Weight - Lead free wire
Thread - Olive
Ribbing - Gold wire
Shell back - Strip of zip lock bag
Body - Olive and brown dubbing
Very nice; all three.

Otter

Steelhead
The photo doesn't show it, but there's a band of red tying thread visible from underneath just behind the spun head. I was browsing fly tying materials website and saw where tufts of uni-stretch is sometimes used to imitate gills. I'm going to add an extra step and try that on my next batch if I have any in red or wine colored uni-stretch.
That is a great idea to use red Uni Stretch for gills. I don’t get consistent results with exposing the amount of red thread that I like. I think a tuft of Uni Stretch would be better. Thanks a lot for that idea!

BTW, the Rolled Muddler is one of my top three patterns for sea run cutthroat off our mid-east coast of Vancouver Island beaches; the others being the Pearl Micky, and a work-in-progress olive amphipod.
I just wish we had decent numbers of SRCs, like I read about you Washington state forum members enjoy. Maps of Puget Sound look amazing to me, with so many inlets, islands, gravel beaches, and tons of streams. Our coastline is pretty much exposed, and the few streams are mostly nutrient-poor, and have been degraded by poor logging practices and development. Some day I hope to make an SRC trip to your neck of the woods.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Liquid-Lady-1080.jpg

Liquid Lady

(Chaoborus Pupa)

Hook - Curved
Bead - Black nickel brass or tungsten
Thread - Light olive
Horns - Black krystal flash
Ribbing - Light olive or clear stretch tubing or v-rib
Body - Tying thread and chirony skin or clear tinsel

BCFlyguys

Scottp

Legend
BHMB Attractor

53231901535_13b97e0fd7_c.jpg

53231780184_45dbf79fb0_c.jpg

53230530147_0934f00031_c.jpg

53231400591_3f3c18f9f9_c.jpg

53230530122_7fddf62f98_c.jpg

Mayfly, stonefly, terrestrial, general attractor - could pass for pretty much anything; legs are optional. BHMB - bullet head/Michigan body.

hook - WFC Model 6 #8
thread - UTC 140 brown
tail - moose body
rib - tying thread
body - deer hair wing - Congo Hair shiner tan
collar/head - deer hair
indicator - 2mm foam orange

Regards,
Scott

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
I am using pheasant rump for the long hackle fibers trailing back, I'm a novice so hopefully others will chime in with options. Imagine back in the day it was Heron.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I am using pheasant rump for the long hackle fibers trailing back, I'm a novice so hopefully others will chime in with options. Imagine back in the day it was Heron.
I think your ties look great. An option for heron like hackling might be blue eared pheasant.

Last edited: