Interior BC patterns?

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
last week of May
If I were planning that trip I’d be covering chironomids, callibaetis, scuds, and leeches. I enjoy the indicator game and I’ve generally found that the patterns I fish locally work in BC lakes as well. Certainly trolling Careys and Boobies can get it done anytime.

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
If I were planning that trip I’d be covering chironomids, callibaetis, scuds, and leeches. I enjoy the indicator game and I’ve generally found that the patterns I fish locally work in BC lakes as well. Certainly trolling Careys and Boobies can get it done anytime.
Any specifics I shouldn't be without.

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I usually do well with pumpkinheads and rootbeer body/red-ribbed chironies...but prob my most effective is a dragonfly nymph boobie...either trolled or cast/slow stripped. Here's a pic which explains my process...I usually do a foam strip underbody, which enable me to do smaller eyes...fished on full sink line with 4 - 5' tippet.

dragonfly boobie nymph.jpg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I don't see blobs mentioned, worthwhile to have some. While @PeteM mentions pumpkinheads*, how about plain damselfly nymphs in a few muted colors (colours - BC, eh), last year Keith slayed 'em casting skinny, sparsely dressed tan coloured damselfly nymphs towards shore, close to shore, while Herb and I tried to figure out why our mayfly emergers were being mostly ignored. Sometimes it's the streamer that gets the bite. Bring the kitchen sink.

* Thread drift: A guide we've used a few times in the Thompson Nicola area told us he was fishing Tunkwa/Leighton and catching some fish. He caught a big, fat ripe hen and "milked the doe" (his term for squeezing roe from the ripe hen). He noticed that damselfly nymphs were eating the eggs so he came up with the idea for the pumpkin head.

Good luck, we'll be up there May 29th through June 6th.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I usually do well with pumpkinheads and rootbeer body/red-ribbed chironies...but prob my most effective is a dragonfly nymph boobie...either trolled or cast/slow stripped. Here's a pic which explains my process...I usually do a foam strip underbody, which enable me to do smaller eyes...fished on full sink line with 4 - 5' tippet.

View attachment 108950
Do you tie this in shades of olive and/or brown or is black your go to? Very cool!

Mud Puppy.JPG

Like Billy and Troutpocket; sometimes something "that ain't a fly" (quote my long time fishing friend) works............