Search results

1. NRC

Westside lakes waking up?

I’ve got a rare afternoon window tomorrow, so I’m thinking I’ll try a south of Tacoma lake with lots of types of spiny rays available. Will post here if anything worth sharing happens. Anyone out there have some success this weekend with the warm-ish snap?
  2. NRC

First fish of 2024

Starting the thread in hopes of having something to post in it tomorrow. Please share your first catch of the new year too. My sincere best new year wishes to all of our native PNW fish species. May you feed and spawn abundantly in clean, cool, and oxygen-rich waters. May all anglers besides me...
  3. NRC

What’s your app-enabled meat thermometer of choice?

Been trying to get better at smoking (meat, lol), and I’m hitting a wall with the traeger plug in probe and my standard stick-it-in kitchen thermometer. Those of you who use a digital probe that can transmit to your phone, what’s your product of choice? Thanks in advance!
  4. NRC

Boat registration in WA

I’ve done some reading and googling, but haven’t found a good answer to my conundrum - hoping the great minds of PNWFF might have some answers. I got a sweetheart deal on a used 16’ driftboat and it’s now sitting in my garage. Here’s the chain of events that leads to my issue. 1. My friend’s...
  5. NRC

Shoring up a suspect ferrule

Story as old as time - butt section of the rod worked loose over too many casts and too little checking, and the male ferrule popped out of the female ferrule on a cast. At least I think I’m using the word ferrule correctly there. Anyway, on inspection there may be a small hairline crack, but...
  6. NRC

MA 9 days restriction

Just noticed that MA 9 is only open Thursdays thru Saturdays for July. Bummer! Was that how it was last year? Editing to make more clear - open starting July 13th.
  7. NRC

Need a car to haul my boat

This isn’t quite a wtb thread. Unless it turns into one I guess. I have gotten my hands on a drift boat. The problem is I don’t have a vehicle to tow it with yet. We’re needing to upgrade to a bigger family car anyway, though. The tentative plan is to go the Subaru route. Outback or Forester...
  8. NRC

Shad flies

Please post your favorite patterns - hoping to plagiarize some for some June fishing up by willamette falls. I think there was a really good shad fly thread on the old site but I don’t go there anymore.
  9. NRC

Puerto Vallarta in May recommendations

Headed to PV in May. Doing some guide research online but would love to hear any recommendations. Also looking for someone to talk me in or out of bringing a rod. I’ll be staying at a place just south of the bay. Family trip, by the way, so probably just do one guided trip, and any DIY would...
  10. NRC

Rezzies

Looking like I’ll be able to get out for the first time in too many months on Saturday. Unfortunately only for a small window around high tide. As I try and choose my beach I’m wondering if people have been running into many rezzies yet. Seems like they’ve generally been sparser in the south...
  11. NRC

DIY display case for wall

Anyone here have good tips or links for making one’s own fly display case? I’m picturing some kinda framed glass case with flies mounted within. My ties definitely don’t particularly deserve it, but I thought it’d be a fun little art project to hang above my tying area. I’m not getting out to...
  12. NRC

PSA: cute little picnic table available at Tacoma narrows

Would have grabbed it myself but I have a baby strapped to me. Looks to be in good condition! About 2/3 of the way to the bridge in the shade. Get it before the tide does!
  13. NRC

NFR Anyone Airbnb hosts on PNWFF?

My wife and I have a detached unit in back of our house that we’re considering remodeling to use as a short term rental. Structurally it’s in good shape, but it would be the full package of gaining permits, running utilities, and redoing the interior to add subdivision and generally make...
  14. NRC

Area 9 Opener

Couldn’t ask for a more perfect tide setup for the July 14 Area 9 opener: One of the bigger exchanges of the year, with high slack right around sunrise. I’ll be out flogging some Hansville beaches for one last skunking before my wife’s July 22 due date - anyone else joining the fun?
  15. NRC

The “call your shot” thread

Here’s the rules - you post what you think you’re going to catch before your trip. After your trip, edit your post to append the results. Edit original post rather than post a reply so everyone’s prediction and results stay together. Gold tier: correctly guess all the different species, total...
  16. NRC

Material switchups

I had a nice idea at the vise for once, although I’m sure I’m not the first person to think of this. Lateral scale flash actually makes for pretty good dragonfly wings. I’d be curious to see some of y’all’s unconventional material substitutions.
  17. NRC

Wet and spiny

Got after em today in the rain. Technically a four species day but I forgot to take a pic of the yellow perch. Stockers were showing but uninterested in my offerings.
  18. NRC

NFR In-line, self rotating potable water storage

I’m not much of a prepper, but I do like the idea of having some drinking water available in the event the big one hits. I’m also lazy and don’t like the idea of having to rotate my water supply every six months. That combination of things led me to do some research on whether there are any...
  19. NRC

Break-in at Victor

My luck with tweakers finally ran out. This happened in Victor, WA - many of you probably know the spot. Broad daylight on a busy highway. They were in and out in about 30 seconds. Thought I heard something from the water, but didn’t check for five minutes or so. Nothing of value taken because...
  20. NRC

The most expensive hook

This one costs $500. PSA to double check that your tying area is clean. I thought I’d done a good job, but apparently not. Also, I always debarb, but the new policy is to do so as soon as the hook comes out of the package. Sometimes I’ll stage a few before working with them, which must be how...