Shoring up a suspect ferrule

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Story as old as time - butt section of the rod worked loose over too many casts and too little checking, and the male ferrule popped out of the female ferrule on a cast. At least I think I’m using the word ferrule correctly there.

Anyway, on inspection there may be a small hairline crack, but the rod still casts fine, and if there is a crack it is small and quite limited in length.

I’m inclined to keep fishing the rod rather than sending it in for repair. My question is, is there anything y’all would do to strengthen the female ferrule? Some kind of wrapping job? I don’t know anything about rod building so please phrase your answers as though you’re speaking to a child.

Any advice is appreciated!

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
wrap the female ferrule with size A nylon thread for a distance about a quarter inch longer than the male ferrule. Coat with epoxy, varnish, or Sally Hanson Hard as Nails. When the wrap is dry, your rod should be good to go. Presumably there is already a factory or builder's wrap on the female ferrule, but sometimes these are only a quarter to 3/8" long, which should be good enough, but not if you make a habit of casting while the ferrules are loose fitting. I'm not sure how you could not notice that happening, but it must have.

Reactions: NRC

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
thanks! I’ll give that a try.

I’m not sure how I could not notice it happening either. Salmon fever…

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
I need to not read these post titles in such a hurried manner. At first glimpse I thought this one said "Snoring up a suspect female." Imagine the disappointment upon further inspection.:rolleyes: