What Are You Eating?

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Well, you know what epoisses smells and tastes like…

I promise not to post any more exotic or gourmet foods in the future…
Yes, thanks to G Smolt. And now I'll never unsee his post or not know what I'm fortunately missing.

Please now, don't be holdin' back on my account. As Gary so kindly pointed out, it's worthwhile, if not important, that I expand my knowledge and appreciation of food beyond my provincial basics. Beside, if you stop posting about high-falutin' foodstuffs, some of my best responses would never get written. This forum is value driven. There is value in sharing knowledge and experiences. Some are broad and expansive. Some are less so. I'm just making sure the corner back lot gets covered too.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Damn! My Thesaurus doesn't list shin as an alternate for beef shank. As to the question, I don't know for sure, but what first comes to mind is the relative percentages of slow-twitch to fast-twitch muscle fiber and amount of tendon and connective tissue. And neither are as tender as back strap loin for reasons along those lines.

And I'll have you know that I'm actively working on expanding my palate. Why I even finally started eating broccoli a short 20 years ago. (Background: when I was a kid, there were very, very few fresh vegetables available during winter. The wagon trains couldn't transport them up here from the Imperial Valley before they spoiled, so it was canned veggies all winter, except for potatoes and some horrid root vegetables.)
Those cuts you disdain, are some of the most flavorful cuts of beef there are. The fat free bullshit tenderloin, is certainly tender if grilled properly, but has little taste or flavor. Meanwhile those lesser cuts, braised or otherwised cooked properly are full of beefy goodness flavors, and are very tender...some of the most flavorful cuts on the animal.
Getting a couple sides of beef the past few years I really learned a lot about the different cuts, how to prepare them, and bring out the best they have to offer. Short ribs, hanger steak, beef shanks, oxtails and many more are worth seeking out and working with.
I can honestly say, the tenderloin is best cooked as a roast, rather than a steak, and is far from our favorite cut...
😁🤣😁

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Those cuts you disdain,
It's not disdain; more like limited knowledge. We raised our own beef when I was a farm kid. Everything that wasn't steak, roast, or ribs, went into the grinder for hamburger. Maybe that's why the hamburger was so tasty. Oh, except for some parts. My Scandinavian grandmother made headcheese with parts from the head, and roulapulsa (sp), which was a rolled up flank filled with all kinds of seasonings and boiled all day. And then there was club - blood sausage, a mixture of fresh blood collected as we bled the just-killed steer and salt and flour. Seems weird now, but I actually ate that stuff. I guess I thought it was good, but I later talked myself into believing that I just didn't know any better.

Thanks for the informative post.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Damn! My Thesaurus doesn't list shin as an alternate for beef shank. As to the question, I don't know for sure, but what first comes to mind is the relative percentages of slow-twitch to fast-twitch muscle fiber and amount of tendon and connective tissue. And neither are as tender as back strap loin for reasons along those lines.

And I'll have you know that I'm actively working on expanding my palate. Why I even finally started eating broccoli a short 20 years ago. (Background: when I was a kid, there were very, very few fresh vegetables available during winter. The wagon trains couldn't transport them up here from the Imperial Valley before they spoiled, so it was canned veggies all winter, except for potatoes and some horrid root vegetables.)
Certainly less tender, which just necessitates a different treatment, braising or sloooow roasting a la other cuts with high collagen levels (brisket, chuck, short ribs). But that doesn't make it inferior, often times it's superior due to much more robust flavor.

Mossback

Forum Supporter
Not a big fan of blood sausages, but have had a few that I liked. Anything made like Rullepølse, regardless of country of origin, if probably pretty good in my view. We do an italian rolled up meat that is stuffed dish, very good.
I like to cook, but admit to getting a bit stuck in ruts at times, just because I like certain flavor combos, and we try and eat the seasonal stuff from our gardens.
I should probably get out more, and get some new ideas and inspirations to change up the dinners around Chateau Mossback, but sort of lazy and busy at the same time in Summer...
When I am not busy, I am lazy.
🤣😁🤣

Mossback

Forum Supporter
Mushroom risotto is always a favorite at our place, had some with...
Grilled chicken and asparagus last weekend.
:)

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
I've been on a smoothie kick. I replaced my old blender with a $40 "Magic Bullet". It comes with several containers with lids. "Smoothies" can be classified as many things such as "fruit", "green", "chocolate protein powder dairy", "yogurt" etc....In others words ..anything you can stuff into the blender. It sounds simple and boring. But, I'm here to tell ya this is a great "hobby". I buy good fruit... (melons, apples, banana, berries etc) throw in some "Simply" fruit punch and some ice. Bang! Delicious and refreshing. Using small amounts of high dollar honey takes the smoothie to another level.

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
I will also use lactose free milk, mixed with chocolate flavored protein powder. I'll add some blue berries or strawberries, and maybe some banana. The combinations are endless, and each batch is an experiment. Again, the addition of just the right amount of honey makes a world of difference. After all, we live in the land of "milk and honey".

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
I'd like to add..I liked my old blender (it made many margaritas), however, the new "Magic Bullet" comes with several "mugs" that have lids. This is a game changer for me. I can create a "smoothie", seal it with the lid, and take it out into the field. No muss, no fuss.... We've all drank smoothies from the grocery store or Jamba Juice, but, IMHO, a person can easily produce a "smoothie" that is far superior to anything that they will find at any store.

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
For my refreshening, icy, fruit smoothies, I find that squeezing in some fresh lime juice makes the fruit flavors really pop. Another thing I sometimes do is dump in a Yoplait yogurt container into the mix. Cherry yogurt combines well with the milk and protein powder.

Reactions: Zak

Bagman

Steelhead
Safeway had a nice bone in pork blade roast, and I couldn’t pass it up. This pic is 3 hrs into it first 6 hrs of smoking, next it will go into the slow cooker 3 hrs on low, then 3 more hours on warm. Cool tell can be deboned. We made fresh salsa and made up some tortillas chips with cheese and some smoked pork.

Attachments

• IMG_5204.jpeg
    IMG_5204.jpeg
    893.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5205.jpeg
    IMG_5205.jpeg
    877.3 KB · Views: 4

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
BTW, I had fresh Columbia River spring Chinook salmon for dinner the last two nights. A friend gifted me some fresh salmon he just caught Friday. In MNSHO, Columbia springer is the world's best salmon, and through much experience I make the world's best, melt in your mouth delicious, BBQ salmon. So I'm not a complete stranger to fine dining.
I have to agree that CR springers are the best of the best salmon. They're still decent table fare as far up as the Icicle but I'd really like one from downriver that still had lice on it.

@Brute - Keep posting pics of your meals prepared in your home and as you travel - very enjoyable to read and picture.

Bagman

Steelhead
I’ve never had much luck with my brisket, it always was just too tough. Up until now I learned a few tricks the other day. This is the pointed half of a brisket. Smoked for 6 hrs on the Weber, then take up to 170F, removed from Weber and place in slow cooker on high for an hour or two, turn down to low for 3-4 hrs then turn on keep warm over night.

Attachments

• IMG_5214.jpeg
    IMG_5214.jpeg
    985 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5215.jpeg
    IMG_5215.jpeg
    592.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5216.jpeg
    IMG_5216.jpeg
    798.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5217.jpeg
    IMG_5217.jpeg