IMG-6536.jpg

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Balanced Pheasant Softhackle

53556838495_eb13761b7e_c.jpg

53556838490_7effbc9c9f_c.jpg

53555536027_bc644fbc46_c.jpg

A deeper riding version of the original.

hook - WFC Model 19 #12
thread - Uni 8/0 camel
pin - #17 1 1/16”
bead - 5/32” black
rib - small wire hot orange
tail - pheasant neck
abdomen- pheasant tail
thorax - Ice Dub pheasant tail
shoulder - pheasant rump
collar - pheasant aftershaft

Regards,
Scott
what are you taking your fly pics with?

Scottp

Legend
what are you taking your fly pics with?
A 17 yr old Canon Powershot SD750 p&s that appears to have a decent macro (the black band across the middle is a hair scrunchy the keeps the battery door in place).

53557273426_0b0b637d24_c.jpg

My setup is very basic - an Ott light + 2 clamp-on lights (LED), and a piece of grey craft foam as a background. No tripod; all shots are hand-held.

43274630620_ba7bb3b70b_c.jpg

That's all there is to it.

Regards,
Scott

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Some small unweighted flies for some of the oceanside flats. The fish can be up in 6 to 10 inches of water at certain tides crawling around with their dorsals and tails out of the water. They tend to be smaller fish, mostly 2 to 5 pounds, but they are a hoot to fish for in that shallow water. You really get to watch the whole show and they are spooky.

View attachment 105116
black mono eyes?

Scottp

Legend
Balanced Shrimp-Topus

53557344837_2dc24b2397_c.jpg

53557342902_d2579e86c4_c.jpg

53558397388_80683ef97e_c.jpg

Modifying an Irish lough tie for Montana stillwaters. Not sure if it’ll work but I’ve caught some of those horny spawners on weirder stuff; they’re not the varsity, they have other things on their minds.

hook - WFC Model 20 #14
thread - Uni 8/0 fire orange
pin - #17 1 1/16”
bead - 5/32 hot orange
tail - UV-X dubbing bright orange
rib - small wire gold
body - Ice Dub shrimp pink
hackle - grizzly dyed mango
1st shoulder - golden pheasant body feather red
2nd shoulder - mottled hen

Regards,
Scott

Otter

Steelhead
Droppers for an upcoming trout trip, dropped off small Chubbies.
View attachment 105260
Hot looking little flies! I really like bead head flies on jig hooks.
I notice most of them have the bead's slot facing forward. How do you keep the beads from falling down over the hook eye? My solution to keep the eye clear is to put the bead on the hook with the slot facing backwards. That way, the small round hole of the bead stops the bead at the back of the eye.

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
Hot looking little flies! I really like bead head flies on jig hooks.
I notice most of them have the bead's slot facing forward. How do you keep the beads from falling down over the hook eye? My solution to keep the eye clear is to put the bead on the hook with the slot facing backwards. That way, the small round hole of the bead stops the bead at the back of the eye.
Thanks, they did well as droppers a year ago on the same river so we'll see if that carries over.

When the slot is facing the eye on the jig hook and it goes over eye if you back it off the eye a bit and spin 180 degrees it shouldn't go over the eye. Hope that makes sense.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Watched a @SpawnFlyFish video and borrowed this one from them. Didn’t have any jig hooks like their pattern. I really like the v-rib parr mark treatment.
SF

IMG_0162.jpeg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
View attachment 105275

First try at this pattern. Would like to see how it swims.
I'd be happy to test it for you! Very cool!

Purging two fly boxes today - I decided to take a close look at my collection of hares ears. The past couple years, during a decent mayfly hatch, I didn't seem to have much luck with mine. Then last fall I managed to hook and land a nice brown trout on a flash back hares ear I found tucked beneath a heavily dressed fly. These are 14's and the tails are too long, I need to tie a few 16's and maybe a few 18's as well.

IMG_3631.jpg

Last edited: