Recent content by Tobe Hagge

1. T

What Are Your Canoe "Must Haves"?

This style of portage yoke. It spreads the weight evenly over many times the surface area vs a jigsaw and round over bit yoke, and takes the weight off of your spine. Night and day difference...
  2. T

The Obligatory Pedal Kayak thread

My plan in that situation is to use my knife to cut holes in the legs of my waders. I've never been willing to test it though.
  3. T

The more I fish the less I know

I wonder if there's a schooling behavior aspect to it. They're less susceptible to predation if they all feed on the surface at the same time, and it's not exactly a survival advantage if the times are predictable.
  4. T

How fast can I troll?

I am fishing for bass out of a pedal kayak. I read that on the gear-fishing side, a number of lures are designed to work at 2-4 mph, but I'm not getting very many strikes at that speed. I have good luck, in the same waters and with several flies, trolling at around 1 mph. I'd like to get some...
  5. T

Knee Pads

The Hudson has kneepads on the inside, but has panels of stiffer, more durable material in front of the pads. A puncture while kneeling would compromise the suit.
  6. T

Knee Pads

This is a little outside what you are looking for, but I have a Mustang Hudson drysuit which has integrated knee pads. They aren't the most heavy-duty knee protection you could ask for, but greatly increase the circumstances in which I'm willing to kneel and have so far never been a source of...
  7. T

Oregon snowpack suddenly looking much better

Reservations at Hosmer have been cancelled through June 17 due to heavy snow pack.
  8. T

Tips to dry out wading boots

I use a peet dryer for boots but for other equipment (neoprene gloves and hood), I throw them in an electric food dehydrator set to 95F, which is the same temperature as air coming out of the peet dryer. If you happen to have a food dehydrator and are willing to throw your boots in it, I bet it...
  9. T

The Obligatory Pedal Kayak thread

I like to troll backwards as well. I have a Lynx. Peddling forward is hands-free; only occasional tweaks to the rudder in order to track straight. Trolling backwards, I need to keep a hand on the rudder control to keep the boat tracking straight if I am moving at any speed. Is it the same on...