Westside bass check-in

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
With the wetter and cooler than average spring we have had, I’m curious if anyone is finding things getting off to a slower start.

I didn’t have time to break out my kayak yesterday, but did walk down and worked from shore for a bit.

Did catch a few immature bass and one perch but didn’t see any larger fish where i would typically see them this time of year.

Any advice for presentation and location in westside lakes between now and the next ~ month or so? I am going to try to get out in my kayak and really poke around today or tomorrow.

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
I'm seeing pre spawn LMB activity in the lake I fish.
I caught 4 and lost 3 Tuesday using gear.
One was a large Largemouth. 😣

Thank you for that report. If i may ask, what were you using? As a fly guy I’m not well versed on gear tactics but...something like a crank bait, or a senyo worm thing, or ? For prespawn in temps like we are having, can I be lazy and fish midday or afternoon and still get interest with a popper, or will I need to stay subsurface? I tend to catch more and bigger fish on this lake subsurface but all I really want to do is fish poppers.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My experience has been limited to a private lake near Yelm.
The fish haven't given me much action on flies.....a 5/1 ratio favoring my gear buddies. They have been doing well on spinner baits, salamanders and frogs.
IMG_2465.jpg

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Thank you for that report. If i may ask, what were you using? As a fly guy I’m not well versed on gear tactics but...something like a crank bait, or a senyo worm thing, or ? For prespawn in temps like we are having, can I be lazy and fish midday or afternoon and still get interest with a popper, or will I need to stay subsurface? I tend to catch more and bigger fish on this lake subsurface but all I really want to do is fish poppers.
1653155657974.png
A swimbait like this though with more of a trout colored bait. I/4 oz tungsten weighted hook. Subsurface obviously.
Morning was slow then I had 7 hits landing 4 from 1:30 to 3:00. Fishing 3 -4' feet deep through emerging bulrushes with a a medium fast retrieval. Water temp was 59 to 60 degrees.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
I did at least see some small bass and panfish in the shallows yesterday, but even late afternoon the temps were still <58°. Chat at boat launches and passing boats have all bemoaned the slow start.
I think if you can find warmer water you have a shot.
Soon!

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I'm seeing pre spawn LMB activity in the lake I fish.
Interestingly enough I saw no action (and neither did either of the other dudes I talked to) at another westside lake yesterday evening and again this morning that is close to the one Wanative is likely talking about. Watertemp was below 58 though and it's a bit deeper of a lake.

I was fishing poppers and buggers on the fly and a senko and soft swimbait on a gear rod.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Caught 2 LMB running about a pound on poppers Thursday in a shallow north whatcom pond, along with countless gills on poppers. Went back today, gills all over the shoreline and aggressive, first time all year I've been able to see the Wolfpack following the fly. It is coming. Is it here? Maybe!!!

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Last week I went out to a lake I’ve caught bass on. fishing gear too. Forgot all my tackle, just had two rods strung up each with worm and curly tail grub. Well that was something. Fished till I lost both in the weeds. One worm challenge as I said. And I lost.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Last week I went out to a lake I’ve caught bass on. fishing gear too. Forgot all my tackle, just had two rods strung up each with worm and curly tail grub. Well that was something. Fished till I lost both in the weeds. One worm challenge as I said. And I lost.
My kind of fishing report!