What's in your vise?

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
It's the color scheme in my case. View attachment 110196
Definately good police (cop)car color: black and white. The fellow that chatted me up on Leighton picked out one of his "patrol car" patterns to show me. This is sort of what I thought he'd tied:
patrol car.JPG

at any rate; the fly above sometimes works well on a local large river. Sometimes.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Another famous "Cop Car" pattern was a fly that Dennis Dickson used for guiding steelhead up on the Skagit / Stilly. He created a bit of mystique about it as he never published photos or descriptions of it, you had to book a guided trip to get to see the killer pattern. I think I finally figured out it was a wrapped white marabou fly with a streak of blue flashabou on top and I think a red flashabou throat below. It does sound like it would be a pretty good pattern for a lot of fisheries.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Another famous "Cop Car" pattern was a fly that Dennis Dickson used for guiding steelhead up on the Skagit / Stilly. He created a bit of mystique about it as he never published photos or descriptions of it, you had to book a guided trip to get to see the killer pattern. I think I finally figured out it was a wrapped white marabou fly with a streak of blue flashabou on top and I think a red flashabou throat below. It does sound like it would be a pretty good pattern for a lot of fisheries.
That’s correct
Blue Flashabou and red crystal flash
The marabou is tied in but first to get the proper profile
Cops drive black & whites and all white

RichS

Life of the Party
A snail- sorta. Trout in central and eastern Washington lakes are sometimes found to have eaten a bunch of snails. My thought with this one is a sinking line with a short leader right on the bottom fished very slowly.
Not sure this will work at all, but I have hope. Testing tomorrow.
IMG_2691.jpeg
Hook: Daiichi 1550 #12
Underbody: Peacock
Body: 1/8” olive foam cylinder
Foot/head: body material colored dark brown with marker.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
A snail- sorta. Trout in central and eastern Washington lakes are sometimes found to have eaten a bunch of snails. My thought with this one is a sinking line with a short leader right on the bottom fished very slowly.
Not sure this will work at all, but I have hope. Testing tomorrow.
View attachment 110225
Hook: Daiichi 1550 #12
Underbody: Peacock
Body: 1/8” olive foam cylinder
Foot/head: body material colored dark brown with marker.
Neat idea! Please share the testing results.

Scottp

Legend
FAM

53646814216_5b396fd5ac_c.jpg

53647154694_5448ec80a1_c.jpg

53647276530_8985d947cf_c.jpg

Foam was half of a 1/4” cylinder cut with a hollow punch drill bit (came in a set from Harbor Freight; much cheaper than the Upavon ones).

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 light olive
butt - foam chartreuse
rib - small wire hot yellow
body - Starburst dubbing olive
hackle(s) - hot orange/neon green
shoulder - chukar dyed chartreuse (1 Tbs Rit Neon Yellow/1 cup water)
collar/head - deer hair

Regards,
Scott

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
View attachment 110346

Nick Clayton style beadchain clouded. Looks darn close to a chum fry to me! Thanks to @Stonedfish for some great new tying tools, materials, and some pretty files. The whip finish was way nicer to use than the one that came with my vice
@Stonedfish is an inspiration to all salty fisher folk on this forum and beyond. I know I’ve learned a lot from him and he has taught me a bunch and has inspired me a ton over the years.

Scottp

Legend
Bloody Mango Muddler

53647882102_d3ee9c29cc_c.jpg

53648755661_6ab901fe05_c.jpg

53648755656_7ce0a03975_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - SemperFli 8/0 black
butt - Orvis Saltwater thread fluoro orange/resin
rib - small wire hot orange
body - Ice Dub Harder’s Bloody Black
hackle - grizzly dyed mango
shoulder - golden pheasant body feather red
collar/head - deer hair

Regards,
Scott

copperJon

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Stonedfish is an inspiration to all salty fisher folk on this forum and beyond. I know I’ve learned a lot from him and he has taught me a bunch and has inspired me a ton over the years.
This fly was gifted to me by @Stonedfish 14 years ago, on a windy evening at a west side beach of note. Cheers to the legend!IMG_3641.JPG

Edit: So realistic it even poops deer hair apparently.

Last edited: