What's your favorite dry or emerger Callibaetis pattern?

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
One of my favorite hatches is the callibaetis on some of the PNW lakes I fish. I love it when the trout are rising to the hatching flies. I usually fish a parachute Adams size 14 or 16 but always wonder if there are even more effective flies I should tie and fish. What flies do you prefer?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
This pattern linked below works, but I’m also partial to parachutes, albeit customized a bit to body color to match naturals, and with some kind of shuck for a tail material.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
look up Quigley's callibaetis cripple. Very effective pattern. On one occasion on a central Oregon lake I was doing very well, catching a lot of fish, and noticed another angler not far away doing as well as I was so being curious I asked what he was using. He said an emerger. I said I was using a cripple. So we decided to check each other's fly. It was the same pattern,. I tie others for fun and experimenting but that has been the most dependable.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
The washington lake callibaetis duns which I've turned over have a olive or brown-olive bellies so I usually fish a callibaetis dun imitation with a dun tail, olive or olive-brown body, dun hackle and dun parachute post.

The callibaetis spinners I've looked at have a darker body which is well represented by a stripped peacock quill or by grey dubbing body. If you use a stripped peacock quill, coat the body with hard as nails fingernail polish for durability.

From left. Callibaetis parachute. Two hackle callibaetis mayfly. Callibaetis quill spinner.

D7EF3165-EA48-469C-A6C9-2C6877492945_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
The Challenged ones (Umpqua, Rio) are widely effective. I also really like the Pablo's Cripple for browns and bigger fish. That profile tends to get slurped in shallow/visible conditions. Keep your readers handy if your eyes are anything like mine.

L to R: Challenged Mayfly Emerger, Pablo's Crippled Callibaetis
1713176229427.png1713176144115.png

Last edited:

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I fish the hatch on Hebgen Lake and have had the best luck with a flashback pt nymph dropper under a callabaetis colored parachute. I've met a few fishermen there who consider that beneath them, like it's cheating. Call me a cheater, I don't care, it works very well.
sure is fun swinging egg sucking leeches to those Bowns when they enter the Madison in fall...

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I fish the hatch on Hebgen Lake and have had the best luck with a flashback pt nymph dropper under a callabaetis colored parachute. I've met a few fishermen there who consider that beneath them, like it's cheating. Call me a cheater, I don't care, it works very well.
How long is your dropper below your dry?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Maybe a bit odd for a dry on lakes, but I’ve done will with an irresistible Adams. Floats like a cork and have even caught fish, especially native coastal cutts stripping it in so it is just slightly submerged.
An old emerger pattern that still works well today is the timberline emerger.
SF

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
The Challenged ones (Umpqua, Rio) are widely effective. I also really like the Pablo's Cripple for browns and bigger fish. That profile tends to get slurped in shallow/visible conditions. Keep your readers handy if your eyes are anything like mine.

View attachment 110733View attachment 110732
I really like variations of Quigley's Cripple for a mayfly hatch that we sometimes time just right on our late May trips to the Kamloops area. I've never heard of "Pablo's" - I like the profile but am not sure what I'm seeing (there's no doubt countless variations, eh?) with the thorax and hackle.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter

View attachment 110733View attachment 110732

I like that profile, too—sticks above and below water. The fish often agree.
Here are a couple of my ties. Basically, klinkhammers with a deer hair or elk hair post. I like having the thorax a darker color, too. IMG_0352.jpeg

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I like a biot body spinner with cdc for the wings but good cdc is hard to come by so most tyers have gone with antron. John does a pretty good job with his tie's....

View attachment 110719
Are the callibaetis spinners around you that paler tan color? I have not caught this hatch too often, but the callibaetis spinners I have seen in Washington have all had a dark gray body.

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Are the callibaetis spinners around you that paler tan color? I have not caught this hatch too often, but the callibaetis spinners I have seen in Washington have all had a dark gray body.
I am a big fan of biot-bodied parachute flies for Callibaetis duns. While this style is VERY delicate, these lake trout can get very picky and I like the slim, segmented profile that the biot body provides. The parachute body rides right at the surface. I have cast to cruising fish at Chopaka and at Leech Lake and had a rejection or three before the fish finally takes the fly on the next cast in its path. I also have some Quigley cripples and spent spinners because sometimes that is what they want.
At a place like Dry Falls or Rocky Ford, the Callibaetis are very light. But as you rise higher in the mountains, the mayflies, especially the wings, are more speckled. I have two colors with me for these different locations.
Steve

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I am a big fan of biot-bodied parachute flies for Callibaetis duns. While this style is VERY delicate, these lake trout can get very picky and I like the slim, segmented profile that the biot body provides. The parachute body rides right at the surface. I have cast to cruising fish at Chopaka and at Leech Lake and had a rejection or three before the fish finally takes the fly on the next cast in its path. I also have some Quigley cripples and spent spinners because sometimes that is what they want.
At a place like Dry Falls or Rocky Ford, the Callibaetis are very light. But as you rise higher in the mountains, the mayflies, especially the wings, are more speckled. I have two colors with me for these different locations.
Steve
Interesting. The duns I see are lighter-bodied and have speckled wings, but I've never seen speckled wings on a spinner, and the spinners are always dark-bodied.