What Are You Eating?

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Planking some halibut for the grill
Is that cedar for the planks? I see those in stores, but I don't get it. It seems that conifer wood exposed to fire or just heat would impart an undesirable and bitter flavor and oder, contrasted with hardwood like alder or mesquite, whose smoke imparts a slightly sweet flavor.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Is that cedar for the planks? I see those in stores, but I don't get it. It seems that conifer wood exposed to fire or just heat would impart an undesirable and bitter flavor and oder, contrasted with hardwood like alder or mesquite, whose smoke imparts a slightly sweet flavor.
Yes, it is cedar…and I have also used hardwood planks as well. It’s well soaked, and on the highest grate setting. At 300 degrees, fish is cooked in 12 minutes, the planks are barely singed (using them mostly for indirect heat)…I threw in a couple chunks of applewood for flavor.

The halibut tasted fantastic…

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Mushroom beef burgers. Two pounds of fresh shrooms to one pound meat. Then cook the shrooms down to one pound and combine so the burgers are 50/50 mushrooms and beef. Plus some onion and parsley, and an egg.
PXL_20220703_022413021.jpg
PXL_20220703_023224343.jpg

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
B5E81684-ED48-4DC1-ABB5-5AC9752A7B6A.jpeg

I’ve been doing it the same way for fifty years with a fail safe Little Chief Smoker (newly replaced - the old original one given to son).

Keeping it simple with basic sugar/salt brine, traditional Alder chips smoke, and fresh mint bright Fraser River bound Sockeye.

Mmmmm good!

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
Lots of lean protein and fresh veggies.

What, you think this body is an accident?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Fresh rockfish Roasted a bed of Napa cabbage, baby bok choy, Serrano and tomato with rice wine and sesame oil. Added a slab of rockfish filet on top of each with a soy sauce, lime juice, rice wine and butter reduction sauce then baked a few more minutes.

1657124120017.png

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I could be tempted to eat the above fish, but would not eat the Mushroom laced Hamburger. I tried to eat some of these things about 60 years ago. but didn't like the taste. I will eat them in soup but that's about the only way. They slide down without chewing. Ugh.

Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I could be tempted to eat the above fish, but would not eat the Mushroom laced Hamburger. I tried to eat some of these things about 60 years ago. but didn't like the taste. I will eat them in soup but that's about the only way. They slide down without chewing. Ugh.
How do you feel about broccoli?

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
How do you feel about broccoli?
I don't like mushrooms, Crab, clam's, oysters, any other kind of lettuce except ice berg. Anchovies. pickled herring. This us a small list of what I won't eat at anytime. I'm a meat and potato kind of guy. Nothing fancy will I eat. I do like broccoli and cauliflower. I wouldn't eat these growing up but I like them now. 60 years since I tried mushrooms. Hell I might like them now.