Puget Sound

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Good outing! You can’t go wrong with that fly pattern. Judging from pic #4, the White Claw and Twisted Tea guys have not hit the beaches yet.

Its just a matter of time before they show up. They always do! ;)
SF

jeradjames

Steelhead
Lots of fry in the north sound this week. Still not seeing many cutthroat though.
Crude photo, hard to capture them. Tried to scoop up a few to see if they were pink or chum but no luck. I’m gonna guess pink based off of my local S river's returns and the back on these.
IMG_8904.jpeg

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Took a drive this morning do some exploring, hoping to find fry.
Only one participation trophy handed out today. I saw no fry, but the water was a bit lumpy due to the north wind. Much cooler than forecast at 41° when I started fishing at 6:00. Called it a day at 11:00. Nice day to just get out.
SF

IMG_7046.jpegIMG_7072.jpeg

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Headed out this morning in @Kfish boat. Found some baitfish, not sure they were fry but nothing was really on them. Overall, a pretty slow day. When we saw fish splashing, slurping or jumping we got them to eat for the most part. I just did not seem like there were many fish around, even fishing a known honey hole and some new water that looked amazing. Those spots kicked out fish, just not a ton of them. Shrimp fly was the most productive again today.

Beautiful day though the wind kicked up a bit which made part of our time on the water a little sporty.

IMG_4751.jpeg

Some fish…

IMG_4753.jpeg

IMG_4749.jpeg

IMG_4750.jpeg

IMG_4752.jpeg

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Slow day, a few small fish to hand. Started at 5:45 and called it a day at 10:00.
Had flat water and saw no fry. Eat too sunny.

Found this worm lying on the beach. Still alive but almost severed in half. Maybe a bird got it? Top of my rod handle to the end of the but section is 11” for reference. I assume this is a polychaete worm, but I can’t recall seeing one this long and thick.
@Cabezon what are your thoughts?

IMG_7092.jpegIMG_7093.jpegIMG_7094.jpeg

Also had a cayman checking me out. 😉

IMG_7089.jpeg

Nice day to be out. Now time for yard work.
SF

IMG_7088.jpeg

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Slow day, a few small fish to hand. Started at 5:45 and called it a day at 10:00.
Had flat water and saw no fry. Eat too sunny.

Found this worm lying on the beach. Still alive but almost severed in half. Maybe a bird got it? Top of my rod handle to the end of the but section is 11” for reference. I assume this is a polychaete worm, but I can’t recall seeing one this long and thick.
@Cabezon what are your thoughts?

View attachment 110645View attachment 110646View attachment 110647

Also had a cayman checking me out. 😉

Nice day to be out. Now time for yard work.
SF
When I think of large polychaetes in the PNW, my first thought is Neanthes (formerly Nereis) brandti (the giant pileworm). This species can reach 3-4 feet long. But N. brandti is a thicker-bodied worm than what your pictures show. More likely, this is Nereis vexillosa (mussel worm). They can reach a length of 15". Both species can be found in exactly the habitat shown in your pictures - sandy gravel, in the intertidal and nearshore subtidal.
Steve

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
When I think of large polychaetes in the PNW, my first thought is Neanthes (formerly Nereis) brandti (the giant pileworm). This species can reach 3-4 feet long. But N. brandti is a thicker-bodied worm than what your pictures show. More likely, this is Nereis vexillosa (mussel worm). They can reach a length of 15". Both species can be found in exactly the habitat shown in your pictures - sandy gravel, in the intertidal and nearshore subtidal.
Steve

Thanks Steve,
Much appreciated.
One last question if I may.
In regards to its condition, any guesses on what might have severed it? There were some birds earlier where I found it. Not sure what type of birds as they were down the beach a ways.
SF

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Thanks Steve,
Much appreciated.
One last question if I may.
In regards to its condition, any guesses on what might have severed it? There were some birds earlier where I found it. Not sure what type of birds as they were down the beach a ways.
SF
Hi SF,
Sorry, not a clue. Could be a bird, could be a crab.
Steve

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Took the boat out for a few hours this afternoon. More of a practice solo launching and trailering type of outing than fishing. Only fished two spots. Lost three average cutts right at the boat. Saw but did not touch them :). Also saw a few small baitfish/fry popping on the surface. Nothing really on them again except for some birds. Super bright (did not launch until 10 or so). Still a great day in April to be on the water ripping around the sound.

IMG_4760.jpeg