I wrote and posted this to that other forum (...) a few years ago, but decided today to pull it and post it here. Couple of reasons why, with the most notable being I realized that I am now the only one in the story who is still alive; revisiting this memory makes me smile. Chapter 1: A Montana...
  18. Bugmeister

stoke - pics that make you wish you were there?

I don’t enjoy having my picture taken, take very few photos unless they are pics of my kiddos, and to top it all off am a very poor photographer when I do take a shot from time to time. Kind of a trifecta of bad photography. All that said, I have always admired folks on this forum’s predecessor...