NFR 2024 Garden and Growing Things thread

Non-fishing related

JudyM

Steelhead

Semi-Cascade Style, Han-Kengai.... Working on my Jason Momoa promotional popcorn-bucket bansai today. That bucket has styrofoam in it up until basically the pec line, plus a bunch of drainage holes, obviously. We get so many little maple seed starts in the yard that dumb stuff like this can turn out pretty fun. Plus when I get bored with it, it goes out on the front step with a free sign and this thing is guaranteed gone in 10 minutes...

View attachment 108952
In Portland, it would be gone reguardless if it is free or not.

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
In Portland, it would be gone regardless if it is free or not.
Hypothetical.... you think I have a shot to barter (picturing at say Alberta farmer's market) a minvan full of Mamoa-themed bansai for a #vanlifer's partially built out sprinter?

JudyM

Steelhead
Alberta is a pretty safe area, it has been gentrified. I would still be cautious. Anytime I HAVE TO go into Portland, I conceal carry (Yes, I have the permit).

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
When making that stuff at home, remember that Kefir can be 1-2% ethanol (or more) under home conditions. This can lead to...detectable traces of alcohol in the bloodstream. Not intoxication per se, but detectable levels nonetheless. The commercial stuff is controlled so as to limit the organisms leading to ethanol production during fermentation.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter

Semi-Cascade Style, Han-Kengai.... Working on my Jason Momoa promotional popcorn-bucket bansai today. That bucket has styrofoam in it up until basically the pec line, plus a bunch of drainage holes, obviously. We get so many little maple seed starts in the yard that dumb stuff like this can turn out pretty fun. Plus when I get bored with it, it goes out on the front step with a free sign and this thing is guaranteed gone in 10 minutes...

View attachment 108952
Love maple starts - such beautiful grace and form… not describing the container it is growing in.

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
62795271-A6B1-459C-9A4A-0B1AD07CB4EC.jpeg

View attachment 108952

One of my bonsai is covered with some sort of furry thing. It goes away on rainy days though.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Lots of pollen right now.
My other white car is turning green.
SF

IMG_7113.jpeg

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Spring is a bit later here in Chicagoland; my daffodils are only now in bloom.

I planted 181 cloves of garlic last October, and they are looking great; I planted another 150 onions (yellow and red) last week. This weekend's weather was glorious here, so I planted dill, tomatoes, Chinese cucumbers, loofah gourds, two kinds of runner beans, sweet peas, potatoes, zucchini, summer squash, green onions, cilantro, Italian parsley, I think that's it.

I've got a space about 15' x 4' that I still need to fill. I'd like bush beans, but man, the rabbits love them and always find a way into my garden. Green Peppers maybe, but it's too late to start them so I'll need to go to a nursery or big box, yech.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Vandelay Industries

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the idea - neighborhood cats love to dig in our yard - I can almost tolerate that sh-- when they dig outside the raised beds. I might sub bird netting (if I get the energy to do what you've done). Nice!!
It's taken some time. Lots of stapling but a pneumatic stapler helps. I still have five more panels to build.